cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark pictures with canon 5d mark 3 and 600ex flash, night indoors in Auto Mode and flash on.

getit
Apprentice

I have purchased a new canon 5d mark 3 and speedlight 600ex-rt flash. While testing it indoor at night , the room lights are on and I was using the Auto Mode with Flash on. The pictures are Dark with the Flash on and when the flash is turned off the pictures are brighter. I am confused. How to get the AUto mode working with the Flash on.

17 REPLIES 17

@nmotion4 wrote:

I'm new to flash also, actually just got the 600 today, but can't you also achieve 1/60 by adjusting the ISO if you want to keep a certain aperture for dof?

Of course.  Aperture is the very first thing I choose 99% of the time.  Especially with flash when you get a fourth variable to bring into the exposure calculation.

For manual flash: First I pick the aperture I want for the DoF I want.  I select ISO 100 unless I know that I'm going to have to pull that up.  And I select my max sync speed to minimize ambient light.  Then I pick a starting point for the flash usually 1/16 unless I know I need more/less (just a guess from experience).  If I have to push my flash past 1/4 power then I start raising my ISO instead (quicker recycle times, less drain on flash).  Once I get my flash(es) where I want then I lower my shutter speed to balance in ambient light, if I want.  If I can't slow the shutter speed enough I raise my ISO as well (but then I have to lower the power on my flash accordingly).

For eTTL: The quickest way is to pick the aperture I want and take a photo in Av mode, without the flash.  Then I flip over to manual using the same settings but move it down a stop or two.  Then flip on the flash and let it bring my subject back up to proper exposure.

Thanks for sharing your techniques....i'll give them a try. May I ask which metering modes you use when using a flash?

Flash or camera metering mode?

I almost always keep my camera in manual when I'm using flash, and frequently even when I'm not, so I don't worry about metering modes very much.  My camera usually stays in evaluative, unless I use spot for high contrast scenes with moving subjects.

Flash I use eTTL II, when I'm not in manual.

Oh.....i didn't know metering modes didn't matter in Manual mode. Ok....I'll give those techniques a try....I'm still trying to figure out how all the variables work together. I'm just glad I'm not using film...this would cost a fortune in testing 🙂 Again, thanks for the advice!

Eugene

I have the same problem

I have 2 EOS 5D MARK 3'S and they both underexpose with canon flashes - the 600EX and the older 580 EX2's

It has forced me to use my Mark 3 only with my studio lights and continue using my Mark 2 with on camera flash

This has been very disapointing

Program Mode is auto mode but you can change the setting. In a way, it's exactly like Auto mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

getit,

Can you post an example... or provide a link to an example?

This would better allow us to pinpoint why this is happening.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

getit,

Can you post an example... or provide a link to an example?

This would better allow us to pinpoint why this is happening.

Yes, with EXIF data.

Announcements