cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1D X Mirrorless - EOS-R Equivlent

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Just a rumor, but an interesting one for sure.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-announce-eos-1d-x-equivalent-eos-r-system-camera-in-2021/

Make sure it has an articulating screen if/when it comes guys!

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

33 REPLIES 33

For a given level of sensor technology, the bigger the individual receptor area, the better the low light/high ISO noise performance for the array.  This is a primary reason that a full frame sensor of the same level of sensor technology has a high ISO advantage over its APS-C counterpart which will have smaller individual receptor areas if both have the same absoulte number of individual receptors.

Sensor technology has experienced the same huge leaps in performance in the past 15 years that we saw in the early days of CPU performance and the performance benefits have been divided between providing both higher sensor cell density and increasing low light/high ISO performance.  I realize it wouldn't be an economically feasible market offering from a main line producer but I suspect the old 1.3X "crop" in an 8 to 10 MP offering would provide stunning sports shooting performance in a low light environment.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc

Sensor technology has experienced the same huge leaps in performance in the past 15 years that we saw in the early days of CPU performance and the performance benefits have been divided between providing both higher sensor cell density and increasing low light/high ISO performance.  I realize it wouldn't be an economically feasible market offering from a main line producer but I suspect the old 1.3X "crop" in an 8 to 10 MP offering would provide stunning sports shooting performance in a low light environment.

Rodger

Canon already makes and sells such a sensor

40C857AB-9224-4D66-A8D5-2620F6FFD6F8.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Wadizzle and I should have known that because I looked briefly at the C-100 last year when I decided to go with an dedicated video camera instead of shooting video with my 1DX bodies.  Not surprisingly it receives high marks for its high ISO performance.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"I realize it wouldn't be an economically feasible market offering from a main line producer but I suspect the old 1.3X "crop" in an 8 to 10 MP offering would provide stunning sports shooting performance ..."

Go buy a good used 1D Mk IV.  I still have mine and I intend on always keeping it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I realize it wouldn't be an economically feasible market offering from a main line producer but I suspect the old 1.3X "crop" in an 8 to 10 MP offering would provide stunning sports shooting performance ..."

Go buy a good used 1D Mk IV.  I still have mine and I intend on always keeping it.

A 1D Mark IV fits that description.  My only complaint is how LOUD it can be.  A year ago I fell off the wagon and picked up a 12 MP Nikon D3, which has a 8 um pixel pitch.  It is just as LOUD and fast as the 1D4..  And, it takes great photos, too.

EOS-1D Mark IV2017_07_160210.jpg

The above photo was shot with a 1D4 and Sigma 150-600 “C”.  I am in awe of the color, detail, and dynamic range.  I have not used it much for sports, but I think I might maybe use it for some Youth Tackle Football this year. 

"A 1D Mark IV fits that description."

It's a great camera and the last of the 1.3 sensor 1 series.

"My only complaint is how LOUD it can be.  I ... picked up a 12 MP Nikon D3, ...  It is just as LOUD ... "

My 1D4 shot many weddings and I never saw it as a problem noise wise. I only have the one as an example though.

"And, it takes great photos, too."

It certainly does. Smiley Happy  It is a favorite of the Birders.

I sold all my Nikon gear a while back. I can very confidently say if you wanted a D3 you didn't get the right one.  The D3x is one fantastic camera and the one you should have bought. It has more detail, better image quality, richer colors, more dynamic range than the D3. Plus it is a bit newer!  It is one of my Nikon's I truly miss.

EB

"The above photo was shot with a 1D4 and Sigma 150-600 “C”."

Nice duck. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"The above photo was shot with a 1D4 and Sigma 150-600 “C”."

Nice duck. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the duck.  I recall that I was at the short end of the lens. It had walked right up to me, and stood guard as the ducklings paddled by in the water a few feet from land.  They are just out of sight behind the rock.

I have the specs of the D3x confused with the D3s.  I passed on the D3s because I was not looking for video.  I passed on the D3x because of price.  It seemed to me that the Nikon D3x was more comparable to a Canon 1Ds3, while the D3/D3s seemed more comparable to a 1D4.

"I have the specs of the D3x confused with the D3s."

I suspected such as you seem to be on top of camera specs most of the time. I really don't pay much attention to other camera's specs. I have enough trouble keeping up with what I own or have owned.

Until recently Canon had nothing to rival the Nikon D3x.  It is and still is, BTW, a fantastic camera.  It is the one Brand-N, that I owned that I miss. I would urge you to sell that D3 and buy a D3x.  At least get a hold of one and try it.

"...the Nikon D3x was more comparable to a Canon 1Ds3..."

Owned both. Used both, extensively.  The win goes to the D3x.

"...the D3/D3s seemed more comparable to a 1D4."

Owned both. Used both, extensively. The win goes to the 1D Mk IV.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Except, Rodger, it only captures at video shutter speeds, 1/2000 or slower.
Announcements