cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D X Mirrorless - EOS-R Equivlent

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Just a rumor, but an interesting one for sure.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-announce-eos-1d-x-equivalent-eos-r-system-camera-in-2021/

Make sure it has an articulating screen if/when it comes guys!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

33 REPLIES 33

@Waddizzle wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

Make sure it has an articulating screen if/when it comes guys!

I do some sports and wildlife photography with my 6D2, and I have never needed to use the articulating screen.  For me, the only benefit of a fully articulating screen is that I can fold away the screen for protection and storage.

A fully articulating screen is for s selfie stick, shooting over a crowd, shooting from a low angle, etc.  Those types of shooting scenarios do not occur very often when shooting sports, and even less so when shooting wildlife.  

I beg to differ for wildlife cases...to get low angles on the critters, like ducks or avocets mating ... a lot of wildlife photographers right now get their cameras and tripods inches from the ground and without the articulating screens have to lie down flat with the cameras to see.  I've done it personally, often I had to lie on birds droppings to do it.   It's wonderful to be able to sit and do it with the screen.  This is where mirrorless excels because you can't do that easily with the DSLR live view...different AF method and way too slow for action.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

I beg to differ for wildlife cases...to get low angles on the critters, like ducks or avocets mating ... a lot of wildlife photographers right now get their cameras and tripods inches from the ground and without the articulating screens have to lie down flat with the cameras to see.  I've done it personally, often I had to lie on birds droppings to do it.   It's wonderful to be able to sit and do it with the screen.  This is where mirrorless excels because you can't do that easily with the DSLR live view...different AF method and way too slow for action.

I was using an iPhone on my previous post, so I was brief. 

Like said in an earlier post, articulating screens are great for snapshots.  If the screen is more than a foot or two from the eye, then you really cannot see what you are shooting very well.  All you can really see is, “Yeah, my whole face is in the frame,” as you make a YouTube video.  

Not sure how well that would work shooting wildlife, but I suspect not very well.  How would you recompose the shot when the subject move out of frame?  You are still going to need to get your face within a foot or so of the screen.  Besides, if using a mirrorless camera with an articulating screen is so great, then why do they give them electronic viewfinders?

If you want to go mirrorless, then go for it.  You do not need to buy a mirrorless camera to get an articulating screen.  The 6D2 and 80D, and the soon to be released 90D, are great cameras with articulating screens.  I shot the pumpkins with a 6D2.

When I shot the pumpkins, I had held the camera much higher as I focused on a pumpkin.  As I lowered the camera, I kept the pumpkin in the frame, while AF tracking kept the selected pumpkins in focus.  I pressed the shutter, which had a 2 second delay, and steadied the camera until it took the shot.

I have found the articulating screen more useful as a means to dynamically read exposure settings when using a tripod, instead of relying on the LCD screen on the top of the body.  I have yet to find another manufacturer whose cameras allow you to do this.  

All you have to do is go into the menus and disable the shutter button from turning off the rear screen, and then use the [INFO] button to call up exposure settings.  Now, when you press the shutter the static INFO display becomes a real time display.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@diverhank wrote:

I think if these guys went out to the tidepools, they would have a greater apprecation for a fully articulating screen. Also, out in the desert, where you're trying to photograph a snake eye to eye, which requires you to get on your belly. Or a shot of a tarantula. Or a scorpion. Or desert flowers. You get the idea. Most of these subjects require me to get down on my belly or knees and I really wish I had a camera with an articulating screen. My next camera will have one, I can tell you that. 

I shoot a far bit out at the Cabrillo Tidepools, and also out in the Anza-Borrego and the Mojave. An articulating screen would be of tremendous benefit. 

@John_SD wrote:

@diverhank wrote:

I think if these guys went out to the tidepools, they would have a greater apprecation for a fully articulating screen. Also, out in the desert, where you're trying to photograph a snake eye to eye, which requires you to get on your belly. Or a shot of a tarantula. Or a scorpion. Or desert flowers. You get the idea. Most of these subjects require me to get down on my belly or knees and I really wish I had a camera with an articulating screen. My next camera will have one, I can tell you that. 

I shoot a far bit out at the Cabrillo Tidepools, and also out in the Anza-Borrego and the Mojave. An articulating screen would be of tremendous benefit. 

I had a bit more in the way of action photography in mind.  7D2 and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.

0EF49DE9-1183-49CC-A8C4-CD2C59681649.jpeg

I did not need an articulating screen to capture that little guy.  I needed speed.  I had to be quick.  He would have been gone before I could have articulated. He popped up to take a look at me, and was gone just like that.  I doubt if I had two seconds to aim, focus, shoot.  The camera was already up to my chin.

I like to shoot in M mode with ISO Auto, but cap the ISO at 6400 in the 7D2.  I program the [SET] button so that I can adjust Aperture when it is held down.  I use the rear dial to adjust AEC.  This approach is ideal for the 7D2 viewfinder display, which dispays an exposure compensation bar in M mode on the top LCD, instead of an Ev display.  Many people complain about the 7D2 display.  They don’t get it.

Nearly all of the professional action photographers I know shoot Manual with ISO Auto.  No one wants to let the camera control more than one leg of the Exposure Triangle.  And, everyone wants direct control over both SS and Av, so you let the camera handle ISO, especiallly under the widely varying light conditions you might experience when shooting wildlife or sports.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Nearly all of the professional action photographers I know shoot Manual with ISO Auto.  No one wants to let the camera control more than one leg of the Exposure Triangle.  And, everyone wants direct control over both SS and Av, so you let the camera handle ISO, especiallly under the widely varying light conditions you might experience when shooting wildlife or sports.

Well, we don't generally deal with a lot of "varyingl light conditions" out in the Mojave. And at the tidepools, we are governed more by the low tide than we are the light, which has never given me a problem there, even at mid-day. I am not shooting sweeping ocean vistas at the tidepool. And I still wish I had an articulating screen for these environments, for obvious reasons. 

Very nice photo, by the way.

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Well, we don't generally deal with a lot of "varyingl light conditions" out in the Mojave. And at the tidepools, we are governed more by the low tide than we are the light, which has never given me a problem there, even at mid-day. I am not shooting sweeping ocean vistas at the tidepool. And I still wish I had an articulating screen for these environments, for obvious reasons. 

Very nice photo, by the way.

Thanks.

I love having direct control over SS and Av so much that I shoot that way nearly all the time, especially handheld.  I have even given it a name, Exposure Priority, and save it as a custom shooting mode.  Instead of worrying about an ISO value, I dial in AEC if I need to control the final exposure.

I think you would find an articulating screen useful.  The biggest drawback to fully articulating is that it makes the camera wider.  For most my shooting scenarios, all I need is a tilt. Like said, I do like being able to “store” the screen.

“Well, we don't generally deal with a lot of "varyingl light conditions" out in the Mojave.”

I forgot the most obvious cause of “varying light conditions” when shooting sports or wildlife. The variable aperture zoom lens.  My super telephoto zoom lenses do not have constant apertures.  As I vary the zoom, the aperture can vary by as much as 1/2 a stop.  

Using ISO Auto in M mode automatically corrects ISO for a proper exposure.  I do not need to adjust ISO as I change focal length, anymore.   I can devote my attention to the subjects, instead of operating the camera.

@Waddizzle wrote:

“Well, we don't generally deal with a lot of "varyingl light conditions" out in the Mojave.”

I forgot the most obvious cause of “varying light conditions” when shooting sports or wildlife. The variable aperture zoom lens.  My super telephoto zoom lenses do not have constant apertures.  As I vary the zoom, the aperture can vary by as much as 1/2 a stop.  

Using ISO Auto in M mode automatically corrects ISO for a proper exposure.  I do not need to adjust ISO as I change focal length, anymore.   I can devote my attention to the subjects, instead of operating the camera.

Well, yeah, but you said you prefer to keep the aperture and SS constant and let the ISO setting float. How do you do that with a variable-aperture zoom? Is the camera smart enough to realize that the lens can't meet the conditions that you set?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Well, yeah, but you said you prefer to keep the aperture and SS constant and let the ISO setting float. How do you do that with a variable-aperture zoom? Is the camera smart enough to realize that the lens can't meet the conditions that you set?

How?  Easy.  I just ignore the fact that I have a variable aperture zoom. 

The camera does not know, and does not care how the focal length is set.  All it knows is that it sees a change in aperture, and so it makes a change in ISO to bring the exposure back to 0 Ev.  If it sees a change in shutter speed, then it makes a change to ISO.  The OVF in the 7D2 in M mode seems designed to be used this way for action photography.

If the camera sees a change from the metering sensor, it adjusts the ISO back to a 0 Ev exposure.  If I want a -1 Ev exposure, then I dial in -1 AEC, and the ISO adjusts itself for that exposure just as it did for 0 Ev,  Again, I program the rear dial for AEC, and holding the [SET] button pressed for Av adjustment.  I save this as a custom shooting mode.  To me, it is exposure priority.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I doubt going back to the smaller sensor would enhance low light performance. At least not easily.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements