cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR for Videography/Video Journalism and Photography/Photojournalism for me?

umdterps2020
Contributor

Dear Canon Community

I need assistance buying a DSLR camera. I am looking for a DSLR camera that has a headphone jack where I can monitor audio. I am also looking for a DSLR where I fully have manual control over shutter speed, aperture, and ISO during live video recording. I want to be able to adjust and view the changes while I am recording video.

I am looking do video journalism and photojournalism. I want to practice and improve my skills in photography and videography.  I am a beginner and will be a first time user. I have no price point.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

shayari
Apprentice

I have collected some money want to spend it on a new DSLR camera, which could take my photography business to new heights. In the area where I live and work, customers check out the cameras and quality of the photos before placing the order. So Even I am not sure, which one to buy. There should be a free testing for few days of all the camera before buying one.

I am Shayari and I love Canon.
I am using EOS 600D, 700D.

@shayari wrote:

I have collected some money want to spend it on a new DSLR camera, which could take my photography business to new heights. In the area where I live and work, customers check out the cameras and quality of the photos before placing the order. So Even I am not sure, which one to buy. There should be a free testing for few days of all the camera before buying one.

I'd say your best bet is the 7D Mark 2. It's a big step up from the entry level series ("Rebel" in the US, other names elsewhere) you're now using, but will accept your current lenses. You may, of course, want new lenses anyway, but it may be useful not to have to buy them all at once.

Of course if you already have mostly EF lenses, you could consider a 6D or a 5D Mark 3.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@umdterps2020 wrote:

Dear Canon Community

I need assistance buying a DSLR camera. I am looking for a DSLR camera that has a headphone jack where I can monitor audio. I am also looking for a DSLR where I fully have manual control over shutter speed, aperture, and ISO during live video recording. I want to be able to adjust and view the changes while I am recording video.

I am looking do video journalism and photojournalism. I want to practice and improve my skills in photography and videography.  I am a beginner and will be a first time user. I have no price point.

Thank you.

If you really have no price point, save yourself some grief and buy separate still and video cameras. Only the best DSLRs do video well enough to satisfy a professional videographer or serious amateur, and even then we regularly field questions from disappointed users wringing their hands over some missing feature. A recurring complaint by users who haven't done their homework stems from the fact that because of international taxation agreements, a DSLR can't record a video sequence longer than 30 minutes. The fact that a DSLR can record video is interesting and sometimes useful, but be sure you can accept the consequences before going that route.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jazzman1
Rising Star

I agree with Bob here.  I also film video's but have a separate video camcorder for video.  Even though your DSLR will handle video it's not ideal for that.   Canon cautions that your DSLR may run hot and shutoff after running a short time in video mode.  I'm no expert, but I suspect using video, over time, may harm your DSLR's sensor, even shorten your shutter life.  But I could be wrong, don't hold me to that.   That's why I don't use my DSLR for sustained video.  I do a short clip (a few minutes) every once in awhile is all. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Both of you guys want and need the C500.  Check it out.

Remember a DSLR is a still camera that shoots video.  It is not a true video camera.  Just like a cell phone is a phone that can shoot pictures.  It is not a real camera.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Both of you guys want and need the C500.  Check it out.

Remember a DSLR is a still camera that shoots video.  It is not a true video camera.  Just like a cell phone is a phone that can shoot pictures.  It is not a real camera.  Smiley Frustrated

If you're referring to me, I have a camcorder and would never consider using my DSLR for serious video's.  If you meant me Biggs, you must not have understood what I said.

No, I was not.  There were two posters at the beginning of this thread.   ("umdteros2020" and "shayari")

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sorry biggs I missed the 2nd poster.

Announcements