cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance from end of lens to subject

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Is there an easy way to see the distance in feet when reviewing pics. I’d like to know how far away the subject was. A friend’s Nikon has it as part of metadata but I’m not seeing it in the Canon metadata
19 REPLIES 19

Thank you so much for the link and your reply with good information.    I have read many articles and watched YouTube video's.    I will admit the AF tracking system has me still trying to figure it out.    I will read the link you provided and hopefully get  to where it makes sense to me.     If the lighting is good - the shots are coming out pretty good.     But when the weather is very cloudy and gray - the subjects are fuzzy and grainy.     Thankfully the 5D IV is much better than my 5D iii in the grain/noise.

Thank you

Quick question - I have both the 5D Mark III and Mark IV.    When I was setting up the AF settings for the IV - there seemed to be a few different options.     The guidebook you provide the link for - is there one available for the Mark IV or are they the same?    Thank you

@Sadie1 wrote:

Quick question - I have both the 5D Mark III and Mark IV.    When I was setting up the AF settings for the IV - there seemed to be a few different options.     The guidebook you provide the link for - is there one available for the Mark IV or are they the same?    Thank you

I do not know.  There is one for the 7D2 and the 1Dx II, both of which have AF systems that are similar to the 5D4.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Thank You. I was hoping the exif data would list the distance as I am asked after a picture is printed what distance I was.

Sadie1
Enthusiast
I have the Canon 5D Mark IV

From page ~400 of the manual:

Untitled.jpg

This is arguably better for your purposes than knowing the focus distance.

Your lenses should provide the distance info.

Thank you.    I have that set up on my 5D Mark iii - but on the Mark IV - "Disable Display" is showing off and when I hit the set button to change it - it does not give me the option.   

Great camara and great lens.  When I try to shoot wildlife I use the top wheel to select the focus point but often have to anticipate.  I pick the wildlife or an item at the same distance and lock the lens focus (hold at half press) and then compose/try to catch the animal befor pressing the rest of the way.  Usually works.

Thank you - I am fairly new to wildlife photography and still struggle with it when the lighting is bad.     I have not tried focus lock yet.    Thanks

Announcements