cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional

steveparent
Apprentice

Hi,

The Canon 70d is a very nice camera that is quite new.

Will the DPP 4.1.xx software be available for it in the future?

Thanks,

Steve

14 REPLIES 14

Skirball
Authority

I don't know if anybody (outside of Canon) knows for sure, but the assumption is yes.  Canon said something along the lines of 'the initial release of DPP 4 and EOS 3 will be compatible with the full frame cameras..."  Which most interpret to mean that the full line will be added eventually.  No idea when, or why they would use this strategy. 

Skirball
Authority

@steveparent wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, on December 17.  🙂

Version 4.1.15 is out, which supports the 70D.  Interestingly, they only added a specific selection of cameras such as the  EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 700D and EOS 100D.

I can't say I like where Canon is coming from on this choice, and I'd like to hear their thought behind it.  Models like the 600D and 650D are almost identical to the 700D, so I can't imagine it would have taken much to add those.  Truthfully I don't know why all Canon cameras wouldn't be supported.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/dpp_4_1_50_available_with_support_for_more_cameras.do

@Skirball wrote:

@steveparent wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, on December 17.  🙂

Version 4.1.15 is out, which supports the 70D.  Interestingly, they only added a specific selection of cameras such as the  EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 700D and EOS 100D.

I can't say I like where Canon is coming from on this choice, and I'd like to hear their thought behind it.  Models like the 600D and 650D are almost identical to the 700D, so I can't imagine it would have taken much to add those.  Truthfully I don't know why all Canon cameras wouldn't be supported.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/dpp_4_1_50_available_with_support_for_more_cameras.do

Hmmm... It's already the 18th, and I can't find it on the Canon Web site. But if true, it's certainly good news. It's been absurdly inconvenient to use Version 4 on pictures I take with my 5D3 but to have to use Version 3 on pictures taken with my 7D's. And when, in the previous release, they included the 7D2 but not the 7D, I was livid.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:
Hmmm... It's already the 18th, and I can't find it on the Canon Web site. But if true, it's certainly good news. It's been absurdly inconvenient to use Version 4 on pictures I take with my 5D3 but to have to use Version 3 on pictures taken with my 7D's. And when, in the previous release, they included the 7D2 but not the 7D, I was livid.

I totally agree.  I don't use DPP, but for those who do this would be very inconvenient.  But what about someone who has a 5d3 and a 60D?  Or a 6D and a 650D?  It's absurd that they limit who can use it and who can't.  Very reminicient of Apple's obsolescence business strategies.

This is the info, including the link to the Canon website.

Canon has released an updated version of its Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software, which now supports – in addition to its current range of full-frame DSLRs – the EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 700D and EOS 100D…

Launched in September 2014, Digital Photo Professional 4 was Canon’s first sweeping change to its popular RAW processing software since its original launch. The latest version of DPP – version 4.1.50 – is a response to feedback from owners of older full-frame and APS-C cameras who are looking for the very latest RAW workflow solution.

Additionally, DPP 4.1.50 supports the recently launched EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lenses, the profiles for which are now available for use with the Lens Correction function.

Commenting on the update, Mike Owen, European Professional Imaging Communications Manager, Professional Imaging Department, Canon Europe, said: “DPP 4.0 has proved incredibly popular with our customers and this latest update further extends its appeal to a wider range of users, such as those using the highly successful EOS 5D Mark II. Canon remains firmly committed to offering a complete range of products to photographers and increasingly its software solutions are playing a vital role in delivering the ultimate in image quality from capture to output.”

DPP 4.1.50: KEY FEATURES

• Faster, real-time adjustments.
  • Improved RAW file workflow.
  • Better, more approachable user interfaces.
  • Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
  • Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
  • Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
  • Improved shadow recovery function.
  • Support for movie playback.
  • Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
  • Better integration with EOS Utility.

You can download DPP 4.1.50 now, free of charge, from Canon Europe’s support site here. Just click on your camera – EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 700D and EOS 100D – and select DPP 4.1.50 from the software options to download.

@KingEyre wrote:

This is the info, including the link to the Canon website.

Canon has released an updated version of its Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software, which now supports – in addition to its current range of full-frame DSLRs – the EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 700D and EOS 100D…

Launched in September 2014, Digital Photo Professional 4 was Canon’s first sweeping change to its popular RAW processing software since its original launch. The latest version of DPP – version 4.1.50 – is a response to feedback from owners of older full-frame and APS-C cameras who are looking for the very latest RAW workflow solution.

Additionally, DPP 4.1.50 supports the recently launched EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM and EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM lenses, the profiles for which are now available for use with the Lens Correction function.

Commenting on the update, Mike Owen, European Professional Imaging Communications Manager, Professional Imaging Department, Canon Europe, said: “DPP 4.0 has proved incredibly popular with our customers and this latest update further extends its appeal to a wider range of users, such as those using the highly successful EOS 5D Mark II. Canon remains firmly committed to offering a complete range of products to photographers and increasingly its software solutions are playing a vital role in delivering the ultimate in image quality from capture to output.”

DPP 4.1.50: KEY FEATURES

• Faster, real-time adjustments.
  • Improved RAW file workflow.
  • Better, more approachable user interfaces.
  • Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
  • Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
  • Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
  • Improved shadow recovery function.
  • Support for movie playback.
  • Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
  • Better integration with EOS Utility.

You can download DPP 4.1.50 now, free of charge, from Canon Europe’s support site here. Just click on your camera – EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 700D and EOS 100D – and select DPP 4.1.50 from the software options to download.

I got it, and it seems to work. I haven't had a chance yet to see whether it fixes any of the bugs in the previous release or improves on the awkward user interface. But it does work on my 7D RAW files, which is what I badly wanted. That said, it still doesn't work on files from my wife's T2i; and since we do some photo shoots together, that remains an annoying inconvenience. I think they should just make V4 work on all .CR2 RAW files.

As of this morning, the new release is still not on the Canon USA Web site, nor is there any mention of it there.

If you haven't downloaded DPP V4 before, don't be blindsided by the fact that they make you enter the serial number of a qualifying camera. If you don't have that on your computer, you'll want to look it up ahead of time.

There's also a new release of Version 3 of EOS Utility. But it appears that the only addition is the aberration data for one or two recently released lenses.

Bob

"And when, in the previous release, they included the 7D2 but not the 7D, I was livid."

And, yet, another reason to use Light Room.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"And when, in the previous release, they included the 7D2 but not the 7D, I was livid."

I'll add it to my list. Which still, however, contains more reasons not to.

Actually, now that they've made V4 work with RAW files from the 7D, that reason comes back off of the list.

Bob

ebiggs1 wrote:

I'll add it to my list. Which still, however, contains more reasons not to.

Actually, now that they've made V4 work with RAW files from the 7D, that reason comes back off of the list.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Bob from Boston,
I try DPP every so often just to see if there is any reason to use it or switch.  Even a good or bad reason, just any reason.  I keep trying and I will likey keep trying with this version.  I see a big problem for me right off, however, it only supports one of my cameras.  The 1D Mk IV.  I have all the 1 series here exceptign the 1Dx.  I use the 1d4 and the 1ds3 99.5% of the time.

Still my firm conclusion is, DPP is awful.  ACR and PS and LR are so much better and, yes, they work with all my cameras!
Why would anybody buy a program when there is one offered for free, if that program offered any good features?  That alone speakes volumes.  Yet that is what the way vast majority of the photography world does.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements