cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

I have seen some of these Lens straps, I've seen my Photo Club members wearing one of these.  Do your lens hang loose when using this, or do you hold your lens close to your body some way.  As I said, I have a sling like this for my camera but have'nt used it much.  It hooks to my Camera into the tripod mount and then I can't use my Tripod.  If I take off the sling strap to put my Camera on the Tripod, I have to re-attach my neck strap and that becomes a headache.  Have you come up with any better solution to using your sling strap???   I have a habit I developed early on, to never handle my Camera without having my neck strap attached to my camera, and around my neck.

I was thinking with all the good info and illistrations on this thread, it'll be good reading for any newbie seeking knowledge and trying to learn.

I think you read too many reviews to try and make a dicission.  On those reviews some prople like a lens. Some people don't. Right?  Why?  Its the same lens.  You have a mistaken idea f-ratio is a judge of sharpness.  It isn't.  At least it is not the sole spec.

All lenses are a sum of their parts.  A totality of their specs.  No lens is judged by just one.  Or, I should say, it shouldn't.  I don't trust many reviews unless I know the reviewer.  One huge reason I started on my quest to know for myself.  The big problem with this approch, or any reviewer for that matter, is "sample size".  Most if not all, including me, only see one or possibly two samples.  Not nearly enough to draw any meaningful conclusion.

What I mean is you buy the lens that works for you.  You don't buy the lens that some lame brain reviewer said to or not to.  Of course you can glean some pertinent facts from reviewers if you read carefully and notice a trend.  That increases the sample size at least.

EB

If you want my take and conclusion the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, (which you sent back) is the 'Best Buy' in the Canon line.  If you consider all you get and price.  The 'Best Buy' in a Canon pro level "L" lens is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.  Now this is just my thoughts.  Others may not agree and we all now they are wrong! Smiley Very Happy

On your Black Rapid, I don't usually use it and a tripod at the same time.  I susppose there are situations where you would but I see it as a either, or.

EB

Morning,

No I don't judge sharpness solely by a lens aperture, at least I don't now.  I give points more on quality of the lens as in EF-S, EF, and L's.  I know the aperture is only a measure of light a lens can process, which in turn I think can effect sharpness in certain situations.  But I could be wrong here.   Far as reviews I agree with you.  I noticed from the beginning when I started reading them, the reviews are all over the board for most lens.  That has always been a big puzzle to me....how can the same lens be seen as good by some and so very bad by so many others.  I'm beginning to believe it has more to do with the experience and knowledge of the user....how much they know, understand testing lens persay, and how they use a lens.   What is the yardstick they're judging a particular lens by.  Most don't have yours, Bob's, or other qualified guys, knowledge and experience, with a wide range and quality of lenses.  I have also considered that quality control at the manufactuer end could be a part of it.  Some lenses may not completely meet the specs through a whole manufacturer assembly run.  It may pass inspection of the tolerances the inspector measured for, but may still be a little off in some way from some of the others in the run, I dunno.  I would love to personally test a lens myself before I buy, but I know no way to do that in a practical way.  I can only conclude that lens manufacturing is not yet a perfect process, as far as the physical production part of it.   That may be 1 reason for so many different findings from so many user's.

One thing I notice (with myself) is that on the surface of checking out a lens it's not quite so obvious to tell the quality of the sharpness of one lens from some to others.  Case in point, when I 1st got my EF 25-105mm L.   the difference between it's sharpness and quality, and my EF-S 18-200mm, seemed a little better (the 24-105mm), but not so great.  But I was comparing pics from different ranges...not at the same range.  The pics were not of the very same scene, or same lighting.  Only after close inspection of my pics of simular scenes and lighting did I begin to see more a difference.  I began to notice better color saturation and sharpness with the 24-105mm.  More detail and clarity.  Then I began to notice the quality of the lens, and the smoothness of it's controls and movement, better auto focus, etc.  I began noticing the better detail in it's build.  Gradaully I saw the overall better quality and sharpness of my 24-105mm over a day or so.   But, I had diect comparison between it and my 18-200mm, I had both in my hand, for A-B comparison.  Point I'm making is, I took time and care for a acurite comparison.   I have'nt read very many user reviews where they took care of a fair test of the lens. 

I tended to give more credence to a reviewer that says most of his lens are L's and he does Pro to simi pro work,or serious photography, than a average joe whose stepping up from a kit lens with not much photo experience.  But I don't take those revews anymore for the gosple.  I'm at the point to just test myself.  I may have to buy, test, and send it back if I don't like it.

On the EF 28-135mm I agree with you, no argument here.  I sent it back because I felt the 24-105 just about covered the same range (just a tad shorter), why would I use it having my 24-105.  Anyhow that's my reasoning.  Had I not got the 24-105 I would have kept it.  It was a great "best buy" at the price I got it for.  I plan to get the EF 70-200mm L, so I will have both ranges covered.  If I had it like you, and could afford to have it around just because, I would have kept it. 

I've come to the same conclusion about the sling strap...either or.  I'll use it on a shooting outting when I'm not taking my tripod or monopod. 

I may be alittle over causous, but I put my camera in it's holster carrying case when I'm not taking a shot at the park.  I don't even set it out in the open on the table at the park, I put it in the bag between shots.  Am I being paranoid????   There is alot of pollen in the air here in the South, humitity and moisure by the water, and stuff falls out the tree too, especially at the park (leaves, sap, etc).  That's why my concern about changing lens here in my area.

While we're on the subject of lenses, I think my EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll that came with my Rebel T3i is a decent lens for what it is.  It's main drawback for me is it does'nt have IS, or STM nor USM.  But otherwise the optics are not that bad....to me.  I get decent quality shots with it, not tack sharp, but acceptable.   Nowhere near as bad as most revews I've read about it.  It is a cheap build, all plastic, but it at least has a metal seat.   I would like a better quality of this range lens, was looking at the EF 70-300mm f/4-4.5 IS USM, till I can get the 70-200mm IS L.  Don't know if the sharpness and optics would be any better than my 75-300mm lll, than on the 70-300mm IS USM....the reviews on this lens is all over the charts also.  I can get a 70-200mm L for about the same price, but it lacks IS.  I'm not going to compromise here, I'll hold out for the 70-200mm IS L.

My 75-300mm kit lens has decent optics to me.  And the only benefit I may get in trading up is better build and quality.  Of coarse I'll also get IS and USM and that's the main attraction for me.  But just how much better sharpness I won't know till I test one.

How well would a 1.4 or 1.2 teleconverter work on the EF 70-200mm IS USM f/4L Lens.  I think I read they work better on Primes than Zooms.  If the performance is not good, I may look into a EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Prime.  In this case a EF 70-300mm f/4-4.5 IS USM, with the 70-300mm Prime lens and teleconverters, may be a better combination.   Maybe not just asking, this combination is more cost efficient.

Correction:

I meant EF 300mm L Prime.......not 70-300mm L Prime.

WOW, I don't know if I can cover al that but here is my take on some of it.

If you get the 70-200mm f4, don't get a tele extender.  It won't work.  Thereis no such thing as a 1.2 converter?

Some body is going to tell you an extender will work but it is so poor, I consider it a no-go.

You really need to get over the sharpness hang-up.  It is a spec but it is just one spec.   It is no hard to make a sharp lens. It is difficult to make a good lens that meets all the criteria.  Not simply sharpness.  There is CA. Barrel and pincushion distortion.  All types and kinds of optical aberration.  The list is long.  

EB

I was trying to hold back and not burst your bubble but the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll is not a very good lens.  I don't care how many letters it has after its name.

" t's main drawback for me is it does'nt have IS, or STM nor USM."

Actually that is not its "main drawback".  It is a lens that was made to satisify its market nitche for low cost.  If that is your criteria than you are right it is a good lens.

"And the only benefit I may get in trading up is better build and quality."

I am guessing, at this point, the only solution for you is experience.  You just need more experience.  Maybe that statement is true. Who am I to say.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements