cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark rings around JPEGs with Sigma lenses?

SolomonShawn
Apprentice

When I shoot JPEG with my 1D-X and Sigma art lenses, I get dark rings around the JPEGs. I shoot both raw and JPEG, and when the CR2 converts to a DNG format, the rings disappear. But no matter what settings I use, the JPEGs are unusable, and I can't find anything in Photoshop or Lightroom to remove the rings. Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to repair it? I get otherwise gorgeous pictures with the Sigmas.

13 REPLIES 13

"Rodger,

You need to try and/or buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I'm tellin' ya. BTW, it is $500 off on sale right now."

I hear you Ernie and it is tempting but I am not sure WHEN I will be shooting sports again because this COVID thing is going to be hanging on for the foreseeable future.  I may be a "birder" by the time this is all over 😞

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

"Rodger,

You need to try and/or buy the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Sports Lens. I'm tellin' ya. BTW, it is $500 off on sale right now."

I hear you Ernie and it is tempting but I am not sure WHEN I will be shooting sports again because this COVID thing is going to be hanging on for the foreseeable future.  I may be a "birder" by the time this is all over 😞

Rodger

Yeah, I have a couple of friends I grew up with, who are pro sports photographers.  They have no idea when they will go back to their old roles, or even if the roles would be renewed at some future date.

Being independent contractors, they are having more problems drawing unemployment that the people who for an employer, when it comes to filing and collecting unemployment checks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... I am not sure WHEN I will be shooting sports again ..."

They are talking about all sports coming back sooner than later.  They are going to need photographers more than ever if fans are not allowed. NCAA will do the same and I suspect high school varsity will too.  You have an "in" so you could be the guy.

With any new gear, a lens, needs to have a get acquainted period.  WHat an opportunity you have. Now is the time! 

I have Sigma's 1.4x tel-con for mine.  I hate tel-cons but I admit this lens handles it well or at least good enough.  Yes it does suffer but not horribly. I have never used it for important stuff but again I got acquainted with using it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

haydentech
Apprentice

This has already been answered generally, but to be specific, you need to turn OFF the Peripheral Illumination Correction in the Lens Aberration Correction menu.  The other Lens Aberration options can be kept ON without issue.

Announcements