cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS-1 and Image Stabilized lenses

perry_j
Apprentice

I recently returned to shooting 35mm again and came into an EOS-1 (1st-gen) which I've been shooting with my Nifty Fifty (fun!), but found myself missing the red focus dot and wanting an IS lens, specifically the EF 35mm f/2 IS and EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro. 

So I've been thinking of upgrading to an EOS-1N to get my red dot back and saving up for this rather expensive (but soooo lovely) Canon glass, when I came upon this bit of info on mir.com

"There is a slight compatibility problem with EF lenses having the IS (Image Stabilizer) feature on early analog EOS models as the camera shake correction feature may not work well on them."

Can anyone confirm this? If so, is this specific to 1st-gen EOS-1 only? I guess what I'm really wanting to know is: does IS functionality work properly with EOS-1N?

2 REPLIES 2

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

There are some minor compatibility issues with some early EOS cameras, but it is only under some specific conditions, and should not be a problem for you. 

Here is a link to a Canon "Infobank" article which spells it out:  Image Stabilization Camera Compatibility

Camera compatibility

IS lenses work with all EOS cameras, regardless of when they were introduced. The IS system − gyros, microcomputer and special lens group − is part of the lens, not the camera. However, there is some communication with the camera and there are some operational differences between the EOS SLR models.

• If you are using the EOS 10, 1000-series, 600, 620, 650 or RT, you will see the viewfinder image shake a little immediately after an exposure. This does not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.
  • If you are using the built-in flash of early EOS models (EOS 10, 100, 1000-series, 700, 750), you will see the viewfinder image shake while the flash is recycling. This will not affect the sharpness of an exposed image.
  • There is some shaking of the viewfinder image after exposures in the DEP mode with the EOS-1, 1N, 10, 100, 5, 600, 650 and RT. This does not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.
  • When an extender is attached to the lens, image stabilisation does not operate with the EOS 1, 10, 100, 1000-series, 5, 600, 620, 650, 700, 750, 850 and RT cameras.
  • During a bulb (B) exposure, image stabilisation does not operate with most EOS models. It continues with the EOS 1000-series, 5, 500 and 700. It stops immediately after the exposure starts with the EOS 1, 10, 100, 600, 620, 650 and RT. In all cases, image stabilisation is unlikely to be effective with long exposures. Canon recommends that the Image Stabilizer is switched off for bulb exposures.
  • With the EOS 3, 50, 50E, IX and IX7, image stabilisation does not work when the self-timer is used.
  • With the EOS 10, 5, 600 and RT set to AI Servo, and with the film advance mode set to continuous, autofocusing will not resume after the AF Stop button has been used until partial pressure is reapplied to the camera shutter button. This also applies to the EOS 5 and 10 set to Sports mode.

We do not have full data for every IS lens/EOS camera combination. Before taking a picture, look through the viewfinder to check that the IS system is operating correctly (remember to allow up to 1 second for the system to start up after the shutter button is partially depressed). If there does not appear to be any increase in the steadiness of the image, or the image is jumping around in the viewfinder, there is probably an incompatibility. Movement of the image in the viewfinder immediately after an exposure is not usually a problem and will not affect the sharpness of the exposed image.

Mike Sowsun

This is very helpful Mike, thanks for the info!

Announcements