cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

Use what works.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Ok Biggs, I'll let you know.

Afternoon Obiwan.  I don't remember if it was you or Bob that told me how to make a split screen in DPP.  I've searched over all the posts you guys replied to and could'nt find that post in my saved folder.  I'm going through the manual for DPP and can't find it there. Can you tell me again how to do a split screen and save.   I will make sure I tab this reply this time so I can readily find it again if needed.

@jazzman1 wrote:

Afternoon Obiwan.  I don't remember if it was you or Bob that told me how to make a split screen in DPP.  I've searched over all the posts you guys replied to and could'nt find that post in my saved folder.  I'm going through the manual for DPP and can't find it there. Can you tell me again how to do a split screen and save.   I will make sure I tab this reply this time so I can readily find it again if needed.

I don't remember that topic coming up as such. The only thing I can readily think of that involves a split screen is the "Before/After Comparison" that lets you compare the current edited state of an image with the last saved state. You can see that for an open image by right-clicking the image and selecting "Before/After Comparison" from the menu. It also appears on the "View" menu (possibly the "Preview" menu in Version 4).

But maybe what you're remembering is the fact that you can create a "recipe" file that incorporates all the changes made to an image. You can save the recipe file and re-use it later on the same image or a different image. In Version 3 the three recipe commands are in the "Edit" menu; I think they're in the same place in Version 4, but I'm not certain. If you start using recipe files, note that in V3 the recipe doesn't include crops that you've made to the image; in V4 I'm pretty sure it does. (Cropping is better integrated into the general editing of an image in V4 than it is in V3.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks Bob.  I feel like a dunce.  After I sent that post I figured out how to do it.  I found it trial and error.  But I still have not got DPP down pat just yet but I am learning.  I did do this when you told me the 1st time but I forgot...just that quick.  It's as you said, I'm looking back at my 1st edits and can see how sorry they were.  And that's only after a short time.  I can really see as you said when I get good at this I will really want to go back over my earlier edits.  I'm struggling now trying to figure out how to do use all the features and save all my edits before I batch process them all to Jpg.  I'm doing each pic one at a time and it's really time consuming.  I downloaded the DPP manual and will try to figure how how to follow the directions.  I can tell you, even with the manual It's not easy for me to follow and learn very quickly.  But I will get it.  I'll struggle for a time but I'm determined.  I'll mark this reply in my saved folder so I can come back to it as needed.  Thanks much Bob, you're a life saver.

My version of DPP is 3.14.48.1.  I don't know if this is the current version so I will check.  If there is a newer version I will download and install it.

@jazzman1 wrote:

My version of DPP is 3.14.48.1.  I don't know if this is the current version so I will check.  If there is a newer version I will download and install it.

3.14.48.1 is the most recent release of Version 3. It's a bit simpler than Version 4 and will work on the RAW files of any Canon DSLR. Version 4 is a bit more feature-rich, is a lot buggier, has a much more impenetrable user interface, and works only on the RAW files of Canon's fairly high-end cameras. Stick with the version you have for at least the time being.

Bob

Lol Lol Lol.  I was coming to tell you the same thing. 

It's only available on Canon FF Camera's at the moment.  It's a rumor that it will be available for all Canon Camera's sometime in the near future.  And there's another rumor that there is some kind of workaround that will make it compatible on the other camera's now...but I don't think I will chance that.  I'll wait as you say for any future offical version that Canon will put out.

@jazzman1 wrote:

It's only available on Canon FF Camera's at the moment.  It's a rumor that it will be available for all Canon Camera's sometime in the near future.  And there's another rumor that there is some kind of workaround that will make it compatible on the other camera's now...but I don't think I will chance that.  I'll wait as you say for any future offical version that Canon will put out.

V4 is no longer restricted to FF. The latest release works on my 7D's and on several other APS-C cameras (although not on my 50D or my wife's T2i).

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

V4 is no longer restricted to FF. The latest release works on my 7D's and on several other APS-C cameras (although not on my 50D or my wife's T2i).

In DPP is "palette tool" best for edits or are other some of the other options better????    What's the easiest, or better process to use???. 

Announcements