cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does spending more mean getting less?

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

Unlike a lot of my colleagues in the field, I stayed with my T3i until I proved myself worthy of an upgrade.  But now that I decided to get a "better" camera, I am finding that spending more money means I am getting less performance.  Why is that?   I decided to buy a Pentax K-3, but eventually returned it because it did not give me the flexibilty I wanted.  I decided to put off buying another crop sensor camera for now, so I bought a 6D with a 100mm Macro L-glass lens.  My old T3i with a Tamron 28-300 zoom still produces much better images under the same conditions. What gives?

IMG_tulip1jpg.jpg_MG_tulip.jpg

104 REPLIES 104

Well actually I am also an accomplished seamstress and I can tell you that I enjoy hand sewing much better than machine sewing.  I have much more control.  They don't make the perfect sewing machine either, and definitely not a perfect steam iron.  I often wonder how much more effective tools would be if only women were designing them.  Don't assume I am sexist, but I'm just saying.  

It sounds like you agree that a more expensive tool is no guarantee of better results. However once it's mastered things you couldn't do before become much easier & are usually superior to anything done before. The camera is no different than a sewing machine in that it needs an operator to make it do anything. A better / more expensive camera will only improve your results in areas that your old camera couldn't go. By that I'm talking about things like a faster AF system which wouldn't make a noticible difference shooting stationary targets but it sure changes things when shooting fast paced action. Entry level cameras don't come with all the bells & whistles but then again many who buy them never even read the manual let alone learn how to use the features they've paid for.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I think I am understanding where she is coming from.  If you won a Pulitzer Prize with a G15  (P&S) and than didn't win one with the insanely expensive ESO 1Dx you just bought, was it a good buy?  Her answer is obiviously, no.

I think she should sell the 6D and put that money towards some more glass.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The G15 is no p&s. Unless you consider any camera with a fixed lens to be a from the point and shoot category. I have owned a number of compact cameras and my most recent, a G15, is the most SLR-like.

"a G15, is the most SLR-like."

You said it. "SLR-like"  It is certainly not an SLR.  So just what do we call it?

EB

I like the term "advanced compact camera" . The reason I don't like "point and shoot" is because it becomes a catch all phrase that stresses the ease of use, through auto exposure and shutter algorithms. But an advanced compact camera allows near total creative freedom but in a small form factor.

Ok,  this is why I am freaking out right now.  I took this shot with the new camera and EF100 macro L, at ISO 2000, F9, 1/160sec and it is a mess!!  I took another shot with the old camera at ISO 800, F10, 1/15sec at 300mm and it was a LOT better than this!

IMG_8426rs.jpg

I don't know.  Smiley Frustrated

But I do know your exposure settings are vastly different and would not make the same image even if everything else was equal.

EB

Come on, thats all you can give me?  We are talking a supposedly superior lens vs a third party.   A 28-300 zoom at 300mm and 1/15 sec should not be producing an image that is better than a fixed 100mm with "L" glass.  And don't say to try MF because I did that and that didn't work either.

Miss Cindy,

I can't explain why that particular shot was better or worse with the equipment you have.  I do know your expouser values are vastly different.  That alone would make a great difference in the two shots.

Your EF 100mm lens may need adjusting, who knows?  I would try a lens test chart with each and very strict comparisons.

Equal exposure, equal light quality, equal distance on a tripod, etc and find out for a fact what is going on.

You must compare apples to apples.  You can not say one is better unless you know exactly what and how everything it is working.

EB
Announcements