cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1Ds Mk II rear control dial doesn't seem to work

Wolfeye
Contributor

Hello. My EOS 1Ds Mk II has a problem. The rear control dial doesn't seem to work, in that it never changes any setting in shooting mode. In all other respects it works fine, but in M mode for instance, the front control dial changes shutter speed but the rear does zilch. Likewise, flash exposure comp., regular comp. both don't work with the rear dial. Am I missing something? The on/off switch is on, but the camera behaves like it's off. The dial DOES work for menu selection and moving around the menus.

Am I missing something? I've reset all custom and personal setting, reset the date/time clock, and the firmware is current.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I agree.  Send it to Canon service.  I think they still work on the 1Ds Mk II but not the 1D Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

Yep, mine works that way too. It's definitely the switch.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The switch to the upper left of the dial must be set to 'ON'.  Otherwise the dial wil not work.

EB

Yep, as I said, it's on. I'm thinking the switch is defective. Makes sense.

I agree.  Send it to Canon service.  I think they still work on the 1Ds Mk II but not the 1D Mk II.

EB

Say, I never checked this, but if you have your 1Ds handy, can you navigate the menu system using the rear control dial with the switch off?

Just a minute. I'll get it.

EB

Yes I can.  You know you have to keep the Menu button pressed?

EB

Yep, mine works that way too. It's definitely the switch.

These are wonderful cameras!  The pixel pitch is big and the prints are fabulous.  They capture stuff the mega MP cameras can't and are not even close.  I mostly shoot with the 1Ds Mk III now but the 1Ds Mk II is a very fine camera.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

These are wonderful cameras!  The pixel pitch is big and the prints are fabulous.  They capture stuff the mega MP cameras can't and are not even close.  I mostly shoot with the 1Ds Mk III now but the 1Ds Mk II is a very fine camera.

Yeah, but as some wag once put it, all of the 1D series are about the size and weight of a paving stone. I'm sure they're great on a tripod, and I do see people carrying them around. But at a fast-paced event where you generally need two cameras and at least one big lens, anything heavier than a 5D seems pretty much unthinkable to me. Just sayin'.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements