Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 20D question....

windrider
Apprentice

I know it's not a spring chicken...

MY EXPOSURE COMPENSATION IS STUCK?

any mode besides Manual the exposure comp needle is centered and adjustable...

HOWEVER  in the Manual mode

the compensation is stuck at -2.0?

I've tried resettting the camera to defaults, and every possible way of adjusting it.  To no avail!

any one have any idea what I can do to correct this?

Second issue:

I can see dust in my images...  where can I get my lenses cleaned?

they are of canon manufacture...

thanks for your help...

13 REPLIES 13

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@windrider wrote:

I know it's not a spring chicken...

MY EXPOSURE COMPENSATION IS STUCK?

any mode besides Manual the exposure comp needle is centered and adjustable...

HOWEVER  in the Manual mode

the compensation is stuck at -2.0?

I've tried resettting the camera to defaults, and every possible way of adjusting it.  To no avail!

any one have any idea what I can do to correct this?

Second issue:

I can see dust in my images...  where can I get my lenses cleaned?

they are of canon manufacture...

thanks for your help...

In manual mode that longer indicates exposure compensation, but, actual exposure. The camera is just telling you with those settings the image will be severely underexposed. Try decreasing the shutter speed until the indication starts to move, then you can fine tune your aperture, shutter speed and ISO while keeping the needle centered on 0.

You can download the EOS 20D Instruction Manual here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_20...

It is worthwhile to Read The Full Manual.

I pulled it down last night, and read it cover to cover...
I tried adjusting the aperture and the shutter speed;
however even a setting of 400 asa; and f11 didn't budge the 'needle' in a well lit room.

@windrider wrote:
I pulled it down last night, and read it cover to cover...
I tried adjusting the aperture and the shutter speed;
however even a setting of 400asa; andf11 didn't budge the 'needle' in a well lit room.

First what was the shutter speed set at?

ISO 400 and f/11 needs about a 6" (that's 6 seconds) shutter speed for a proper exposure in my living room.

For indoor photography with the 20D you will most likely need a flash.

I don't recall what the top ISO is on the 20D, I know it's 1600 on the 40D.

In my living room at ISO 1600 and f/5.6 I still need a 0"5 (1/2 second) shutter speed for a proper exposure.

There is nothing wrong with your camera. In manual mode the exposure meter is simply telling you that your photo will be severely underexposed.

Putting the camera in P mode will give you an idea of what settings you actually need.

I agree with the above. There isn't any EC in Manual mode. You are simply seeing the light meter's reading & need to adjust your settings to get the needle in the middle. Read how the light meter works in the viewfinder display.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

jhoneil
Apprentice

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for...

See the line on top of the "on" in the on/off switch? Align the switch to that. Now use the big wheel at the back of the camera to adjust the exposure compensation.

Benito
Apprentice

I have a old EOS 20D with 1.0.6 firmware version. How can I Update?. I try with 2.0.3 version but say me "update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card..."

Somebody know how to update to higher firmware version?

Thanks in advaced...

@Benito wrote:

I have a old EOS 20D with 1.0.6 firmware version. How can I Update?. I try with 2.0.3 version but say me "update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card..."

Somebody know how to update to higher firmware version?

Thanks in advaced...

The update file must be at the top level of the file tree on the memory card; otherwise it will not be found.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob...

I follow careful the instruccition on http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eos20d/eos20d_firmware-e.html. I do in a Mac Mini and CF 256 MB. Even put the fir file inside DCIM folder an inside the 100 CANON. Ï mean try several options and the result was the same.

I imagine that the version differences is greater and try to find version betwen 1.0.6 and 2.0.3 but cannot find any.

May I do some wrong. Any idea?

Greetings.

Announcements