cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

"But really, I was already aware of all those things ..."

Sometimes I am not so sure.  Sometime I think I get conflicting thoughts from you.  But as you say, real world use it all that matters.  That is the most important thing.  Not a single spec can beat that!  As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It begs the question, why spend more than is necessay on your lens if what you are doing is working?  If you don't go hog wild for top of the line "L" glass, you could have so many more lenses.  And believe me there are middle of the line lenses that are spectacular.  Especially in the sharpness area.  Most of them suffer from things that appearantly don't bother you or you are not noticing them.  Isn't there some logic here?

One reason why I was not so positive with you statement of faster lenses, from your f4 to a f2.8, is only one stop.  One stop is not a deal breaker or money maker most generally.  Now if you said I want a faster lens in the f1.4 range, yeah, that is a bigger deal.

I trhink my work here is done.  You are on the road to making your own conclusions.  The ones that are right for you. That is success in my book. Smiley Very Happy  Remember, how you intend on using/viewing your photos is important, too.  Viewing on a laptop or u/l to Facebook or any web photo sharing site, ipad, photoframe, etc does not require top notch gear.  11x14 prints and larger does require a different approch or any photo you plan to sell for instance.

I don't have top of the line monitors but I do have good monitors that suit my needs.  At Hallamark we had the best money could buy. I don't need the best money can buy and can use that money for some other goodies.  You need to judge the same for yourself.  You may not benefit all that much from LR either.  All this is just designed to start your thought process.  It is a lot cheape than buying and regretting.

I have a photo book that is titled, "All you have to do is look."  That says it all.  There are photo ops everywhere.  All you have to do is look.  Some of the photos in it are on my Facebook if you care to wander over.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"But really, I was already aware of all those things ..."

Sometimes I am not so sure.  Sometime I think I get conflicting thoughts from you.  But as you say, real world use it all that matters.  That is the most important thing.  Not a single spec can beat that!  As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It begs the question, why spend more than is necessay on your lens if what you are doing is working?  If you don't go hog wild for top of the line "L" glass, you could have so many more lenses.  And believe me there are middle of the line lenses that are spectacular.  Especially in the sharpness area.  Most of them suffer from things that appearantly don't bother you or you are not noticing them.  Isn't there some logic here?

One reason why I was not so positive with you statement of faster lenses, from your f4 to a f2.8, is only one stop.  One stop is not a deal breaker or money maker most generally.  Now if you said I want a faster lens in the f1.4 range, yeah, that is a bigger deal.

I trhink my work here is done.  You are on the road to making your own conclusions.  The ones that are right for you. That is success in my book. Smiley Very Happy  Remember, how you intend on using/viewing your photos is important, too.  Viewing on a laptop or u/l to Facebook or any web photo sharing site, ipad, photoframe, etc does not require top notch gear.  11x14 prints and larger does require a different approch or any photo you plan to sell for instance.

I don't have top of the line monitors but I do have good monitors that suit my needs.  At Hallamark we had the best money could buy. I don't need the best money can buy and can use that money for some other goodies.  You need to judge the same for yourself.  You may not benefit all that much from LR either.  All this is just designed to start your thought process.  It is a lot cheape than buying and regretting.

I have a photo book that is titled, "All you have to do is look."  That says it all.  There are photo ops everywhere.  All you have to do is look.  Some of the photos in it are on my Facebook if you care to wander over.

I understand what you're saying here.  I have'nt done anything with any of my pics other than upload them to my pc for viewing.  I have'nt blown any up, nor printed any out on photo paper.  Maybe that's why I don't see many of the distortions spoke of.   All I've done is take pics and look at them on my laptops.   Maybe this is the problem.  Maybe I need to blow a few up, print them out on photo paper and then judge what I see????      I do follow what you say here and maybe a monitor  should be my next purchase.  
I'm not home now, had to go up north to take care of some business.  Will be back by friday and will do some tests and things to try and see some of the distortions you say I should be seeing.   I do believe everything you've told me, not a problem.  But sometimes I can't see your vision or your obstervation in my own pics.   Their is a problem somewhere, and I have to find it.   I know whatever it is is on my end.   It would just be so good if I could see with my own eyes some things you say I should see.   
I agree there is no shortage of subjects to take pics of.  I just have to get out and take the pics.   I do need to venture out from where I've been going to my park scene.   I need more different challeges.  Now that I have my 70-300mmL I can start to take pics of the fishing boats and ships coming from the ocean with their catches.   And all the other ships.   There' yatch, tour boats, frighters, etc.   I also want to find lovely landscapes, mountains and valleys.    I want to catch the sunrise and sun et.  I'm going to start getting more serious shots starting next week, even if I have to venture off a ways from home.
I would love to see your stuff on facebook, but I don't do facebook....don't have an acc.  Is there anywhere else I can see your work???    Do you have a website???   I'm not much into those social websites....facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.  Not really into smart phones.  I have a dumb phone, I buy minutes, have no contract or internet for my cell.   I am tech savvy, it's my choice.  I rather spend time with my camera, computer, and other grownup toys.  Being tied to a cellphone evetywhere I go, is not my idea of fun.   I see peeps everywhere on their phone...bank, stores, movie theater, the beach, etc.  I don't want to be addicted to my cell like those people.  I don't text, and have a rule I won't talk on my phone while driving unless it's important, and then only with my bluetooth connection.  I don't do ide conversation on my cell.   I just don't ever want the day to come when my phone is glued to my face everywhere I go..
I hope you don't let me go on my own from here, I have much to learn from you still.  I've learned alot since we started and I still value your opinion and suggestions.

I agree with you here on most you say.  In fact, from here I was going to let my situation and needs dictate further lenses purchases.  Though there are a few I have on my future list, my needs and what I'm trying to achieve will more or less deside what next I'll get.   I do want good lens no matter the grade they are.  I want the ones that allow me to get the pics and resuts I want.   If you say that can be acheieved with less than L's I'm all for it.   I told you I was considering a few 3rd party lens you've spoke highly off for long range stuff later.   They are'nt L's nor even Canon.   You should understand by now I want good lens no matter the brand or grade.   I do like Canon though on the whole above all others.   But that can change if circumstances in technology changes.  Who knows who'll be top dog in a few months or years.   Who knows who will come up with a breakthrough and upset the boat of what we know today.  I'm very flexable in my thinking here.  I will go with the flow and change where the winds of change dictate.

A couple thoughts ..........

I always prefer Canon equipment.  I am pretty loyal to Canon.  Especially in the lens department.  The thing that really seperates Canon from the only other brand that even comes close or is even in the game is Nikon, is its lenses.  Nobody has Canon lenses!  Period. End of story. Not debatable.

At the moment Nikon has the best sensor made but it isn't a brand-N sensor.  It is made by Sony.  Nikon buys it from Sony.  Even from the beginning Nikon could not make a sensor. The finally realized that fact.  This caused brand-N a great loss that is just recently been improved.

However if I were to need a top of the line camera, today, right now, it would still be the EOS 1Dx and not the brand-N, highly regarded D4s.  Why, if Nikon has the best sensor?  Because of the lens line-up, that is why.

But there is a flip side to this story.  Canon does have some holes in the lens line-up.  When that becomes appearent, I look at third party lenses. This could be from the fact Canon does not make that lens.  I know it is rare but it happens.  Another is price.  Canon gets pretty costly for seemingly no reason.  Why produce the best lens in the world, if nobody can afford it?

This is a short list but I am satisfied that a very few (Sigma and Tamron) have made exceptionable strides in lens design and performance.

A few short years ago, I would never consider a third world lens.  But even I have to admit SIgma has made extreme improvements in lens IQ and quality control.  Tamron is pulling up fast but lags behind Sigma.  Avoid Tokina, still pretty much .*.*.  well you know the word.  Avoid all the rest, too, but that should go without saying. Right?  Of course, right!

Oh one more note, you can't trust all those reviews you read.  The best you can draw is a general or loose consensus.  Nothing more.  Most have no idea what they are talking about.

EB

One word about printing.  The print you get will only be as good as the printer or print service you use.  The best lens made along with the best camera will pale and fall flat if you have a crappy printer.  Or, if you use a crappy print service.  Choose wisely here!

EB

Oh one more note, you can't trust all those reviews you read.  The best you can draw is a general or loose consensus.  Nothing more.  Most have no idea what they are talking about

Got ya.   Will continue tonight when I get to my son's.  I'm going through Kentucky right now.  Stopped at Mickey D.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

One word about printing.  The print you get will only be as good as the printer or print service you use.  The best lens made along with the best camera will pale and fall flat if you have a crappy printer.  Or, if you use a crappy print service.  Choose wisely here!

