cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know why my 5D3 records H burst mode images out of sequence?

frodoboy
Apprentice

I was shooting a cliff diving event in burst mode. I've shot many burst mode shots in the past. I noticed when I imported them tot he computer that they were all out of order. Never seen that before. My friend who shoots surfing events noticed the same thing on her 5D3. Another friend uses a 70D for surfing events and he too has noitced the out of order images. They both use SD cards. I use a fast Lexar CF card. The 70D friend has a theory that the darker images, since they have less information and are smaller files, somehow get written to the card first. I find that hard to believe  but we are stumped! In my cliff diving shots, as the diver leaves the rock, that image is first. The next shot he is half way down. The next shot he is standing on the rock. The next shot he hits the water. The next shot he is just going into the water. Very strange. Anyone have any ideas? This does not happen when I shoot birds or aviation in burst.

Patrick

5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Hi Patrick,

I have noticed that when I use Lightroom, images are imported and displayed out of order... but if I look at the actual image file names (which have sequence numbers in the name) then the camera did actually get it right.  Why Lightroom displays them out of order has always baffled me.

If you ignore the order in which they are displayed on your monitor and just read the image file names (which end in a number) and look only at those numbers... are they numbered in the correct order?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I change the file name when I import them into Bridge so I can't check that at this time. When I archive the images, they are saved in a date and number format which is different than the original file name the camera embeds in the images. That is interesting though. I will shoot some more burst sequences and test this out. If my renaming is causing the problem, I will have to rethink that. I will also ask my friends if they do the same. If they leave the original filename in tact, then what you suggest does not apply. Thanks for the help!

Patrick

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Never seen that before"

Me either!  Ler me know what it is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Do you guys change the file names of your images on import??? All three of us do which is what we have in common. I am wondering if somehow that is affecting the order instead of just leaving the default filenames when importing?

I never do. I do all editing in LR.  None in the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements