cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do more pixels mean sacrificing flexibility?

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

I own a T3i and it is litterally falling apart on me after just 19 months, due to the sheer volume of photos I take.  I decided to get an upgrade but with the new 24 pixel camera I have,  I have had nothing but problems from the start.  With the T3i,  I frequently shoot with my Tamron 28-300 zoom and  I can consistently take  beautifully clear shots at 1/13 sec at 300mm, hand held.  

I have been told that when you increase pixels the camera gets pickier and needs a tripod.  The way I shoot, I find a tripod to be a great hinderance.  I find it difficult to believe that a more expensive camera will do less for me than the T3i.  I would like to know what your thoughts are.  I will take this camera back and buy another T3i body if that is what I need to do.   I show my work in galleries and was hoping to get less pixillation on larger prints.  I might want to get the new 16-300 lens I hear Tamron is coming out with, if I stay with the T3i. 

31 REPLIES 31

The OP brought up the idea of pixel density because they didn't like the results form the 24MP Pentax K-3 vs their 18MP T3i. "I have been told that when you increase pixels the camera gets pickier and needs a tripod.  

You are right, the 70D is much closer to the T3i than I thought, and it shouldn't make any difference.   

Mike Sowsun

Skirball
Authority

There is so much nonsense in this thread I’m hesitant to  jump in.  But just to stick to the original question:

“I have been told that when you increase pixels the camera gets pickier and needs a tripod.”

I have no idea what pickier means, but in general this makes no sense.  Nor does your comments about moving to full frame.  I don’t think you understand what full frame (assuming similar resolution) entails, but I’d recommend researching before getting one.  The 6D, for example, has a very similar resolution as your T3i, as far as larger prints and pixilation, you’re not going to see a difference.  Nor are you from pretty much any of the rest of Canon’s lineup.  The one camera where you might argue a substantial difference in enlargements (also debatable) is Nikon’s high-res behemoth the D800.  But people are making clean enlargements with far less.

But who cares, you’re an internationally awarded photographer with photos that have less resolution than a 4 year old cellphone. Just keep doing what you’re doing.  Though I would also consider teaching.  You have unique skills to consistently get sharp photos at 300mm and 1/13 handheld.  People would pay good money for that ability.

Announcements