I'm looking for a monitor for this weekend.  I will also bite the bullet and get LR.  My funds are in the same shape, but I just got my income tax return.   Never hurts for a little unexpected cash to show up  (grin)

Will cont tonight at my son's.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A couple thoughts ..........

I always prefer Canon equipment.  I am pretty loyal to Canon.  Especially in the lens department.  The thing that really seperates Canon from the only other brand that even comes close or is even in the game is Nikon, is its lenses.  Nobody has Canon lenses!  Period. End of story. Not debatable.

At the moment Nikon has the best sensor made but it isn't a brand-N sensor.  It is made by Sony.  Nikon buys it from Sony.  Even from the beginning Nikon could not make a sensor. The finally realized that fact.  This caused brand-N a great loss that is just recently been improved.

However if I were to need a top of the line camera, today, right now, it would still be the EOS 1Dx and not the brand-N, highly regarded D4s.  Why, if Nikon has the best sensor?  Because of the lens line-up, that is why.

But there is a flip side to this story.  Canon does have some holes in the lens line-up.  When that becomes appearent, I look at third party lenses. This could be from the fact Canon does not make that lens.  I know it is rare but it happens.  Another is price.  Canon gets pretty costly for seemingly no reason.  Why produce the best lens in the world, if nobody can afford it?

This is a short list but I am satisfied that a very few (Sigma and Tamron) have made exceptionable strides in lens design and performance.

A few short years ago, I would never consider a third world lens.  But even I have to admit SIgma has made extreme improvements in lens IQ and quality control.  Tamron is pulling up fast but lags behind Sigma.  Avoid Tokina, still pretty much .*.*.  well you know the word.  Avoid all the rest, too, but that should go without saying. Right?  Of course, right!

Oh one more note, you can't trust all those reviews you read.  The best you can draw is a general or loose consensus.  Nothing more.  Most have no idea what they are talking about.

did'nt know nikon did'nt make their sensors.  they don't make camcorders either.  Canon really does have a heads up in many areas.

The reviews I'm referring to have pics and shows the different distortions in each lens at different ranges.  I've seen many such reviews.  I suppose it's not hard to play wide and loose with pics though. 

i've noticed canon has wide holes in certain range lens.  guess they can't cover every range and aperture.  

i have seen that 3rd party 50mm and the price is nice.  i have a 50mm but it's cheap...1.8.  would 50mm be good for a closeup like the kid you posted???    If so, that would be the way to go....1.4 or 1.2???

@ebiggs1 wrote:

thanks for the heads up on that.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Sharpness", hmm that is a biggie for sure but as I say it is not the sole issue.  You need to remember almost any piece of cheap, ----, glass will become sharp as it stops down.  You don't want to consider any of the other issues a lens can have? Smiley Sad

No. 1: Lens Flare
 No. 2: Vignetting
 No. 3: Converging Verticals
 No. 4: Barrel Distortion/pin cushion
 No. 5: Lens Diffraction

No. 6: Build

No: 7: Ease of use

No. 8: etc ... and on, and on, and on ...

Have you ever looked at some of the old Civil War photos?  I mean really look at them?  They are sharp, now I mean really sharp.  Do you think we have better or worse or the same lens technology today as they had over a 150 years ago?

Sharpness is important.  It is very important but it needs to be kept in perspective and all things considered. 

I'm back home Obiwan.  Thanks for this lens discussion.  I'm taking it all in.  No I have not examined any of those old B&W photo's, but i have seen some.

You know I made a compromise in my lens purchases when I chose f/4's instead of f/2.8.   Before I got my 70-300mm L, I was looking at the 70-200mmL in 2.8 and 4.  In every review I read the 2.8 L tested better than the f/4L, but I would have still went with the f/4.  I even chose my 70-300mm L, knowing the 70-200mmL was a sharper, better rated lens.   But I felt the compromise I made was best for me.  Saying all this to show you sharpness is not absolute with me.  It is an important charactoristic of a lens that i look for but not the only thing.

On a Monitor, I'm going for a HP 23" 1080P mod # 23cw.  What do you think????

LR 5 or 6???    6 is newest, reading mixed reviews.   Some think 5 better.

Announcements