cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Range and Native ISO information

zakray
Contributor

I manage the mobile app "Formats" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/formats/id890528993?mt=8), and I'm looking to find information on a number of Canon DSLRs. In particular, I'm trying to verify the dynamic range and native ISO of the following cameras: 

5D Mk II

5D Mk III

6D

7D

T5i

I called Canon customer service and was told they "dont publish that infromation". Can anyone help me? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@zakray wrote:

I manage the mobile app "Formats" (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/formats/id890528993?mt=8), and I'm looking to find information on a number of Canon DSLRs. In particular, I'm trying to verify the dynamic range and native ISO of the following cameras: 

5D Mk II

5D Mk III

6D

7D

T5i

I called Canon customer service and was told they "dont publish that infromation". Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Dynamic range varies depending on the definition used.You might want to check clarkvision.com.

Thanks, TTMartin. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for information relating to the cameras' video function.

@zakray wrote:

Thanks, TTMartin. I should have mentioned that I'm looking for information relating to the cameras' video function.

I'm not that familiar with video. I was under the impression that video dynamic range in most cameras tends to be limited by the encoding and compression used and not the camera itself.

This is why Magic Lanterns RAW video on the cameras like the 5D Mk III is so significant.

I believe it's due more to the sensor than the compression, though there are things in between that can affect it (such as picture profile). 

I just wished Canon provided official information for it so people didnt have to guess. Other camera companies I've spoken to have been more responsive.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a big fan of but DxoMark probably has that info.  Some of the data they provide is good some is not so good.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements