cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does spending more mean getting less?

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

Unlike a lot of my colleagues in the field, I stayed with my T3i until I proved myself worthy of an upgrade.  But now that I decided to get a "better" camera, I am finding that spending more money means I am getting less performance.  Why is that?   I decided to buy a Pentax K-3, but eventually returned it because it did not give me the flexibilty I wanted.  I decided to put off buying another crop sensor camera for now, so I bought a 6D with a 100mm Macro L-glass lens.  My old T3i with a Tamron 28-300 zoom still produces much better images under the same conditions. What gives?

IMG_tulip1jpg.jpg_MG_tulip.jpg

104 REPLIES 104

There is a learning curve with everypiece of new equipment we buy. You can notsetthe same settings on every camera and get the same results. The 6D is a full frame camera you were shooting with a crop. The ISO settings are going to be a little different becaus of the range of the camera. What white balance setting are you using what picture mode are you in. These will all have an effecton the picture are you shooting raw or jpg.

Using a Full Frame camera at the same settings as a Crop camera will give you less depth of field.  More of the image will have out of focus blur. That could account for some of what you are seeing in some photos.

I can't really say if that applies in the example you provided as it is quite small, and I can't really tell if it is out of focus, or there is motion blur. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike beat me to it. Aside from ordinary focus issues which need to be nailed down, the FF camera gives over a stop shallower DOF at the same aperture.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Ok,  I can accept that, but I think in this case it had more to do with camera shake.  Both were set at F16.

Heh, I always enjoy your threads.  I see we're back to the 300 mm at 1/13 a sec thing again.  Those amazing steady hands.

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

Oh I will put it through the paces and see what i come up with but it only stands to reason that I really ought to be getting a better camera with the 6D than the T3i.  

I've found, through reading these internet forums, that when people simplify comparisons of these highly complex cameras into simple “good, better, best” terms, it’s usually a sign that they don’t understand much about the actual differences.

The primary difference between the 6D and the Rebel line, as far as the final pictures are concerned, is the high ISO performance.  That is what you’re paying for.  Comparing 800 x 600 compressions of photos taking in good light isn’t going to show much of a difference.  With good light I can make most any decent camera produce good images.  At web-sized viewing I can make a camera phone produce results.

Well they do have competitions that are srtictly for camera phones these days.  I wish they would make a camera that is strictly for still and skip the video.  Maybe then they could focus more on the things I really want in a camera.    

Nothing was sacrified to add video.  Canon's dSLRs are first and foremost cameras for stills.  The new cameras are just as capable as older cameras at producing clear images; in many situations they are more capable.  But as discussed before, you have to understand a camera's capabilities in order to take advantage of them.

"Maybe then they could focus more on the things I really want in a camera."

@Cindy-Clicks wrote:

Well they do have competitions that are srtictly for camera phones these days.  I wish they would make a camera that is strictly for still and skip the video.  Maybe then they could focus more on the things I really want in a camera.    

Had you come to this forum before you bought the 6D, this thread could have been very positive. But the tone you have set is negative and not improving. Perhaps you might find a way to be more positive.

It just seems like not very many people shoot in the same manner that I do and I feel like I am in a minority, even though I have some good credentials when it comes to photography.   Like I said, I have come to expect my camera to perform in a certain way and when it doesn't it disturbs me, especially since it is a sacrifice for me to spend a lot of money on equipment.  It doesn't matter though because I have the dirve to keep on moving forward no matter what.  I am willing to go the extra mile when it comes to my photography and that may be one of the reasons why I have been so successful.  I want equipment that can keep up with me.   I would rather have a camera does what I want it to than have the camera dictate what I do.  I had said previously that I am willing to give it more time.  I wanted to get a full frame camera but I still intend to use a crop sensor, and I am anxiously waiting to find out how the new Tamron 16-300mm stacks up because that kind of range definitely appeals to someone like me.  

I think it's pretty clear that you've decided a better camera (or more expensive) camera is supposed to include a very large box of talent inside. A true craftsman can make any set of tools do the job. It may take more work than having the preferrred tool set but they will still produce a fine work of art. How on earth do you think artists of any kind did their thing in ancient Rome.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements