cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

BTW, I might mention, the required adjustment for the jpg underexposure was maxed out.  The RAW still has room to go, however.

EB

I follow what you've said, I've looked at your pics, raw and jpeg.  But still don't understand.  Looking at the 2 examples, I'm not seeing what you say I'm suppose to.  You say look in the dark areas......????????????

"You say look in the dark areas......?"

Actually you can see the difference everywhere.  It is just far easier to see how a jpg breaks down  in the "shadows".  Especially when you need severe editing.  Like three stops. Smiley Surprised

If you just intend to shoot snapshots, than I will concede you have little reason to change to RAW.  However, RAW is so simple anymore, it is truly a waste if you don't.

You bought a top of the mark DSLR and a top of the mark "L" lens.  Better than anyone you will likely encounter on a regular basis.  But you want to hamper all that goodness by using jpg?  Smiley Frustrated

Actually, Kareem, you are not very different than most people I meet or who have attended my class.  They stick with jpg and are quite happy.  But they get the same reasoning that I just gave you.  The ultimate decission is yours and what you are confortable with.  You are not wrong to use jpg and like I say, it does depend on your requirments.

EB

Biggs, Biggs, have you not read my previous posts??????  In a post to the other thread I said I'm now doing all my pics in RAW!!!!!   And I also said I would use DPP only untill I can get Lightroom.  You sound as if I'm resisting your suggestions...I'm not.

My instructor today in class, "photography 100, told me the same thing you have about LR.  In fact later this year they're doing a class just on LR, as they do a few times a year.  I learned so much today about my camera and using it.  Now I know how to use most of it's features.  I also learned about using P and M mode.  I did'nt retain all the details they taught today, but I did comprehend the basics of using P and M mode.  I understand it alot, of how one makes M setting and why.  I also know how to check my M setting before I snap a pic to see if I have my exposure correct for my shot.  I learned about aperture, ISO, and shutter speed settings and why and when to use them.  It helps so much to have hands on ones camera when taking instructions and the help of the instructor to answer questions and show you when and where you went wrong.  I will be able to understand and follow you guys instruction better now.  Biggs you have to stop assuming any delay on my part, of taking a suggestion, is from my resistance to progress.

Biggs, no offense, but I do agree with Bob as to what he said about inches vs. pixels in DPP.  In fact, using the exact method Bob described with the pexels, is how I figured out how to make the proper settings in DPP to post pics here on this site.  After you change the data in the box, inch measurement disappears, and you only see measurements in pexels.  Maybe your way is best for you, but I found the correct pic size using pixels, and think as Bob said .......one should forget about inches in DPP and just use pixels.  Of course the 950 size max I determined I would use, is only for uploading pics to this site.  One can make them big as one wants I suppose for other uses.  In that instance maybe inches would work, I dunno.

@jazzman1 wrote:

Biggs, Biggs, have you not read my previous posts??????  In a post to the other thread I said I'm now doing all my pics in RAW!!!!!   And I also said I would use DPP only untill I can get Lightroom.  You sound as if I'm resisting your suggestions...I'm not.

My instructor today in class, "photography 100, told me the same thing you have about LR.  In fact later this year they're doing a class just on LR, as they do a few times a year.  I learned so much today about my camera and using it.  Now I know how to use most of it's features.  I also learned about using P and M mode.  I did'nt retain all the details they taught today, but I did comprehend the basics of using P and M mode.  I understand it alot, of how one makes M setting and why.  I also know how to check my M setting before I snap a pic to see if I have my exposure correct for my shot.  I learned about aperture, ISO, and shutter speed settings and why and when to use them.  It helps so much to have hands on ones camera when taking instructions and the help of the instructor to answer questions and show you when and where you went wrong.  I will be able to understand and follow you guys instruction better now.  Biggs you have to stop assuming any delay on my part, of taking a suggestion, is from my resistance to progress.

Biggs, no offense, but I do agree with Bob as to what he said about inches vs. pixels in DPP.  In fact, using the exact method Bob described with the pexels, is how I figured out how to make the proper settings in DPP to post pics here on this site.  After you change the data in the box, inch measurement disappears, and you only see measurements in pexels.  Maybe your way is best for you, but I found the correct pic size using pixels, and think as Bob said .......one should forget about inches in DPP and just use pixels.  Of course the 950 size max I determined I would use, is only for uploading pics to this site.  One can make them big as one wants I suppose for other uses.  In that instance maybe inches would work, I dunno.

Inches work best when inches are the ultimate objective. Printers, for example, take their input in pixels, but their output is usually understood and measured in inches. So when the desired result is a print, it may be easier to set your pixels per inch to the resolution of the target printer and do your planning in inches. But when your objective is to maintain as much resolution as possible while conforming to a file size restriction, it can be easier to work in pixels. The point is that neither way of thinking is right and the other wrong; you get to choose which works in different situations.

Similarly, there's no perfect photo editor, and the choice among them depends on your particular situation. DPP, for example, is especially good when you're switching around among different computers, because all of the editing data can be carried along in a copy of the original RAW file. Lightroom, OTOH, maintains a database of subjects and keywords that can be vital if you have a very large number of pictures and need to be able to quickly identify those that are related in some way. Photoshop excels by allowing you to manipulate large picture elements like figures, backgrounds, etc. Depending on the type of photography you do, you may never need that capability; but if you do, only PS and possibly a few other high-end editors will suffice.

Please be clear on one thing if you're not already: Ernie and I aren't arguing to get you to do things his way or mine. We're just telling you what works for us, in the hope that you'll find enough of it useful that it can help you become a better photographer. And it's important for you to realize that Ernie has had teaching experience while I haven't, and that while I'm actually a bit older than he is, his involvement in the game has been a lot more continuous and intensive than mine has. And you're absolutely doing the right thing by taking the hands-on class. You're obviously paying attention; and if you follow it up with self-directed practice, it can do you a lot of good.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey Bob good to hear from you so soon.  !st off let me say for the record I don't think you and especially Biggs are trying to get me to do things you guys way.  Biggs has said many times he only makes suggestions and the choice to follow it or not is purely mine or whoever you guys tell it to.  I know that.  What I was saying is sometimes I feel that Biggs thinks I'm dragging my feet to move forward out of stubborn resistance.  That I have'nt done.  I have had valid reasons, I think, for not making a decision to move when asked.  I did'nt at 1st want to shoot in RAW because the files they made were too big, and problematic for me to do much with.  I did'nt know at 1st I could use DPP to process RAW to Jpeg, nor did I even know how to use DPP.  I did'nt get PSE 13, nor LR because I don't have the funds to spare right now.  I bought new lens not because I was jumping the gun and making bad decisions, it was because of circumstances that arose and realisinng I could save alot of money on deals, getting lens and gear now that I would buy soon anyway....and probably at the regular price.  All I ask is you and biggs give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm thinking things through and see some things I do as in my own best interest at the time.  I feel that my judgement is questioned at times merely because I'm a newbie that's all.  And maybe because of past experience with other newbie's.  Sometimes you guys time frame for me to move on something is out of my comfort zone at the time.  iI's not that I won't do it, but just let me move at my own pace.  Believe me, If I decide not to do a thing, I will say that in no uncertain terms.

I repect Biggs and your knowledge of what you say, no problem with that. 

Bob it's hard to believe you're older than Biggs and me.  Your pic looks so much younger.  My hat off to you, a power greater than yourself is watching over you my friend.  Hope you think him much.  Anyhow I thank you and Biggs for all your help, and you guys have been a tremdous aid in my learning.  I only have a 3 class course in photography 100, 101, and 102.  I hope I have you guys for far longer than that.  The things I've learned here since I came, helped me understand the things taught today.  And no I don't think you're trying to push your ideas on me, I know you're only trying to help.   Biggs just have had to deal with so many stubborn and beligerent students I think, that he's become gunshy and nervous and thinks everyone wants to run LOL.

@jazzman1 wrote:

Bob it's hard to believe you're older than Biggs and me.  Your pic looks so much younger.

Well, I'm not trying to deceive anybody, so I went back and looked it up. The picture was taken (by a colleague at work) six years ago, when I was 71. I guess I should update it one of these days.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob you don't look 71 in that pic.  And you say you're now 6 yrs older man that's hard to believe !!!!   Man, your mind is still sharp as a tack and your memory seems to still be serving you well.  I do believe you Bob, it's just i never would have guessed had you not said.  You and Biggs seem to have lived a charmed life my friend, and you're both having the time of your life doing what you both love.  Must be nice, really really nice.  Keep up the good work, I'll be all ears.  Biggs and yourself have really been a big help and you guys still have much to teach and show me.

BTW....Are you still working??????

Announcements