cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1DX mark ii LAN slow to establish connection

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I tried search but maybe I am using the wrong search terms since I couldn't find a previous thread about my question.

I prefer connecting my new EOS 1DX Mark ii via LAN to my computer for transferring images and once the link connection occurs the transfer speed is fine but it takes around a minute after initiaing the process for it to complete the connection process.  The original parmaters from running the connection wizard are already stored so it is just restablishing connection with existing parameters. 

Once connected the EOS transfer utility is fine and DPP 4.7.2 is performing very nicely.  The computer is a HP Z820 workstation running Win 10 Pro.  It has a pair of gigabit ethernet connectors and is equipped with two Xeon 8 core processors and 128 GB of RAM.

Although my router normally connects to the PC via WiFi for a test I set up a wired connection to the computer and once set up plugging in the LAN cable results in very rapid authentication so the slow linkup seems to be specific to the camera and/or EOS utility.

Anyone have suggestions or different experience with this setup?  It isn't a huge issue but is of minor annoyance and if I have something wrong in a setting I would like to correct it.  

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you have the latest firmware in the camera?

The camera came with 1.13 and I hadn't updated it to 1.14 because according to the Canon description for 1.14 the updates are primarily for TS-E group of lenses.  I will update the firmware this weekend to see if that helps.

Thanks!

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

coachboz68
Enthusiast

Just for troubleshooting, can you try it with a different computer and time the connection speed?  

Good thought! I will have to see if my Asus laptop has gigabit LAN or a slower ethernet port.

The LAN does work very well for transferring images at high speed and I trust that connector as being much more robust than the CF card connectors or the camera's easily damaged USB connector.

@wq9nsc wrote:

I tried search but maybe I am using the wrong search terms since I couldn't find a previous thread about my question.

I prefer connecting my new EOS 1DX Mark ii via LAN to my computer for transferring images and once the link connection occurs the transfer speed is fine but it takes around a minute after initiaing the process for it to complete the connection process.  The original parmaters from running the connection wizard are already stored so it is just restablishing connection with existing parameters. 

Once connected the EOS transfer utility is fine and DPP 4.7.2 is performing very nicely.  The computer is a HP Z820 workstation running Win 10 Pro.  It has a pair of gigabit ethernet connectors and is equipped with two Xeon 8 core processors and 128 GB of RAM.

Although my router normally connects to the PC via WiFi for a test I set up a wired connection to the computer and once set up plugging in the LAN cable results in very rapid authentication so the slow linkup seems to be specific to the camera and/or EOS utility.

Anyone have suggestions or different experience with this setup?  It isn't a huge issue but is of minor annoyance and if I have something wrong in a setting I would like to correct it.  

One possibility that fits the symptoms is that the camera is taking a long time to obtain an IP address. These days many devices don't bother to remember their IP addresses; they just poll for a new one each time they're turned on. Which means that yu're at the mercy of the speed of the DHCP server. If possible, you should use a DHCP server on your internal LAN, inside the firewall. If you're relying on your ISP's DHCP server down the street somewhere, that could account for the slowness. Note that the time it takes to obtain an IP address is largely unrelated to the speed of your network, which would explain why you don't have a problem transferring image files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

Thanks for your information.  Right now I am just connecting directly from the camera to one of the two available gigabit ports on my HPworkstation and transferring files using the EOS utility, the router is connected to the other LAN port, so my ISP shouldn't be involved with the camera. But your response does make me wonder if Windows Firewall is part of the issue and I will do a test with the firewall off to see whether I need to put in an exception for the second Ethernet connection since I am not worried about my camera hacking my computer.

It has been far too many years since I have dealt seriously with computer networking so even this simple setup is a learning curve all over again.  I was heavily involved with the PC industry in the very early 80s but transitioned into academe/business and did not keep up with those skills and now I am paying the price for it.

I greatly appreciate your help.  Now I am off for more adventures in high ISO shooting under lousy lighting.  With heavy snow forecast for the final game next week this could be my daughter's last game of the indoor soccer season until next Fall so this is my last chance to experiement and optimize the setup of for this type of environment until next year.

And Coach, on edit, I was going to try connecting via my Asus laptop however after one of the Win 10 updates went badly in December I switched it over to Linux and I don't believe Canon has ever provided a version of EOS utilities for Linux.  I have run ever flavor of Windows since the original including the short lived IBM "Topview" that was part of the path to Windows and until Win 10 I have been a very happy Microsoft customer.  The laptop has been primarily used for storing/viewing the several hundred PDF manuals for vintage amateur radio gear I restore and Linux is great for that and doesn't annoy me like Win 10.  Unfortunately the laptop running Linux isn't very helpful for this but at least it doesn't annoy me with Win 10 problems anymore 🙂  My HP Z820 desktop is running the pro version of Win 10 and combined with its ample resources Win 10 has only been mildly annoying with it but I do have fond memories of Win XP.

Rodger

@wq9nsc wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for your information.  Right now I am just connecting directly from the camera to one of the two available gigabit ports on my HPworkstation and transferring files using the EOS utility, the router is connected to the other LAN port, so my ISP shouldn't be involved with the camera. But your response does make me wonder if Windows Firewall is part of the issue and I will do a test with the firewall off to see whether I need to put in an exception for the second Ethernet connection since I am not worried about my camera hacking my computer.

It has been far too many years since I have dealt seriously with computer networking so even this simple setup is a learning curve all over again.  I was heavily involved with the PC industry in the very early 80s but transitioned into academe/business and did not keep up with those skills and now I am paying the price for it.

It's hard to diagnose that kind of network issue from a distance, but that setup sounds strange to me. In a computer with two Ethernet ports, I'd expect them to be on separate subnets, with the computer functioning as a router. But you seem to be saying that the ports are on the same subnet, with the computer serving as some sort of passive hub. Does the camera have a manually assigned IP address? If not, and if the DHCP server is on the router, the camera might have difficulty communicating with it. If that difficulty is severe enough, it might take the camera a long time to obtain an IP address, which would manifest itself as a delay in getting connected, but would not necessarily affect subsequent transmissions between the camera and the computer. If I were you. I think I'd try to run that by someone with more up-to-date network experience who might be able to help you set things up in a more conventional manner.

It's a wild shot in the dark, but one thing I'd do is check to make sure that the camera and the computer are using the same subnet mask. One conceivable consequence of a mismatch would be that the camera might have to try many times before obtaining a usable IP address.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks to the suggestions from the members here the issue is now resolved.  The default setting for the 1DX2 connection wizard uses a dynamic IP address.  I changed it and set a static IP address and now it is under 8 seconds from plugging in the cable to having EOS utility automatically launch and become ready for downloading images.

Announcements