cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do canon have plan to update 60D firmware in the near future?

erry
Apprentice

Do canon have plan to update 60D firmware in the near future?

I wish they add  Lens Aberration Correction feature for JPEG, just like they did on 700D and 70D. I have 700D with 18-135 IS lens which has high CA. The feature really help me prevent my jpeg image from CA.

I know that 60D has that feature for RAW image, but I prefer shoot in JPEG.

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Have you tried Lightroom from Adobe?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

by default Lightroom lens correction profiles only work with RAW image not with JPEG because lens CA correction is assumed already processed in camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Don't know if I am understanding you but Lightroom removes CA and defringes any image.  See screen shot below.

1.jpg

This is a JPG.  You can see the correction options on the right side.

EB

hsbn
Whiz

Your camera already has this feature. If you turn it on, it will work only on JPEG. RAW images doesn't get corrected, the camera just embedded the note into the image. This note can only be read by Canon DPP software. If you use third party software like Lightroom, Capture One, these correction will be ignored. In short, Lens CA correction is only applicable to to JPEG.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Thanks for the reply.

If I’m not mistaken, 60D doesn’t have Chromatic Aberration Correction menu for shot in jpeg. I have search, there is only lens peripheral illmuninance correction available.

The CA Correction option is only available in RAW Image processing menu.

I know that the CA can be fixed with software, but I really like that CA correction feature appear on the 60D Menu like  on 700D and 70D, so I can enable it and take JPEG shot already free of CA without having to process it later with software.

My son has 700D so I can compare it with my 60D

With 60D, when shoot in jpeg I can only enable Peripheral Illuminance Correction. But with 700D I can enable both Peripheral Illuminance and CA correction. The JPEG image that comes from 700D when the CA Correction feature enabled is already recorded free from CA so I don’t need to post process it.

This feature is very useful when I’m far away from my computer and having to share my shots immediately after I took it. For this reason, I never bring my 60D on vacation, just borrow my son’s 700D instead.

BTW, I did try take the shot in RAW, and processed it with RAW Image Processing in 60D, but never happy with the result. Most of the time the CA still there.

Second choice, beter lenses.

EB

Yup, better lenses should solve the problem. But I just love the 18-135 range for walk around lens.

Well, if there isn’t any hardware constrains or marketing policies constrain, I really hope Canon put that feature on 60D menu. Just to please some of 60D user, or maybe just to please me.

Announcements