cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1D-X MOTHERBOARD ISSUE

snsyd200
Apprentice

I have purchased a Canon 1D-X body in Tokyo in 2013. In about a year I noticed intermittent hang of the camera which I didn't think much about it.

I brought it to Canon Singapore for servicing and I was told the motherboard is faulty and need replacement.

I am shocked that a high end camera from Canon in a year of light usage is fauty.

Has anyone read about the motherboard issue? Is the motherboard defective. Is this a known issue from Canon?

Stanley

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

I haven't read about it, and I'd guess it's fairly rare given that 'robustness' is one of the selling points of the 1Dx.  Unfortunately, any electronic can be a lemon, no matter how well engineered.  More importantly, if it was a motherboard issues, did Canon cover it?

It's unfortunate that I brought the camera to the service centre after the 1 year warranty is over. I have written to Canon Japan a few times and so far they have refused to help. My camera is now sitting in Canon Singapore since November 2014 (where I reside) and they will only replace the motherboard for a fee of about USD600. I do not believe I should pay for the fee and hence I am trying to keep pressuring Canon. Any suggestion of the course of action?

That is unfortunate, and surprising.  I would have thought that there would be more support for a camera like the 1dX, especially if it was a design/manufacturing issue.

I'm pretty sure I read something like that at this forum. I recomend that you either use the search function or join & ask your question there.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/2

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

If I owned a 1D-X, I would most certainly join Canon Professional Services. (I don't, but I did anyway.) Its membership consists of photographers who own enough Canon equipment that Canon would hate to see them switch to another manufacturer. I can tell you from my own experience that when a CPS member walks into a Canon shop, he is treated well. If I had to gripe about the cost of replacing an out-of-warranty motherboard, I think I'd prefer to be a CPS member.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements