cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

Smiley Very Happy

Gentlemen, gentlemen, you obiviously do not understand HDR ? Smiley Frustrated

High-dynamic-range imaging (or HDR) is a set of techniques used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of lumunosity than is possible with standard digital imaging or photographic techniques.

HDR is a process where you take 3 or 5 or more photos. Each with a slightly different exposure setting.  Than you use software to stack and align the multiple photos into a single.  The new version of LR6 and DPP4 can do this.  It is similar to a stacking process that astrophotographers use to get the glorious shots of the planets and stars and galaxies, etc.  Those pictures are impossibile with out stacking.

A normal photograph had a DR of around four but an HDR image can exceed 10 or 11 or even more.

The tone mapping actually removes most of the contrast and very little sharpening is done.  In fact I added none.  Expand your horizons and check out HDR, guys!

EB

Two things.  All three of these were taken during a storm.  I hope that shows?  Second I wanted to show the flatness of the farms so is is displayed in a longer than taller format.

Each one was three shots.  One with a 1-stop under exposire, one dead on, and the last with a 1-stop over exposure.

EB

Demo.

image-0001.jpg

Of course like it or not, it is up to you.  I think they are great and a little something different.  Plus they offer another challenge.  I am doing a new book titled "All you have to do is look.......and HDR Study."  Sould be here by the 1sr of June.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

High-dynamic-range imaging (or HDR) is a set of techniques used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of lumunosity than is possible with standard digital imaging or photographic techniques.

HDR is a process where you take 3 or 5 or more photos. Each with a slightly different exposure setting.  Than you use software to stack and align the multiple photos into a single.  The new version of LR6 and DPP4 can do this.  It is similar to a stacking process that astrophotographers use to get the glorious shots of the planets and stars and galaxies, etc.  Those pictures are impossibile with out stacking.

A normal photograph had a DR of around four but an HDR image can exceed 10 or 11 or even more.

The tone mapping actually removes most of the contrast and very little sharpening is done.  In fact I added none.  Expand your horizons and check out HDR, guys!

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes sense the way you explain it and as I said they're nice pics on their own merit.  It's just not my cup of tea for pics.  I have heard of this process but don't know much about it.  In fact my Canon SX60 65X Zoom Bridge Camera has a "HDR Mode".  But I think it's a movie (video) mode.   I have'nt explored it yet but I will check it out.  Biggs I gotta give you your game though as I said this is not my cup of tea for my pics.  You do know your stuff.   You do have much talent my friend and am looking forward to your new book.  Keep up the good work and keep doing your thing whether others (including me) don't like it.   Maybe in time I may change my mind but I really don't believe we have to resort to this to highlight and enjoy our work with our pics.  I do support and encourage you if this is what you like.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Two things.  All three of these were taken during a storm.  I hope that shows?  Second I wanted to show the flatness of the farms so is is displayed in a longer than taller format.

Each one was three shots.  One with a 1-stop under exposire, one dead on, and the last with a 1-stop over exposure.

No, it's not ovious to me about the storm, but I do see what you mean.  You've lost me on the tecnical stuff.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Demo.

image-0001.jpg

Of course like it or not, it is up to you.  I think they are great and a little something different.  Plus they offer another challenge.  I am doing a new book titled "All you have to do is look.......and HDR Study."  Sould be here by the 1sr of June.

Thumbs up and keep up the good work.  You do know your stuff my friend.  Looking forward to your new books.

P.S.............I ordered the HP 23" 1080P Monitor at BB.  Should be here next week sometime.  From all customer reviews (I know you don't like reviews)  it's a knockout Monitor., most give it 5 stars.    I like ithat t has 175 degree viewing angle.  That should help alot.  All my Monitors that I have now, have to be viewed from directly in front of the sceen or it does'nt look very good at all.  They all have a very narrow viewing angle.

jazzman1 wrote: 

P.S.............I ordered the HP 23" 1080P Monitor at BB.  Should be here next week sometime.  From all customer reviews (I know you don't like reviews)  it's a knockout Monitor., most give it 5 stars.    I like ithat t has 175 degree viewing angle.  That should help alot.  All my Monitors that I have now, have to be viewed from directly in front of the sceen or it does'nt look very good at all.  They all have a very narrow viewing angle.

The viewing angle matters not a bit for photo editing. It matters only if more than one person is viewing the monitor at the same time.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I can't presume to speak for the Jazz Man; but as it happens, I do understand HDR. The explanation (that the pictures had undergone the HDR treatment) makes perfect sense, but it doesn't change how they look. OTOH, viewing them does help one understand why HDR often gets a bad rap for the unnatural look it can impart.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against unnatural-looking pictures per se. One of the five pictures that hang on my office wall at work is a nondescript sunset in which I squashed the histogram to about 10% of its original range. I liked the result, and the original had been headed for the bit bucket, so I kept it. But if a manipulated sunset can become a pleasantly abstract splash of color (probably a fluke anyway), even a well done HDR sequence can come out looking like a paint-by-numbers creation.

I'd be remiss if I didn't commend you for taking those pictures in a rainstorm. I've always been a strong believer in playing the cards you're dealt and not letting bad weather stand in the way of a potentially good shoot.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

jazzman1 wrote: 

The viewing angle matters not a bit for photo editing. It matters only if more than one person is viewing the monitor at the same time.

Ahhh Bob hate to hear that.  I was hoping for a new insight into my pics and moving forward.  Oh well, I suppose I can take it back for a refund if it does'nt workout.

"I ordered the HP 23" 1080P Monitor at BB"

It isn't big enough but whatever.  It's not me.  The viewing angle doesn't really matter unless you are watching a movie or baseball game.

You let the reviewers make the dicission for you...........again.  Smiley Frustrated

EB
Announcements