cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 4 Me

Ohaganrh
Contributor

Hello all!

I have been a point and shoot guy for years(stop rolling your eyes 🙂 ), however I now want more out of my photography, more versatility and capabilities.  I'm struggling big time in deciding which DSLR to get, not even completely settled on Canon yet (don't hate me). I'm looking for some insight and help deciding which is best for me coming in fresh with no brand commitment, no prior model commitment, it's all going to be new and equally confusing at first.  Clean slate, where do I start?? 

Here is some insight into my needs:

- Travel.  I travel  an average amount and like to document everything.  The compactness of the P+S is nice but they're just so delicate and limited. I just want more capabilities and mainly lens options.  I looked into mirrorless some but think I'm more DSLR suited. Variety in subject makes DSLR attractive, close up, far away, landscape, sports...can do it all with good quality. The mirrorless still feel kind of 'tinny' to me compared to DSLR.

- Main point for me is long exposure/low light performance.  I'm very into astronomy, and someday would like to transition to astrophotography so would like the camera to be able to grow into that role a few years from now.  I just don't know what matters and how much here.  High ISO?  ISO noise?  Pixel and sensor size?  How important are bigger numbers in these?  Pixel-peeper.com seems like most people rarely surpass 1600 ISO to do night sky star shots.  For the time being I want to be able to take nice clear shots of the night sky(without a scope) with little noise.   Can't afford the 60Da, figured I'd get out ahead of that one. 

-Video:  I only really use this for travel, once in awhile I'll shoot a quick clip of something extra interesting, but not a huge concern, don't need a high end video orirented machine.  I do however feel like the vari-angle screen would be handy in shooting stills too, not a neccessity.  Those of you who have used both could be more helpful on this?

- Budget.  I can't afford a professional FF camera which I'm sure would be best for night sky shots.  I want to be under $1000 with a basic lens, and preferably well below unless an option really stands out above the cheaper options.

Also based on what I've described, recommendations in lenses would be greatly appreciated.  Again, on a budget and for awhile the kit lens will have to do for me.  seems like I'd want a telephoto with IS, the nifty fifty, and a wide angle for landscape.  Any suggestions/ input?

Here is what I've been looking at:

Canon 60d, Canon 7D used, Canon T3i/T4i, Nikon D5200, Pentax K50, Sony A65.  The K50 looked great on paper but I read over and over to get into one of the 'ecosystems' of Canon or Nikon.  Not to mention every site I've checked says Canon over Nikon for astrophotography.  Can anyone back that up?

Hope you guys can help because I am stumped!  I wish the choices were much more clean cut and obvious.  I'm constantly doing the, 'well for another $200.....' dance.  Where do you draw the line? If canon had greater pixel/sensor size and better noise handling (Nikon D5200) it'd be an easy choice of Canon.  Then again, I don't understand how important that really is when it looks glaringly better on paper.  Thanks in advance!

Rory

24 REPLIES 24

Just a note to let you know I'm enjoying the AP info even though I don't have any specific interest in it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs,

Thanks for the input.  The Nikon is dropping lower and lower, primarily due to not much separation spec-wise from T4i, and also I can get a refrub T4i from Adorama for $580 with the kit lens, as opposed to the cheapest D5200 I've found yet at $800 with the kit lens.  An extra $220, better be something substantial to account for that.  Thanks again!

Thanks Tim!

I had actually come across Gary Hornis' website previously, which is where I found most of my information on IRF removal. Once I have a decent scope/mount set up I think I will do just that, buy a used older model, remove the IRF, etc.  But fo rnow I think I'll keep it all simple and just learn fundamentals with a DSLR and go from there.  Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything and would regret the decision I make as to which body to start off with.  In the same sense, starting with a T4i, and then maybe a few years down the road I inevitably upgrade to a FF or better crop, I can then use my refurb T4i for AP on a scope, removing the IRF and so on.  Seems like a reasonable idea.....

I think it's mainly important to me to hold true to two main things right now:  Acknowledgment that I am a DSLR noob, and my budget.  It's so easy in the DSLR realm to find yourself hundreds of dollars beyond your initial budget.  $100 here for this spec, $100 there for that feature..... Before you know it you're set to buy a $3k 5DIII when you can only afford $800. 

I believe I'm going to go with the T4i.  Initially it was a closer race between T4i and D5200, until I realized my flub with the prices.  I originally thought I could snag a D5200 for $680 for a refurb with kit lens.  I was wrong...I'm still somewhat considering the Sony a58 because of price mainly, but just unsure of it's capaibilities and any unknown shortcomings of the sLT in low light. 

I'm going to continue to research some and poke around with questions, and trying to wait for Black Friday in case I can get lucky and find a steal on any of my options.  But for the time being, the T4i seems to be the best choice for me.  Though I'm pretty sure I'll be dreaming of Full Frames for the rest of the month.  Thanks again!

Rory

One warning, the refurbs on Canon USA sometimes do not last long. And you never know if they will ever show up again.

The T4i didn't see a very long life. Just saying...............

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

One warning, the refurbs on Canon USA sometimes do not last long. And you never know if they will ever show up again.

The T4i didn't see a very long life. Just saying...............

It could have something to do with them trying to sell an "updated" model, with an upgraded features list that looks like this:

• Embossed Dial
Announcements