cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do more pixels mean sacrificing flexibility?

Cindy-Clicks
Enthusiast

I own a T3i and it is litterally falling apart on me after just 19 months, due to the sheer volume of photos I take.  I decided to get an upgrade but with the new 24 pixel camera I have,  I have had nothing but problems from the start.  With the T3i,  I frequently shoot with my Tamron 28-300 zoom and  I can consistently take  beautifully clear shots at 1/13 sec at 300mm, hand held.  

I have been told that when you increase pixels the camera gets pickier and needs a tripod.  The way I shoot, I find a tripod to be a great hinderance.  I find it difficult to believe that a more expensive camera will do less for me than the T3i.  I would like to know what your thoughts are.  I will take this camera back and buy another T3i body if that is what I need to do.   I show my work in galleries and was hoping to get less pixillation on larger prints.  I might want to get the new 16-300 lens I hear Tamron is coming out with, if I stay with the T3i. 

31 REPLIES 31

I was using the Pentax 18-270 lens.  I was using 1/30 sec at 270 and getting a lot of blur.   It might be time for me to move up to the full frame,  but I think the best I could do for a lens would be a Sigma 18-250.  I would lose distance but gain macro.  Decisions, desicions.  

Keep in mind that to get the same focal length coverage that you had with a Pentax K-3 1.5x crop camera and 18-270mm,  you would need to have a 27-400mm lens on a Full Frame camera.  Your 28-300 on a T3i is about equal to a 45-480mm. Sigma makes a 50-500mm lens but it costs about $1500 and is very big and heavy.   Sigma 50-500mm

If you need the long focal lengths, I would advise you to stay with an APS-C crop camera like the Canon T4i or T5i.  You would be able to use your existing lenses, but benefit from the latest technology and upgrades in performance. 

Mike Sowsun

If you start thinking full frame you limit your choices in superzooms because most are for crop bodies. As someone who relies on superzooms there is a noticable difference between the cheaper ones INCLUDING the Nikon 28-300 to the Canon 28-300. The lens has more to do with sharper images than the body all other things being equal (as in shutter speed, technique, lighting etc).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes but that is a very heavy and very expensive lens.  At that weight I would think a tripod is necessary.  

Heavy yes, but sharp for what it is too. I use it hand held to shoot radio control events & I'm on the flight line for roughly 7 hours a day using 2 bodies & heavy lenses. Eventually you adjust to the weight but that's not the point I'm trying to make. You will not get sharp images from a high megapixel body using low end lenses.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you, you have given me lots to think about.  I think upgrading to a T5i would be a good idea.  If I want to dabble in full frame I think a 6D would be in order.   A good photographer must have more than one camera.  I was just hoping that I could get by with no more than two to cover all the bases.  I have a Cotton Carrier vest that works great for toting them around when I am out in the field.  Now if it were possible to find a good tripod with the kind of flexibility I need, I would be set.  

Make sure you heed this advise!

"You will not get sharp images from a high megapixel body using low end lenses."

I would stop looking to the third-party lens pretty much, if I were you.  You never did mention a budget so it is hard to suggest equipment for you.  Also the reviews are sometimes pretty suspect.  Especially DXo.  Getting friends advise is better.

One thing more a T5i has a 50 thousnad shot shutter and a 1Dx has a 300+ thousnad shot shutter.  In photography there is no free lunch.  You virtually always have to give up something to get something.  In this case unfortunately it is weight.  Not to mention a very high cost.

How often do you expect to replace your camera?  If this is your second Rebel, that is 1/3 the way to a 5D Mk III.  And in that compaison there is none.  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Well unfotuantely I am not making a lot of money at this point.  Most of the money I spend on equipment I get because my husband is willing buy it.  I  really don't want to get into wedding/portrait photography just to pay for my equipment.  How many International awards do I have to win before the camera companies will lend me their equipment?  lol

What about a Canon 70D?  Wouldn't that be a little better than a T5i?

Sure, it has a little higher resolution and therefore can enlarge a little higher at full res.  I just don't believe the results will make a significant impact.

Announcements