cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOR R - Stopped working, no power, won't turn on

drunksaru
Apprentice

EOS R owner here. Bought mine last year when it dropped to $1800 last November and used the camera for a couple of events. Since then, it's been slow so I've just had the camera sitting in my bag. Today. I took it out only to realize it was not turning on. Okay, maybe the battery was dead. Charged up the batteries. I currently have 3. 

• Tried all 3 batteries, no luck
  • all my batteries are genuine canon brand but i figured i'll try an aftermarket - went to BestBuy (had a gift card) and bought an aftermarket battery. charged and tried that. no luck. Also while I was there I tried my own batteries with the demo display they had at the store. worked. so confirmed not my batteries.
  • I use the camera with the BG-E22 so I tried using with and without it. no luck
  • double-checked the contacts for the battery, clean, but cleaned it again anyway. no luck.
  • double-checked the switch on the battery door. 
  • tried with multiple memory cards as well as without it. 
  • even tried swapping different lens (although i only have 2 RF's right now...EF's with adapter didn't do anything.

I'm at a loss here. I have no error messages. In fact, When i put the battery in, the top screen doesn't even turn on. It's as if my camera is getting zero power. It's kinda pissing me off since I barely used this camera. I also sold my previous bodies when buying the R and all I have left are my really old bodies no one wants to buy anymore.. lol... 20D and original 5D.

Well, in the meantime, I'll revert to using my old cameras but hoping someone had any suggestions here on what secret buttons I could press to magically reset and make the camera working again. If not, I guess I will have to send it in for repair. That is another pain in the *** since all my local camera stores that used to help me out and send stuff in for me is out of business so i have to do all this myself. now. Anyway, help... if you can...

4 REPLIES 4

How long ago is "last year"? Is the camera still under Canon's one-year warranty? If so, send it in without delay. If not, call Canon Service and see what they recommend.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks. Yeah the camera is still under warranty. I will be sending it in on Monday but I was hoping there was some magic out there that would bring my camera back to life. 

@drunksaru wrote:

Thanks. Yeah the camera is still under warranty. I will be sending it in on Monday but I was hoping there was some magic out there that would bring my camera back to life. 

You could call Canon Service first and see if they have any suggestions. They're generally pretty helpful.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@drunksaru wrote:

You could call Canon Service first and see if they have any suggestions. They're generally pretty helpful.

Escellent idea, Bob!

You'll find all your support options from within your My Canon Account right HERE@drunksaru,

Announcements