cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1DX Mark III arrived this morning

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I spent a few minutes setting up the preferences to match my 1DX and 1DX II bodies and then took a few test photos and as expected the 1DX III is working beautifully.

Initial impression, the shutter may be slightly louder than the Mark II but that may be from the further increase in shutter speed.  I am hoping to shoot a little soccer practice later today but for those curious about ISO, this is a quick set of photos of ISO 800; 51,200; 102,400; 204,800; 409,600; and its maximum expanded ISO of 819,200.  These were shot as RAW images, cropped to about 30% of sensor area,  and run through DPP with it standard settings so I didn't do any special noise processing and the system is capable of better with some tweaking but I am confident that the 1DX Mark III will produce very nice sports photos at 51,200 especially when most of the sensor is used for the print.

The 1DX Mark III has a new menu tab with network settings on that tab.  I enabled its internal WiFi which was easy to set up using WPS with my router and seems to work fine.

Rodger

800.JPG

51200.JPG

102400.JPG

204800.JPG

409600.JPG

819200.JPG

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
16 REPLIES 16

@wq9nsc wrote:

Thanks Ernie but I am definitely not using it to its full capabilities.  I only had time to dial in one lens with the micro focus before the game and because it was senior night the 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8 on the 1DX II and 1DX bodies did most of the work.

I vowed when I retired that I would also give up consulting work but sometimes the projects are just too interesting and lucrative to turn down but they still take time better spent doing something I enjoy much more and I will definitely prioritize photography when soccer season starts.  My daughter has been offered a short research internship at Los Alamos this summer so maybe while she is gone I can do some non-sports photography which will keep my mind off having my high school sophomore over 1,000 miles away 🙂

Rodger

Get used to it, Rodger; it's a different (and much smaller) world today, My high school senior granddaughter, who lives in Philadelphia, has already been on school-related stints in Portugal, Germany, and Africa; and that's in addition to various family trips to Mexico, England, and France.

With all that, I still haven't had much of a chance to interest her in photography beyond the cellphone level. And that's despite the fact that her mother (my daughter) is a quite talented photographer. Once we finish our move to Philadelphia, and depending on where she goes to college, I'll have to try to work on that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...my high school sophomore over 1,000 miles away"

"...been on school-related stints in Portugal, Germany, and Africa;"

They all seem to grow up whether we want them to or not.Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Bob and Ernie,

As long as they grow up happy and capable then we have done our jobs properly and I feel like Anna is going to be fine.

We went to Pizza Ranch last night and I was explaining to her over dinner about needing to get used to the AF system in the 1DX III with all its focus points and how they dance around locking on players' eyes which is distracting given what I am used to so I went back to a more basic AF setup after a few minutes.  My conclusion is I just need to accept and get used to having a camera that is smarter and faster than me.  Anna told me that ought to be easy for me because I have already gotten used to having a daughter who is smarter and faster than me.  I told her that students like her are the reason I retired early from the university 🙂

She will choose her own life and career path but I am confident she will choose wisely. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

" Anna told me that ought to be easy for me because I have already gotten used to having a daughter who was smarter and faster than me."

And she will continue to be smarter and faster until sometime at point in her life she will realize the old man wasn't all that dumb at all.  He may remain slow but he's still pretty cool.

EB

Ernie,

Anna has a quick wit and she inherited my sarcastic sense of humor.  When she was 11, I extended a consulting trip to Bowling Green into a hiking vacation for us in the TN/NC mountains.   While we were killing time before my appointment at GM's assembly plant we stopped at a nearby antique mall and Anna spied an old Life magazine that she wanted.  A few days later we were returning home on a Sunday afternoon and had just left Indianapolis on I74 heading west when we entered a two lane construction zone in heavy traffic and a motorhome pulling a car wanted to ride far too close.  I saw an on ramp/merge lane coming up and what I thought might happen did when the merging and through vehicle both came to a rapid stop.  The lane under construction was still intact and just guarded by warning poles so I hit the brakes hard for an instant and went between two poles and then accelerated away.  The motorhome and towed car crashed into the line of stopped traffic but we fortunately avoided that mess.  When I hit the brakes hard, Anna's Life magazine went from the back seat past her and landed by her feet and she looked at me laughing and told me she just saw her Life flash by 🙂

I was the youngest of four kids and had never changed a diaper until Anna.  I was very worried about being a good father but fear is an excellent motivator!  And Anna has made it very easy for which I am quite thankful.

The photo below isn't the best I have ever taken but it is my favorite.  This was from Halloween 2006 a few days after Anna turned 3 and it started a multiple year tradition of Anna and I going to a nearby sugar maple grove to a section called Chapel in the Trees for Halloween photos after her daycare Halloween party.  I shot it a few months after buying my 1D Mark II and I used the EF 17-40 F4 lens which I used a lot in those days because I didn't want to step far away from her 🙂 

Rodger

NZ1W1973.JPG

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

EB

Geez ... Is it Christmas time again, already ..? Robot surprised

Announcements