cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Exposer-6d

rosepedals860
Contributor

I just purchased a 6d.  There are two problems. When I take pictures in fairly good lighting with my apture at 4 and somehow a higher iso of 6000. I am still getting dark photos. Also my Speedlite (430EXIII-RT) only fires 50 percent of the time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm almost positive its exposure compensation. EC doesn't work in manual or Auto. Reset to 0. See manual. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am guessing you perhaps inadvertently set camera to Manual mode?

6000 is a shutter speed; a very fast shutter speed. At that shutter speed and aperture you would need at ISO 400 to get proper exposure in bright sunlight. "Fairly bright" perhaps  ISO 1000 or greater.

Set camera to Auto or Program and take a photo; that will at least sort out a possible camera problem.

Under what conditions/settings are you using flash?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

rosepedals860
Contributor
It's not the shutter speed, it's the iso. I have it set to av mode.

rosepedals860
Contributor
Sorry I just realized I meant to put a higher is of 6000

OK, understood.

If you are at ISO 6000 with Av camera should set an appropriate shutter speed for good exposure.

When you look in viewfinder is the exposure arrow at center of exposure scale?

Do you perhaps have negative exposure compensation dialed in?

Still try in Program and see what happens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ezpop
Rising Star
Which metering mode are you using ? Avoid spot metering if you are not sure how it works. If the center spot is aiming at a very bright area, the camera will be tricked to under-expose and thus dark photos.

Thats what doesnt make any sence.The meter is inthe negative (-2 to be exact) at a 4 apature and 2500 iso. On my T2i the same area at a 4 apature I can move the iso all the way down to 800 and its still balanced and not dark. 

" The meter is in the negative (-2 to be exact) at f4 aperture and 2500 iso." You didn't mention shutter speed. Did you shoot in Manual mode or you shot in TV mode and set the shutter speed to 1/4000, 1/8000 ???

If it is in the -2, that means it is under-exposure for 2 stops. Change the ISO to Auto ISO, set aperture to F4 and let the camera decide the shutter speed - Rotate the dial mode to AV.

Or try shooting in P or Auto modes as suggested.

Then see what happens.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Are you in Program mode?

Try clearing all camera settings in Menu.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

rosepedals860
Contributor

No matter how much I change the iso, it does not change the meter. It must be a camera problem?

Announcements