cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry Bag for Canon DSLR and Telephoto Lens

mjschocken
Enthusiast

I'm doing some birding/photography in Western Panama in a few months.  The trip includes boats, maybe canoes or kayaks.  I'll be bringing my gear (Canon 80D + Canon 100 - 400 mm telephone lens with 1.4 extender).  I've been looking for a waterproof (aka dry bag) to put my gear into in case it gets wet from rain, or worse, if the boat suffers spray or even capsizes.  There are many choices, from cheap to expensive, on the internet but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions or experience? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks a lot for these photos with the gear packed.  Helps a lot.  Mark

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

cicopo
Elite

Pelican cases are a better option.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

LowePro makes a line called the "DryZone" series bags.  You might want to check them out.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks.  The Lowepro DryZone 200 might work and give me the protection I'm looking for. 

REI has some, too.

Search the website for "dry bag".

@mjschocken wrote:

Thanks.  The Lowepro DryZone 200 might work and give me the protection I'm looking for. 

I do Lowepro camera bags.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am looking at those dry bags.  Pricy but closest to what I really want.  Thanks for responding.

Mark

I'm currently looking at the LowePro Dry Zone 200 backpack.  Here's why.  I usually carry my gear in a Tamrac Expedition 6X backpack because it can accomodate my camera/telephoto lens and extender attached with hood reversed.  I like it because while I don't carry other lenses, I can carry various electronic gear including chargers and other things.  I can also carry it on the plane.  Plus, I have two hands free when I've got to carry other stuff such as a duffel bag.  However, while water resistant, the bag is not waterproof and won't float.  It looks like the Dry Zone 200 bag might accomodate my gear so I could simply use it as my travel backpack and then use it on outings in Panama on boats.  Thus, in principle, this bag sounds like it would do the job.  However, if anyone uses different gear for a set up similar to mine, I'd like to hear about it.  I am also looking at the Pelican line and going to visit my nearest photography store next week to see what they have. 

Mark

These are old photos but I still use both of these cases when attending an event where I might get rained on. First is the 1550 with 2 1 series bodies & one has the 28-300 L IS & the other has the 100-400 L IS. In the centre is probably a 5D & 17-40 L. IMG_0834.jpg

Next is the 1450 with a mix of gear. You can't get a 1 series body or 5D sized body with a  battery grip in it standing on it's base. but the 5D's or 20D-80D fit fine.

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks a lot for these photos with the gear packed.  Helps a lot.  Mark

Announcements