cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

"On a Monitor, I'm going for a HP 23" 1080P mod # 23cw.  What do you think????"

I have no opinion since I never used one or even remember seeing one.  I can't give a yay or nay on it.  When I can't give a personal review, I don't.  I generally don't trust any of those reviews you read.  As I stated the best you can draw is a general, loose, consensus from them.  Unless, of course, I know the person doing the review.

However, as I salo stated, I would get the very biggest monitor possible.  For me right now, that is two 27" monitors.  Currently, I am in the process of considering the new Microsoft 32" curved monitor. I think I could work with just one with it. Pretty impressive.  But for you get the biggest you can.  You won't regret it.

"LR 5 or 6???    6 is newest, reading mixed reviews.   Some think 5 better."

There you go, again, believing the reviews are gospel.  Without doubt get LR6, geeze.  It requires a 64-bit machine, you know?

Also buy it.  Don't do the cloud, BS Smiley Sad, that Adobe pushes.

That said, I am not so sure you are going to benefit from LR 5 or 6.  After the latest go round with you.  Get the monitor (hopefully a 27") up and running first.  If you are not able to see the vast array of adjustments and/or corrections, stay with the free DPP.  There is a newer version 4 of DPP out.   Its pretty nice especially for free.  I just d/l the latest DPP4, as is my routine, and am toying with it.  Bob from Boston, Smiley Wink would be proud and grinning ear to ear.  Canon is getting there. Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have no opinion since I never used one or even remember seeing one.  I can't give a yay or nay on it.  When I can't give a personal review, I don't.  I generally don't trust any of those reviews you read.  As I stated the best you can draw is a general, loose, consensus from them.  Unless, of course, I know the person doing the review.

However, as I salo stated, I would get the very biggest monitor possible.  For me right now, that is two 27" monitors.  Currently, I am in the process of considering the new Microsoft 32" curved monitor. I think I could work with just one with it. Pretty impressive.  But for you get the biggest you can.  You won't regret it.

I'd be cautious about giving or following that advice too rigorously. Intelligent monitor selection involves consideration of both size and resolution. If, for example, you're considering a 23" monitor of a given number of pixels, it would be silly to buy a 27" monitor with the same number of pixels unless you were planning to view it from a greater distance. But a 27" monitor with the same pixel density (measured in pixels per square inch or per inch along either the x or the y axis) is apt to be very expensive. So my advice is to buy a monitor of the highest resolution that (a) you can afford and (b) your eyesight is good enough to resolve at a normal viewing distance. The size of the monitor is really just a side effect of those two objectives.

There are other selection criteria too, of course: color fidelity, image stability, adjustibility, persistence, flicker rates, etc., etc., some of which are merely matters of personal preference.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There you go, again, believing the reviews are gospel.  Without doubt get LR6, geeze.  It requires a 64-bit machine, you know?

That said, I am not so sure you are going to benefit from LR 5 or 6.  After the latest go round with you.  Get the monitor (hopefully a 27") up and running first.  If you are not able to see the vast array of adjustments and/or corrections, stay with the free DPP.  There is a newer version 4 of DPP out.   Its pretty nice especially for free.  I just d/l the latest DPP4, as is my routine, and am toying with it.  Bob from Boston, Smiley Wink would be proud and grinning ear to ear.  Canon is getting there. Smiley Happy

I'll get the monitor next week.  I have to order it, BB does'nt have it in stock.  It's 1080P.   They have 4000 K (ultra HD)out now but cost much as my lens.   What do you mean..."vast array of adjustments and corrections???????????????"       Last time I checked DPP 4 won't work with my 60D, mostly only with full frame bodies.  It works with Bob's bodies, he has FF. 

I don't take reviews for the gosple, I only use them as info,  I told you that.  Obiwan, you don't listen good to what I say at times.  You seem to sometimes hear what you want to hear.   I think many times you really don't get a clear picture of things I say.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Me? Gloat? Surely you jest!

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I'd be cautious about giving or following that advice too rigorously. Intelligent monitor selection involves consideration of both size and resolution. If, for example, you're considering a 23" monitor of a given number of pixels, it would be silly to buy a 27" monitor with the same number of pixels unless you were planning to view it from a greater distance. But a 27" monitor with the same pixel density (measured in pixels per square inch or per inch along either the x or the y axis) is apt to be very expensive. So my advice is to buy a monitor of the highest resolution that (a) you can afford and (b) your eyesight is good enough to resolve at a normal viewing distance. The size of the monitor is really just a side effect of those two objectives.

There are other selection criteria too, of course: color fidelity, image stability, adjustibility, persistence, flicker rates, etc., etc., some of which are merely matters of personal preference.

Thanks Bob, I understand.  Here's a link to checkout:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-jet-black-natural-silver/3795033.p?id=...

@jazzman1 wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Again, one more time....I don't take reviews for the gosple.  I only mentioned some say they have problems with LR6.  And yes, it reqiures 64bit processor, I know that.   I never buy anything cloud, nor buy download, if I can help it.  I always prefer a CD/DVD in hand.  I just don't like to pay for software I don't physically own.   I don't do cloud anything if I can help it.

Shot these yesterday.   LR6, of course. Smiley Very Happy

_DSC5428_29_30HDR.jpg

_DSC5434_5_6HDR.jpg

_DSC5437_8_9HDR.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_DSC5428_29_30HDR.jpg

_DSC5434_5_6HDR.jpg

_DSC5437_8_9HDR.jpg

No offense, but these pics don't look real.  I know they are, I know you took them, but there's so much manlipilation with LR that it looks more like a painting.  If that's your intention you succeeded.  I want my pics to look like something I take with my camera.  This is the downside of Photoshop, LR, PSE, etc........... for me.   Sometimes you guys go overboard with editing your pics.  Seriously my friend I would use editing very sparringly, just slight touchups.  These pics are nice don't get me wrong, but not the look I want to go for in my pics.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_DSC5428_29_30HDR.jpg

_DSC5434_5_6HDR.jpg

_DSC5437_8_9HDR.jpg

All are too saturated for my taste, but the second one (a nondescript shot brought to life by the cloud formations) gets away with it. The first and third also manage to look a trifle oversharpened, though that's probably an illusion. The third picture is the pick of the litter for its impeccable composition; at the risk of being accused of an unforced carp, I think I'd perfect it by cropping off that last tree on the right-hand edge. All three pictures are clearly the work of someone who knows what he's doing.

Just my 2¢ worth.  Smiley Happy

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_DSC5428_29_30HDR.jpg

_DSC5434_5_6HDR.jpg

_DSC5437_8_9HDR.jpg

All are too saturated for my taste, but the second one (a nondescript shot brought to life by the cloud formations) gets away with it. The first and third also manage to look a trifle oversharpened, though that's probably an illusion. The third picture is the pick of the litter for its impeccable composition; at the risk of being accused of an unforced carp, I think I'd perfect it by cropping off that last tree on the right-hand edge. All three pictures are clearly the work of someone who knows what he's doing.

Just my 2¢ worth.  Smiley Happy

I can see most of what you point out in these pics.  All are very nice pics and if Biggs had painted them they would be marvelous.  I'm somewhat an artist so I do appriciate good art work.  I would most certainly like all three pics here if they were paintings.    But as camera photo's they're not my taste.  Too much editing malipalation for me.  where is the photographers skills, talent???   In photoshop, LR, PSE, etc!!!!!!!!!    I suppose alot of peeps just see editing software as another tool like the camera itself, but I disagree.    As pics these are not my cup of tea.

Announcements