cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication of raw files upon importing in either LR or Aperture

Markeran
Contributor

Hi

Has anyone experienced with the 1DXmK2 (and also the 5Dmk4) generating 2 identical RAW images when importing either into Adobe Lightroom 6 or Apple Aperture 3.6 when BOTH cards (CF and Cfast) are present?

When importing the picture using either of the above softwares, 2 identical photos are imported for each RAW picture recorded onto the CF card - If anyone of the memory cards is removed, then everything's fine and only one picture is imported. Furthermore, if the "record / play" is set to slot 2 (CFast card) with slot 1 not recording, the import from the CFast card will not only generate a duplicate for each RAW photo but also two identical photos for each RAW photos which were previously shot onto the CF card (slot 1) When shooting high speed and generating hundreds of photos, this is incredibly frustrating to erase all the duplicates.

Has anyone experienced the same problem and is there any fix for this?

Best Regards Mark

8 REPLIES 8

It almost has to be a camera setting. I don't have either of those cameras, but both my 5D3 and my wife's 7D2 allow you to set both cards to record the same image. It's a way of guarding against the failure of either card. The different ways of setting up the slots aren't particularly intuitive, so I think you should start by carefully reviewing your settings.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob

I am a pro photographer and work with Canon cameras for many years and owns 2 x 5D mk2, 2 x 5D mk3, 1 5Ds and 1 DXmk2 ... so grant me that I know by now the Canon menus!!!

As I explained, the 1DXmk2 is set in the "play / record" menu on Raw for CFast card and nothing (-) for the CF - After shooting and checking the camera LCD, I have got confirmation of the recording of pictures on the CFast while (by changing the "play / record" menu to visualize the CF card) I get the confirmation "no image" on that card.

I insist : each Raw picture on the Cfast card is very different from the other so that it cannot be any confusion.

1) Taking the CFast card out from the camera and downloading it to my Mac via a reader, evrything's fine and I get no duplicates.

2) Connecting the 1DXmkii via the USB cable to the computer creates:

- duplicates when both memory cards are present

- NO duplicate if I remove the CF card.

Why don't you look for info to the link below?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2207479

These guys had the same problem using Adobe LR and I have got the same one if I am using Apple's "Aperture" 3.6 - The problem can therefore not be related to LR.

"I am a pro photographer ..."

I don't know what this means.  I know I hear it a lot.  At any rate reset the camera and clear all settings.  Try it.  Does it still happen?   If no, you may have set it to do exactly as it was doing.  If, yes, it may be a fault in the camera if the imports in LR are OK.  If not check LR for a corrupter preferences.  That's about all the help I can suggest so I hope you find the solution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I am a pro photographer..."

This means that I earn my living from photography, shoot an average of 100-200 pics / day and over 5000 when taking clients on photo safaris (I am based in South Africa) which is an average of one safari per month in Southern African countries (RSA, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia & Mozambique ) - Our last trans-African trip (Cape Town to Casablanca via Africa's west coast) which lasted 3 months generated 22,000 pics, all with Canon! We do know the brand and love it (especially its optics 🙂

On the technical side, as you mentioned, the first thing I did was to reset all settings but this brought no change. I am following up with Canon and will report.

Sorry I was unable to help but I would be curious to know what it was.  I worked for Hallmark for 40 years.

EB

ebiggs1

Will keep in touch and inform you accordingly if and how this issue is resolved.

Regards

@Markeran wrote:

Hi Bob

I am a pro photographer and work with Canon cameras for many years and owns 2 x 5D mk2, 2 x 5D mk3, 1 5Ds and 1 DXmk2 ... so grant me that I know by now the Canon menus!!!

As I explained, the 1DXmk2 is set in the "play / record" menu on Raw for CFast card and nothing (-) for the CF - After shooting and checking the camera LCD, I have got confirmation of the recording of pictures on the CFast while (by changing the "play / record" menu to visualize the CF card) I get the confirmation "no image" on that card.

I insist : each Raw picture on the Cfast card is very different from the other so that it cannot be any confusion.

1) Taking the CFast card out from the camera and downloading it to my Mac via a reader, evrything's fine and I get no duplicates.

2) Connecting the 1DXmkii via the USB cable to the computer creates:

- duplicates when both memory cards are present

- NO duplicate if I remove the CF card.

Why don't you look for info to the link below?

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2207479

These guys had the same problem using Adobe LR and I have got the same one if I am using Apple's "Aperture" 3.6 - The problem can therefore not be related to LR.

I assumed you probably were a pro photographer, since you're using pro-quality equipment. I'm not sure what point you're making; but if it's that pro photographers can't occasionally misread the settings on their cameras, I suspect you're probably wrong.

The experienced contributors to this forum tend to be pretty smart. Some of them are pros and some aren't, and I can't always tell which are which. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you could either. In any case, they're often worth listening to.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Has anyone experienced the same problem and is there any fix for this?"

I have not but the 1st thing to try is a reset and clear all settings. Whenever stuff happens that you can't explain, reset and clear all settings.  #1 thing to try.

Next, check the "Don't re-import suspected duplicates" box in LR.  Also, this behavior could be due to a corrupt "Preference File". If this file gets corrupted all kinds of strange behavior can happen in LR. The remedy is replacing the Preference File.

EB
Announcements