cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this kind of DSLR exist?

mperdomo
Apprentice
Hi, I’m new to the community. I am looking for a DSLR that has 3 things: 1080p HDMI output, no onscreen controls on the output feed, and continuous AF. It’s for a church livestream setup. All 3 of those are essential for my setup.

I’m new to DSLR’s. Does this kind of Canon DSLR exist? Or am I better off with a Canon C100 mk II? I know that meets the criteria.

Thanks for any help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@mperdomo wrote:
Hi, I’m new to the community. I am looking for a DSLR that has 3 things: 1080p HDMI output, no onscreen controls on the output feed, and continuous AF. It’s for a church livestream setup. All 3 of those are essential for my setup.

I’m new to DSLR’s. Does this kind of Canon DSLR exist? Or am I better off with a Canon C100 mk II? I know that meets the criteria.

Thanks for any help!

The Canon 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II, 5D Mk IV, 1DX Mk II, and EOS R all meet your requirements. 

I am not so sure about all of those bodies meeting the requirements.  Not all of them are capable of “Continuous AF” when recording video, or “Movie Servo AF”, which first appeared in the 80D with the second generation of DPAF.

It really depends upon how you define “Continuous AF”.  The first generation of Dual Pixel AF did not work very well in video mode.  DPAF is not the same as Movie Servo AF.  The 1st generation DPAF could refocus when shooting video, but it was sluggish, just as sluggish as what you would see in Live View mode.

The 7D Mk II definitely can NOT autofocus when recording video.  You must manually select AF subjects.  It does not track subjects video mode smoothly.  The 5D Mk III has similar video AF capabilities as the 7D Mk II.

The 5D Mk IV, EOS R, and the 1Dx Mk II are capable of Movie Servo AF, but all are way over the budget.  An EOS C100 with DPAF costs less than any of those bodies, and will not be as susceptible to the image sensor overheating.  

Can all of those bodies output video continuously for 2-3 hours unattended?  Maybe the 1Dx Mk II can do it, now that the 1D C seems to have been completely discontinued without a replacement.  My gut wants to say no to the rest of them.  At the very least, you would need an AC power adapter. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am going to say, “No.”

You just pretty much described a video camera, or a camcorder.  DSLRs make for terrible video cameras for a host of reasons beginning with the strong tendency for their image sensor to overheat.

What is your budget for such a device?  Will you also need accessories like a tripod?

mperdomo
Apprentice
Thanks for the info! I was drawn to DSLRs for the shallow depth of field you can get. Was not aware of the overheating though.

As far as budget, I’d like to stay around $1,000 but I know Canon cinema cameras cost quite a bit more. The C100 mk I was the closest I found but did not have continuous AF. I suppose I could go up if I had to though.

Why do you need shallow depth of field for a church live stream? It just complicates the focus issues.

mperdomo
Apprentice
Oh and to answer your last question... I won’t need any accessories other than a lens really.

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@mperdomo wrote:

Thanks for any help!

The Canon 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II, 5D Mk IV, 1DX Mk II, and EOS R all meet your requirements. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@mperdomo wrote:

Thanks for any help!

I am not so sure about all of those bodies meeting the requirements.  Not all of them are capable of “Continuous AF” when recording video, or “Movie Servo AF”, which first appeared in the 80D with the second generation of DPAF.

It really depends upon how you define “Continuous AF”.  The first generation of Dual Pixel AF did not work very well in video mode.  DPAF is not the same as Movie Servo AF.  The 1st generation DPAF could refocus when shooting video, but it was sluggish, just as sluggish as what you would see in Live View mode.

The 7D Mk II definitely can NOT autofocus when recording video.  You must manually select AF subjects.  It does not track subjects video mode smoothly.  The 5D Mk III has similar video AF capabilities as the 7D Mk II.

The 5D Mk IV, EOS R, and the 1Dx Mk II are capable of Movie Servo AF, but all are way over the budget.  An EOS C100 with DPAF costs less than any of those bodies, and will not be as susceptible to the image sensor overheating.  

Can all of those bodies output video continuously for 2-3 hours unattended?  Maybe the 1Dx Mk II can do it, now that the 1D C seems to have been completely discontinued without a replacement.  My gut wants to say no to the rest of them.  At the very least, you would need an AC power adapter. 

You are correct. The 5D Mk III, 7D Mk II, 5D Mk IV, 1DX Mk II, and EOS R  all have clean HDMI out, but I forgot about continuous AF in video mode. Smiley Frustrated

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does this kind of Canon DSLR exist?"

No.

"Or am I better off with a Canon C100 mk II?"

Yes.

DSLR's are not video cameras.....................yet.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

With a DSLR (and also the mirrorless bodies coming out) weather sealing takes precedence over heat management and unlike most video devices they aren't going to have vents and a fan to cool the sensor and associated processors.  The current 1 series bodies have good thermal management from their large thermal mass and a "heat pipe" that transfers sensor and processor heat to the battery compartment but the thermal rejection of this system pales in comparison to the far simpler forced ventilation system of video cameras not as constrained by environmental sealing.

Even if heat management weren't an issue, you still have the problem with the VAT compliant less than 30 minute maximum video time limitation in order to avoid the higher camcorder VAT rate.

I decided the video limitations, and for me less comfortable form factor, meant that my 1DX and 1DX II bodies were not something I wanted to use for video.  I seriously considered the EOS cinema series, largely in order to be able to use my large selection of EF series lenses, but decided those were overkill for me and a XF400 perfectly fit my needs.  The built in lens which provides a 35mm equivalent range of 26-383MM is of decent quality and although my EF series zoom lenses maintain their same maximum aperture across the zoom range the F2.8 - 4.5 varying maximum of the lens hasn't bothered me so far in video applications.  And if I really want the best optical performance I can always use one of the 1DX bodies for video but to me any current DSLR is going to be a significant compromise-especially for those who shoot handheld video. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements