cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding between 80D with EF-S 18-55 & EF-S 55-250 OR 80D with EF-S 18-135

georgekhan
Apprentice

I am ready to step into the DSLR world and have pretty much decided on the 80D as my camera of choice. I has seen a bundle that includes the EF-S 18-55mm & EF-S 55-250mm lenses, and a separate slightly more expensive bundle that includes only the EF-S 18-135mm lens. I am after your advice on how to commence this journey into DSLR photography.

14 REPLIES 14

Ray-uk
Whiz

Of the two options I would say the one with the 18-55 & 55-250 is the one to choose. Make sure the 55-250 is the latest STM version because that is much better than the earlier versions.

I find 135mm is an awkward length on a crop camera and a lens that covers a huge range from 18-135 is going to be lens full of compromises and probably not perform great at any length.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Of the two options I would say the one with the 18-55 & 55-250 is the one to choose. Make sure the 55-250 is the latest STM version because that is much better than the earlier versions.

I find 135mm is an awkward length on a crop camera and a lens that covers a huge range from 18-135 is going to be lens full of compromises and probably not perform great at any length.

Which is absolutely not true for the 18-135.

A. It is a pretty good lens just by itself (I just wish it went to 15)

B. Distortion correction can fix any issues that are there.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@Ray-uk wrote:

Which is absolutely not true for the 18-135.

A. It is a pretty good lens just by itself (I just wish it went to 15)

B. Distortion correction can fix any issues that are there.

I have never used the 18-135 but looking at this comparison I don't think I would buy one.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1045&Camera=963&Sample=...

@Ray-uk wrote:

From owning these lenses I can say that the 55-250 STM lens is a great unit, but just not long enough for me.  The 18-135 STM is an amazing piece of kit and both of the ones I own produce excellent results for walk-around shooting.  In fact if a kit lens was considered I would suggest that alone, and wait until you know the camera well and wait to get a longer telephoto.  As was wisely suggested you can rent a long telephoto to establish what you really want in that range.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am ready to step into the DSLR world and have pretty much decided on the 80D as my camera of choice. ... I am after your advice on how to commence this journey into DSLR photography."

The decision you need to make is are you trying to be a beginner or are you thinking of more? You comment suggests you are wanting more than just entry level gear, to me.  The 80D is not an entry level DSLR. If you choose to do beginner gear select all beginner gear.  That would seem to me the Rebel line, perhaps a T7 and Canon's EOS Rebel T7 Camera Bundle for Beginners is what you want. Why spend more money than where you want to be?

However, choosing the 80D, a camera that will take you farther and possibly be a single purchase instead of upgrading from something like a T7 to it.  Seems logical to me. It deserves better lenses. The EOS 80D along with the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a bag that will go far.

I would bet you one thing if you take the advice of the folks that tell you to get the entry level kit lenses, you will be buying better lenses, likely the same FL lenses, later on.  So, buy once and be set or buy twice or three times?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements