cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

As far as carrying heavy lenses, nobody likes to do that.  Not just you!  There are ways to help.  One is a shoulder strap like the Black Rapid.  I have several of them and they work well.  You are not really feeling the heavy camera/lens until you actually need it.

I even have a double strap and can carry two heavy cameras for hours with out fatigue.  These are far superior to the dreaded neck strap that cones with the camera.  Smiley Sad

831431.jpg

It attaches to the lens.  Not the camera.

EB

Thank you much Obiwan, your message is coming through loud and clear.  Bob helped me understand some things and now I see the importance you've stressed to me in it all.   It's something I will surely have to consider in my plans.   But frankly Biggs this is stuff that I won't have to deal with for awhile, if at all, and I know I've told you this more than once.  I'm prepared to do whatever I have to do at every step of the way.  And if I ever become a Pro in the future I would never tackle a job I was neither prepared for, or good enough to handle.  I know weddings come in all sizes (big to small) with many variables in shooting circumstances.  Any wise Pro worth his medal should not tackle any job he's not completely qualified for.   That's qualified in equipment as well as knowledge.  I do understand what you stress about fickle brides.   Believe me I do take it all serious and will use good common sense in all I do.  I'm absobing all you teach me and believe in your knowledge and direction.  

Thanks for the info on the gimble head.  I've read it mentioned but my understanding was a bit foggy on it.  You do seem to be well equiped for any Photo job you had to do.  Now I'm beginning to understand just why you have all the gear you have.   It did cause me to have puzzles over a few things before now.  Now alot you've told me about all the gear you have is beginning to make more sense.

Yep, Bob said alot.

BTW....I'm very surprised to hear you say you did'nt do your very own daughters wedding.  You left it to (your words) a doofus to mess it up.  Was your daughter not disappointed her very own father (who I'm sure she knows your capability with photography) would not do it???  What was your excuse????   Saying this with all due respect.

Thanks Obiwan, but I'm ahead of you here.  I have one of these myself, but not as good as this Black Rapid Brand you have.  But mine works well also (case logic) for what I carry now.  I would need one like yours for heavier gear.  Yes, it does carry the weight of the camera better than the neck strap.   I  can see the need for the other ones you mention.  I do believe in having all the acc we need with this hobby.  I have 2 batteries, 2+ extra Class 10 SD cards (besides the one in my camera)....for ea. of my cameras (I have 3),  (2)  external mics,  2 tripods, 2 monopods, several camera bags, one sling back pack, etc.   I'm collecting all the extras I need for my gear and will add what I need as I go.  I do believe in being prepared....just so you know.

Correction.  I don't have one of those yet, mine connects to my camera, where the tripod would go.. 

"BTW....I'm very surprised to hear you say you did'nt do your very own daughters wedding."

Oh my goodness!  You don't have a daughter do you?  A father walks his daughter down the asile.  And he is in quite a lot of the photos. Father-daughter dance, etc!  There is no way to be in two places or do two different things at the same time.

EB

Sorry Obiwan, I had a lapse of good sense here.  You're right ...I don't have a daughter.   I did attend my sister's wedding way way back in the day, and it was a big church one.  But that was back in the day of 35mm and I had not a thinkle of a thought about photography at that age (10 yrs old)   Heck, I think I've been to 2 or 3 weddings since then.  I have been to many more receptions after the wedding.   But guess I never paid much attention to the Photo part, least don't remember much about any Photo taking.

Biggs I really feel stupid for asking Bob that question.  My brain still must be 1/2 sleep, I have'nt had my coffee yet.  Hope I did'nt offend him, no offense was meant.  Just me asking a knucklehead question as I tend to do from time to time.  I would delete that post, but then Bob may see your response, and think I said something far worst. 

BTW...Bob, one of the reasons I had not given what you say about ...lens, light, and camera, much thought....is the many reviews of lens by user I read.  I read so many reviews that people say the very lens you say are no good indoors.. they say work well for them.  They talk of indoor events such as sports, plays, and other social gatherings.  Many of these lense are f/4 and lower grade.  Many even midgrade lens not L's.  I had'nt given the thought that these reviews are not Pro's doing Pro work, but Dad's and Soccer Mom's taking their kids pics with love.  But I did get the impression their pics came out just fine.  Did'nt dawn on me till now, that the quality of those pics probably would not be sufficient for a fickle bride at her wedding.   Or alot of others paying for those pics.    I guess I have to start scrutinizing the reviews I read....and consider the source, and what they are using the lens for.

@jazzman1 wrote:

BTW....I'm very surprised to hear you say you did'nt do your very own daughters wedding.  You left it to (your words) a doofus to mess it up.  Was your daughter not disappointed her very own father (who I'm sure she knows your capability with photography) would not do it???  What was your excuse????   Saying this with all due respect.

a)  That was 24 years ago. I wasn't an event photographer then; I wasn't even a photographer then. The digital camera had barely been invented, and I hadn't picked up my old film Nikon in years.

b)  I was the father of the bride, for God's sake! If I'd photographed the wedding instead of walking my daughter down the aisle, my wife would have had me committed. With good reason.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

LOL...LOL....LOL...You're funny.  Other than that, no offense with my question, and no further comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Announcements