cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does spending more mean getting less?

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

Unlike a lot of my colleagues in the field, I stayed with my T3i until I proved myself worthy of an upgrade.  But now that I decided to get a "better" camera, I am finding that spending more money means I am getting less performance.  Why is that?   I decided to buy a Pentax K-3, but eventually returned it because it did not give me the flexibilty I wanted.  I decided to put off buying another crop sensor camera for now, so I bought a 6D with a 100mm Macro L-glass lens.  My old T3i with a Tamron 28-300 zoom still produces much better images under the same conditions. What gives?

IMG_tulip1jpg.jpg_MG_tulip.jpg

104 REPLIES 104

cale_kat
Mentor

Are you using auto settings? I think I have a clue as to what is going on.Smiley Happy

No, the settings were identical for each camera.  The sharper image is with my old camera and lens.    The focal length was set at 100mm for both, but to be absolutely fair I guess it should have been set to 160 on the crop sensor.  

Auto focus?

Yes but it was a single focus point aimed at one specific point on the flower.

Okay...so why didn't you post two pics in focus?

??,  The problem is that  this very expensive camera and supposedly cream-of -the-crop lens with anti vibration, shows more camera shake(blurrier) than my old beginner camera with a third party lens, at the exact same settings, including shutter speed.  

So, the photo in focus represents the best you can do with the T3i and the photo out of focus represents the best you can do with the 6D. I think you need more practice with the 6D.

Oh I will put it through the paces and see what i come up with but it only stands to reason that I really ought to be getting a better camera with the 6D than the T3i.  Why pay more money for something that does not work as well?  The anti vibration system should work better, or at least as good, in the Canon lens than it does in the Tamron, don't you think.  

Both t3i and 6D are tools. You are the critical factor as to whether they are employed with equal efficiency. Your concerns are not unique or surprising. That you mastered the T3i is commendable. But is it possible it took you some time to develop this mastery. (You spoke of a time when you resisted the temptation to upgrade.)

Having made a leap to a new body and lens, I am not surprised that you are difficulty adjusting. Give it time and good luck.

Announcements