cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance from end of lens to subject

Sadie1
Enthusiast
Is there an easy way to see the distance in feet when reviewing pics. I’d like to know how far away the subject was. A friend’s Nikon has it as part of metadata but I’m not seeing it in the Canon metadata
19 REPLIES 19

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It will not be from the front of the lens. It will be from the sensor, and only certain lenses provide the data. Moreover, you might need DPP to see it.

Thank you - on my laptop - DPP does not work well - it keeps crashing.     Do you know where I can find the list of lenses that provide that info?

@Sadie1 wrote:

Thank you - on my laptop - DPP does not work well - it keeps crashing.     Do you know where I can find the list of lenses that provide that info?

I don't think Canon provides that info.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@Sadie1 wrote:

I don't think Canon provides that info.

Macro lenses.  It is my understanding that only ertain combinations of professional grade bodies and professional macro lenses provide that info in DPP.  There is a slider that indicates focus distance in DPP.

I do not think any of the super telephoto lenses report distance in DPP.  The DoF can become too great to give a precise distance to the focused subject.  Even the Lightroom plugin I have only reports a range of distances.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Focus distance is measured from the sensor (there's a universal mark on nearly every camera body ... looks like a circle with a horizontal line drawn through the center of it)  

See:  http://www.photokonnexion.com/definition-focal-plane-mark/

The camera in that photo happens to be a Canon camera, but it doesn't matter... every camera manufacturer uses that same symbol and has for years... you can find this on cameras that are 50 years old.  On some older cameras it was just a line (no circle) but the line with the circle has been the industry standard for a very long time.

Many lenses will report the focus distance to the camera ... but not ALL lenses.  If the lens reports the info, then Canon includes it in the image meta-data. 

The distance from the front of the lens to the subject is sometimes called the "working distance".  This info is not in the meta-data (the industry standard is to go by "focus distance" not "working distance").  If you really wanted to know the "working distance" you'd have to measure from the focus mark to the front of the lens and subtract that from the focus distance.  Just place the camera nose-down (lens down) on a flat table and measure the height from the table to the focus plane mark.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Quote: " If you really wanted to know the "working distance" you'd have to measure from the focus mark to the front of the lens and subtract that from the focus distance.  Just place the camera nose-down (lens down) on a flat table and measure the height from the table to the focus plane mark."

And of course if the lens extends as you use the variable focal length set it to the same fl.  That info is usually in the meta data also.

Thank you.    I think I should hit the resolve button.     I don't think I presented my question clearly.     If I'm looking at a picture on the laptop and I'm not pleased with the sharpness of the subject I was focusing on - it would be nice to know approximately how many feet I was from the subject.

When out shooting wildlife - there are birds I think I can get a decent shot and they do not come out.     I am not a good judge of distance so I was hoping there was an easy way of finding the the focus distance.     I am using the Canon 100-400 L II lens.    Must be I would need the larger lense to get that information displayed in the metadata.

Thank you

What camera do you have? Some will display the points that were in focus when the shot was taken - as long as you have lens coreections turned off.

@Sadie1 wrote:

Thank you.    I think I should hit the resolve button.     I don't think I presented my question clearly.     If I'm looking at a picture on the laptop and I'm not pleased with the sharpness of the subject I was focusing on - it would be nice to know approximately how many feet I was from the subject.

When out shooting wildlife - there are birds I think I can get a decent shot and they do not come out.     I am not a good judge of distance so I was hoping there was an easy way of finding the the focus distance.     I am using the Canon 100-400 L II lens.    Must be I would need the larger lense to get that information displayed in the metadata.

Thank you

The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has a well earned reputation for being razor sharp.  But, there is a learning curve associated with using super telephoto lenses.  You have to learn how to adjust the camera, and how to adjust the lens.

The lens has a focusing distance switch, which I normally leave set to “3m to Infinity”.  This setting makes a world of difference when focusing on subjects further than 10 feet away, which is nearly everything I aiming at with the lens.

The lens also has different IS, Image Stabilization, modes.  Use Mode 1 for focusing on a stationary subject when shooting handheld.  Use Mode 2 when you are panning to track a subject, either horizontally or vertically.  Mode 3 disables IS until you press the shutter.  I would stick to Modes 1 or 2 if you are just starting out.  I almost never use Mode 3, BTW.

Camera settings are far more complicated.  Every shooting scenario is different, but there are certain strategies that you may want to follow.  Strive for a high shutter speed, always, when shooting most types of action photography.  Sometimes you want to capture motion blur, but for most wildlife you want the fastest shutter that is practical.  I would strive to use 1/800, or faster.  I typically try to shoot with the lens at 1/1600, or faster.

Unlike many lenses, you can shoot wide open with the lens and capture razor sharp images.  This can help gain a full stop in our shutter speed.  Dial in the maximum aperture, and go for it.  This is also where the camera shooting mode can make a difference.  Should you Av, Tv, or M?  I prefer to have complete control of aperture and shutter speed, so I shoot in Manual with ISO set to Auto.

Setting exposure is the easy part.  Selecting the best AF focusing mode, and drive mode, can make.a big difference.  And, then there is the question of AF point selection.  Do you select it, or should you let the camera select it?

My rule of thumb says when using One Shot focusing, then use Single Shot drive mode.  When using AI Servo focusing mode, then use Continuous Shooting drive mode.  I like to use the former for stationary subjects, like a bird on a tree branch.  I like to use the latter for birds in flight.

https://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/product/cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii/AF_guide_EOS5D_MarkIII_eng_Januar...

As far as setting up AF points and AF tracking settings, you really should become familiar with the AF Shooting Guide.  Generally, I will use the center AF point for One Shot mode.  AI Servo mode is more complicated because of the sophisticated  tracking features, and AF points display modes.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements