cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting image files in camera

Petem61
Apprentice

Hello All,

What is the definitive determination about deleting image files in camera after a shoot? I used to do this all the time until I heard that it shouldn't be done. Then I read on a well known photo instructor's weekly blog that it's ok to do so.

So what's the concensus on the matter?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

SamanthaW

Hi!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know the model camera you have.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Thanks!

Oh yes....sorry. I'm currently shooting with a Canon 5D-Mark II.

Thanks.

@Petem61 wrote:

Oh yes....sorry. I'm currently shooting with a Canon 5D-Mark II.

Thanks.

I have used several different Canon DSLRs.  I have never had a problem with deleting the most recent image.  I have never tried to delete a photo from the middle of the deck of cards.  I always do that in post after a download.  If I do not immediately delete it, then I worry about it later in post.  Why waste the battery power going through a hundred photos and selecting ones to delete?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply

I'm not worried about battery power but more clogging up hard drive space with unwanted photos...but terrabyte space is not as expensive as it used to be and there are ways to delete unwanted photos there too. Also heard deleting in the camera could mess up the File Allocation System. So I think I may be answering my own question as I go...

@Petem61 wrote:

Thanks for the reply

I'm not worried about battery power but more clogging up hard drive space with unwanted photos...but terrabyte space is not as expensive as it used to be and there are ways to delete unwanted photos there too. Also heard deleting in the camera could mess up the File Allocation System. So I think I may be answering my own question as I go...

Yup.  Yup.  Yepper.  Browsing through your photos in the camera while you are shooting frequently means you are missing shots.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We are just random guys on the internet, so I think the only thing we are "definitive" about is that you should not use a micro SD with an adapter.

That said, whatever may have originated that advice is probably long past. I feel that the camera LCD is not good enough to really evaluate your photos, except for the ones where your strap is across the lens. 8^)

With the fairly low price per gigabyte of high performance memory cards I think you are far better off not trying to do any deletion during a shoot.

I don't like subjecting the somewhat fragile CF and CFast card connectors to a high insertion/removal duty cycle so my standard workflow is to plug an ethernet cable into my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies and dump everything to a SSD for processing.

Any individual image deletion is done with the files AFTER they are on the computer drive.  In the camera I will either delete all files on card or format the card (every several transfer cycles) but I don't do anything with individual files in camera.

I use the EOS utility to transfer RAW data files which is very fast over the gigabit ethernet port so I get a few sips of coffee while watching the full screen preview window of the images flashing by.  Once I am through with processing I transfer the non-deleted RAW files along with a directory of those processed to TIFF or JPG to a regular hard drive for longer term storage and then erase the memory card in camera.

Too much can go wrong trying to delete individual photos in the field and is not limited to electronic "glitches" with operator "glitches" being a major concern when trying to do too many tasks under time pressure.

Rodger 

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Peter
Authority
Authority
Heard it many times about not deleting in camera. Never seen any proof about it. I don't know how the rumor was started.

Normally I format my card after I transferred the files to my computer. If I find a picture in my camera that is unsharp, I delete it in camera.

"Heard it many times about not deleting in camera."

Me too, it is nonsense.

"Never seen any proof about it."

I can only report my own experience, I have never had a problem and I delete whatever whenever I wnat to.

"I don't know how the rumor was started."

Somebody had a problem sometime, somewhere and related it incorrectly to deleteing a file from the CF/SD card. It happens all the time people assicoiate cause and effect to a wrong situation.  People will incorrectly assume a causal relationship between two events where one immediately follows the other? In fact one did not influence the other in any way.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements