Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
VIP

Re: DSLR 101

" I really do appriciate your willingness to help me toward a business but all i wanted and still want is to learn photography."

There any number of approches to a goal.  One is not buying gear twice. If you are OK with that, it makes no difference.  If you have that goal in mind but go out and buy willy-nilly you will waste money.  If you want my personal and brutaly honest opinion (don't read furtther if you don't).  You should forget the business end of the deal.  Go out get some stuff and have fun.  You will be much happier.

Now if we are back to sticking with amature gear, just get what fits you and you like.  Tripods or software or, whatever.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jazzman1 wrote:

i will continue with dpp for now, besides it's all i have to work with.

btw.....i also have picture style editor can i use it too???   does it go with dpp or are they for different purposes.  seems to have some of the same features as dpp.  i suppose dpp is the better program since no one has even mentioned pse.

A picture style is a set of biases for brightness and relative color strength that are intended to be optionally applied to certain types of scenes. Several (Portrait, Landscape, etc.) are built into DPP. The Picture Style Editor allows you to define new picture styles, but you'd have to be extremely finicky to want to bother to do that. I'd suggest you ignore the PSE. If none of the existing picture styles give you what you want for a given picture, you can always make the adjustments manually.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Super Contributor

You should forget the business end of the deal.  Go out get some stuff and have fun.  You will be much happier

That I will my friend.  I do want to stick with EF L lens.  I ilke decent gear and know that quality pieces are the better investment. 

I did want to know what level of tripods is best to get and the best brand.  I also asked what is the best process to change lens out in the elements.  Now that I only have one body, I'll have to change lens sometime.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thought you were'nt going to answer this.  Thanks for the input.  For now I see no need for Picture Style Editor.  Should I save my pics in RAW or in Jpg???  I've been saving them in Jpg.    Did'nt think about having the ability to go back to a RAW pic and edit it again.  Since RAW pics are so big I'll store them in an external drive.  I have an external drive connected to all my Pc's now, but think I should get another one deticated just for pics.  I use my externals now for storage and to make monthly Image backups after Microsoft comes out with their monthly Windows updates.  I'll probably get a 2TB USB3 drive for now and a larger one later if needed. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Yes I'll forget about the business.  Really have'nt been thinking much about that, only in the sense of gear I buy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jazzman1 wrote:

Thought you were'nt going to answer this.  Thanks for the input.  For now I see no need for Picture Style Editor.  Should I save my pics in RAW or in Jpg???  I've been saving them in Jpg.    Did'nt think about having the ability to go back to a RAW pic and edit it again.  Since RAW pics are so big I'll store them in an external drive.  I have an external drive connected to all my Pc's now, but think I should get another one deticated just for pics.  I use my externals now for storage and to make monthly Image backups after Microsoft comes out with their monthly Windows updates.  I'll probably get a 2TB USB3 drive for now and a larger one later if needed. 

Save them in RAW. As you get more experience, you'll look back at some of your older pictures and cringe at the primitive editing job you did then. Besides, you may want to make, over time, multiple JPEGs in different resolutions and/or croppings for different purposes.

When I see you referring to multiple 2TB disk drives, it tells me that you're saving too much. Learn from the bad pictures and throw them out. And when you have multiple good pictures that are duplicative, save the best ones and ditch the rest. Even if you had infinite storage, saving everything would quickly become unmanageable.

FWIW, I've never had any reason to use the Picture Style Editor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Super Contributor

i was only talking about getting 1 extra external drive dedicated just for my pics.  i already have an external drive with each pc for monthly backups.  wanted to get another one just for pics.  i don't plan on saving all my pics, i delete most from every batch now.  i took about 600 pics when i went to the zoo and only kept appox 200 pics.

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"I did want to know what level of tripods is best to get and the best brand.  I also asked what is the best process to change lens out in the elements.  Now that I only have one body, I'll have to change lens sometime."

On the best tripods, as an amatuer/hobbyists, any of the top brand will do.  You have to remember the requirements are different for the gear a professional needs as compared to hobbyists.  Get the best for you. One that fits your budget.  Is easy to carry and use.  I personally use Manfrotto for traveling and it would be a good choice.

Again the approch about things like changing a lens is different too.  I never even give it a thought.  If I am on a job and need to change the lens, it gets changed.  That is what CPS is for, if needed.  Again why the pro gear is made so tough and strong.

Sometimes the only difference between pro and consumer lenses is build.  Not IQ.

Amatuers and advanced amatuers simply don't put the stuuf to the same abuse as we do.  And, I might say, at this stage of my life and career, me too.

For the last couple years, when I get the oppertunity to do a shoot, I have found myself, taking one body.  Possibly two.  And two, possibly three (not often), lenses.  One reason I am selling off so much stuff.  I simply will never use some of it again.

I have so many photos saved because I am required to keep everything active for six months.  I keep most for two years or more on backups.  This is common in business.   It is one of the guarrantees I offer clients.  You are not, again, in that situation.  Don't be afraid to delete.  Don't be afraid to be critical.

If I were you, now, my basic suggestions would be get a better monitor, get Photoshop Elements and take classes.  All the classes you can!  Use what you have and learn it.  You have a better camera and lens, than most people in your situation have.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Again the approch about things like changing a lens is different too.  I never even give it a thought.  If I am on a job and need to change the lens, it gets changed.  That is what CPS is for, if needed.  Again why the pro gear is made so tough and strong.   Sometimes the only difference between pro and consumer lenses is build.  Not IQ.

I was referring more about the camera than the lens.  I try to keep dust out of the camera mostly.  I will be extra careful when I change mine.   I'll use my car whenever possible.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the last couple years, when I get the oppertunity to do a shoot, I have found myself, taking one body.  Possibly two.  And two, possibly three (not often), lenses.  One reason I am selling off so much stuff.  I simply will never use some of it again

I intend to have 2 bodies in the future, a FF and my 60D, and will not have to change out lense so often.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you're saying get PSE 13, instead of LR.  Not sure I'm understanding your reasoning.

I will read, checkout Utube, seek out help, and take all the classes I can......and practice, practice, practice.  Far as my gear I would never be happy with low quality in my gear.  I've learned that over the years with all my other hobbies.  Consumer level gear usually just don't satisfy my needs and have all the features I want.  Although once and awhile they surprise me with a model or two.   Prosumer, and Professional gear is what I usually buy.  I bought the Rebel so I could determine how much I'd like DSLR's before I invested more money into this art.  Now that I know I like it very much, I want to get better gear that meets my needs.   The least lens quality I will buy is midgrade, (when they meet my IQ and other needs) but I won't buy low quality lens.  I'll get L's when I can because I think they are the best investment, Pro or not, and they will last longer and rarely disappoint.  I may get a few midgrade lens when they meet the IQ level I'm looking for.  Same with tripods, I want a tripod that is sturdy, does'nt shake like "Don Knots" LOL.  I've seen many that I like, I think decent, that don't break the bank.  I have a Manfrotto Monopod and a Dolica tripod and they work well for me and they were under $200.00.  They both are sturdy and feel solid.

As much as I hear about some 3rd party lens, and how good they are, I don't think I'll go that route.  I will stick with Canon and feel confident they will always work with any future Canon body I may buy.  I heard that 3rd party lens are reverse engineered and it's possible they may not work well with certain future Canon bodies.  My biggest concern in it all, as you say, is getting the right gear that works for me.

Highlighted
VIP

[ Edited ]

"Now .saying get PSE 13, instead of LR.  Not sure I'm understanding your reasoning."

Simple!  Now that you have changed your goal.  You don't want to go pro.  Elements is a better way to go for that purpose.

It does everything LR does and almost as much as PS.  And it does it for a fraction of the price.

"As much as I hear about some 3rd party lens, and how good they are, I don't think I'll go that route."

Not a bad idea but you will be short changing yourself if you don't consider Sigma and Tamron lenses.  Its your money and its your choice.