cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic range of the color red in RAW files.

KarlKrueger
Enthusiast

I have seen this issue with my 70D and my SX-50 so it seems to be an issue with Canon cameras in general (I don't know if other camera makes have this too). Whenever I photograph something that has the color red (for me I often photograph birds) the jpegs look fine but I always start with post processing of RAW files. Anywhere the red color is found I find the color saturates out very easily. I use Adobe Photoshop Essentials (PSE) for post processing and cannot get the RAW adjusted/processed to look anywhere as good as the jpeg as detail is lost when red saturates out. This is not a problem with any other color.

For now I end up opening the jpeg as RAW in PSE and start my adjustments there which give me a better picture with finer detail than starting with the original RAW file. I will post this same question in the PSE forum to see who else noticed this and what their work around is.

24 REPLIES 24

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All digital cameras suffer from over saturation of the red channel. It is just the way they are. It doesn't matter whether it is CCD or a CMOS sensored camera.  However, the 5D Mk III and the 1Dx are better.

About post processing, when using a RAW editing program like Photoshop Elements (?) go to your HSL adjustment and lower the saturation of the reds while increasing the luminance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for this information. I tried controlling the saturation level of red as you suggested but that draws the entire red intensity in the picutre down so it is not what I was I hoping for. When I posted  this problem to the PSE forum no one replied so I take that to mean there is no real solution. In conclusion it seems I'm better off starting with the jpeg produced by the camera in these situations. At least PSE gives you the possibility to manipulate the jpeg without further loss.

Remember less is more sometimes.  You probably adjusted too much.   Try very small amounts.  In the HSL adjustment, just move the red channel, only.

EB

Adjusting only red is what I did. The rest of the picture was unchanged - only the red became dull. Of course I want to keep the vibrance of the red in the picture without it going off scale. A pretty red bird doesn't look so great when you tone down this color. I can try again if a very small toning down will work but my impression was the camera's jpeg still looked better.

THe red on my 450D was always oversaturated, my 6D isn't as much.  But if I have a photo with highly saturated colors I usually selectively tone down the red channel.

I don't use PSE, but programs like Lightroom can be set to make such adjustments upon import if you're always making the same change.

ronnienyc
Contributor
Re: " All digital cameras suffer from over saturation of the red channel. It is just the way they are. It doesn't matter whether it is CCD or a CMOS sensored camera."

Just for the record I have owned 1Ds2, 1Ds3, every version of 5D, etc and all have had red issued.
I now also own a Nikon D610 and there is no such issue of over saturation of the red channel in RAW. This is one reason that I shoot the Nikon over the 6D almost all the time. The added DR goes a long way. The D610 files are just easier to work with and a lot faster to reach a final image. Desaturating the red channel on the Canon files obviously causes other issues.
I am impatiently waiting for Canon to put out a camera with a comparable sensor.

"This is one reason that I shoot the Nikon over the 6D almost all the time."

And of course that is just one persons "opinion".  I don't shoot or own a 6D but there is no way I would take any brand-N over a any 5D model for model.  Of course that is just another man's "opinion".

EB

Almost 3 stops more Dynamic Range on the D610 is a fact, not merely an opinion. And it definitely helps a lot in terms of avoiding saturating the red channel as we are discussing here.

A single spec, a camera it does not make!  A camera as a whole and all specs must be weighed.

EB
Announcements