cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this kind of DSLR exist?

mperdomo
Apprentice
Hi, I’m new to the community. I am looking for a DSLR that has 3 things: 1080p HDMI output, no onscreen controls on the output feed, and continuous AF. It’s for a church livestream setup. All 3 of those are essential for my setup.

I’m new to DSLR’s. Does this kind of Canon DSLR exist? Or am I better off with a Canon C100 mk II? I know that meets the criteria.

Thanks for any help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@mperdomo wrote:
Hi, I’m new to the community. I am looking for a DSLR that has 3 things: 1080p HDMI output, no onscreen controls on the output feed, and continuous AF. It’s for a church livestream setup. All 3 of those are essential for my setup.

I’m new to DSLR’s. Does this kind of Canon DSLR exist? Or am I better off with a Canon C100 mk II? I know that meets the criteria.

Thanks for any help!

The Canon 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II, 5D Mk IV, 1DX Mk II, and EOS R all meet your requirements. 

I am not so sure about all of those bodies meeting the requirements.  Not all of them are capable of “Continuous AF” when recording video, or “Movie Servo AF”, which first appeared in the 80D with the second generation of DPAF.

It really depends upon how you define “Continuous AF”.  The first generation of Dual Pixel AF did not work very well in video mode.  DPAF is not the same as Movie Servo AF.  The 1st generation DPAF could refocus when shooting video, but it was sluggish, just as sluggish as what you would see in Live View mode.

The 7D Mk II definitely can NOT autofocus when recording video.  You must manually select AF subjects.  It does not track subjects video mode smoothly.  The 5D Mk III has similar video AF capabilities as the 7D Mk II.

The 5D Mk IV, EOS R, and the 1Dx Mk II are capable of Movie Servo AF, but all are way over the budget.  An EOS C100 with DPAF costs less than any of those bodies, and will not be as susceptible to the image sensor overheating.  

Can all of those bodies output video continuously for 2-3 hours unattended?  Maybe the 1Dx Mk II can do it, now that the 1D C seems to have been completely discontinued without a replacement.  My gut wants to say no to the rest of them.  At the very least, you would need an AC power adapter. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

mperdomo
Apprentice
Thanks everyone for all the information. I’ll keep all this in mind. And I guess I’ll keep looking for something besides a DSLR. Appreciate it!
Announcements