cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR BUYING GUIDE

fhashby
Contributor

I AM NEW TO THE DSLR WORD BUT AM WANTING TO PURCHASE AN UPPER END MID-RANGE DSLR FIR USE DURING MY HUNTING/FISHING EXCURSIONS WHICH AT TIMES MAY BE FRIGID, COLD, RAINY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE.  CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A CANON MODEL TO FIT THE BILL?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority

Yeah, no doubt, based on what you said you need.  7d Mk. 2.

Consider going body-only instead of buying a package deal with a kit lens if you can afford to get a good "L" lens, as most of them are weatherproofed, and It makes sense to keep the whole setup weatherproofed. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

A nice feature of the 7D Mk II is its ability to use just about any 'alphabet" lens out there.  It will not use one of the few and unlikely yo encounter EF-M lenses.

The letters are usually a naming scheme that the advertising department came up with.  You really need to set a goal or a requirement standard before you go lens shopping.  Other words, what do you want to take pictures of? Under what conditions?

A couple things to keep in mind, one is, weather-proof is a somewhat misleading term.  Neither the 7D2 nor the lens is water-proof !  Splash proof is a better term. Secondly DSLR's like the 7D2, do need some consideration when you are in colder weather.  Maybe 30 degrees and below.  Batteries don't last nearly as long.

My suggestion as a pretty good starting point is the 7D Mk II and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This lens is not a whole lot better than the standard kit lens but it offers a fixed f2.8 aperture which is a big plus. No EF-S lens is really weather-proof but this one has some attempts at it.  Never-the-less this would be a great starter combo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

ScottyP
Authority

Yeah, no doubt, based on what you said you need.  7d Mk. 2.

Consider going body-only instead of buying a package deal with a kit lens if you can afford to get a good "L" lens, as most of them are weatherproofed, and It makes sense to keep the whole setup weatherproofed. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

And check the refurb cameras in the Canon eStore.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you for the note, John.

It does appear one could save quite  few pesos with the refurbished body and/or package.  Any issues with warranty, tech support, etc. when buying refurbished?

Kindest regards, 

Frank Ashby

Strawberry Plains, TN

Thank you for the note, John.

It does appear one could save quite  few pesos with the refurbished body and/or package.  Any issues with warranty, tech support, etc. when buying refurbished?

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

And check the refurb cameras in the Canon eStore.

Kindest regards, 

Frank Ashby

Strawberry Plains, TN

@fhashby wrote:

I purchased a refurbished 7D Mk II with the recent Black Friday deal.
I have previously purchased other refurbished cameras from Canon Direct (SX50HS and G1X). The cameras always look brand new and have the same 1 year warranty as new gear.

Thanks for the assistance and yes my old fat fingers have been broken a time or too

Scott, 

Good morning and thanks you for the assistance.  I am assuming the setup you described might be for your system or ?  As you might imagine I will also need some major assistance in selecting a couple of lenses for my "package"  I did take note of your recommended "EF...L" series lenses; however in a general sense, is there a guide to ascertaining all the abbreviations EF, STM, EF-S, SIgma, et al.?

A nice feature of the 7D Mk II is its ability to use just about any 'alphabet" lens out there.  It will not use one of the few and unlikely yo encounter EF-M lenses.

The letters are usually a naming scheme that the advertising department came up with.  You really need to set a goal or a requirement standard before you go lens shopping.  Other words, what do you want to take pictures of? Under what conditions?

A couple things to keep in mind, one is, weather-proof is a somewhat misleading term.  Neither the 7D2 nor the lens is water-proof !  Splash proof is a better term. Secondly DSLR's like the 7D2, do need some consideration when you are in colder weather.  Maybe 30 degrees and below.  Batteries don't last nearly as long.

My suggestion as a pretty good starting point is the 7D Mk II and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This lens is not a whole lot better than the standard kit lens but it offers a fixed f2.8 aperture which is a big plus. No EF-S lens is really weather-proof but this one has some attempts at it.  Never-the-less this would be a great starter combo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements