cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

never heard of microcenter drives.  i usual use wd or seagate, preferably wd.

"never heard of microcenter drives."

Microcenter is a store.  They have all brands there.  It is a chain so you may have one.

EB

@jazzman1 wrote:

Well I don't see the harm in staying with RAW since I've started to use RAW and it's really no botherr.  If the RAW files are absolutely better than jpg why would i not go RAW.   And do you save the RAW pics in your H Drive instread of saving jpg????  RAW files are big so I will have to have a dedicated drive exclusive for RAW files.

I'll let those who use Lightroom and Photoshoppe advise you regarding those editors. But if you're going to continue to use DPP (and I would if I were you), the advantage of shooting in RAW is significant. Because it's specifically designed for Canon's RAW format, DPP is easier to use, and does a better job, on RAW files than on JPEGs. The advantage extends to printing. If you have a decent printer attached to your computer, you'll get better results if you print directly from DPP than if you save the image as a JPEG and then print it. (Note, however, that differences in printer quality have an even greater effect. So if you're going to have a picture framed for decorative or competitive purposes, you should save it as a JPEG at the highest resolution available and send it to a good commercial print shop.)

Yes, RAW files are big, but JPEGs can be pretty big as well. When you save a RAW file as a JPEG, you have considerable latitude in your choice of resolution (i.e., size in pixels) and picture quality (usually specified on a scale of 1 to 10 and reflective of the amount of file compression allowed for each selected value). You should be sure to select a value for each of those parameters that's sufficient for the application, but choosing values that are too high is just a waste of spece.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

i will continue with dpp for now, besides it's all i have to work with.

btw.....i also have picture style editor can i use it too???   does it go with dpp or are they for different purposes.  seems to have some of the same features as dpp.  i suppose dpp is the better program since no one has even mentioned pse.

"i will continue with dpp for now, besides it's all i have to work with."  "i also have picture style editor can i use it too???"

Good!

Any and all the software that came with your camera from Canon is fine for a hobbyist.  Even for advanced amatuers, it is OK.

None of it will work for a professional business.

I know lots of good, really good, photographers that produce fantastic work and have no intention on going into or making it a business.  I almost cringe when somebody comes up and says can I help them go into business as a photographer.  Most people have no clue as to what it takes to make a living at this.  If you love shooting pictures, you probably don't want to become a pro.  That does not mean you can't pick up a job or two on the weekends, etc.

There are two free clones of Lightroom.  One is Darktable and the other is Lightzone.  Either is pretty good, you might like to try.  They are free and look almost like LR.

EB

That's good to hear.  Right now, all i want to do is master my camera and take pics i'm proud of.  1st things 1st.  no offence, but i never asked you to help me go into business.  remember, you asked me what my goals were, you asked what was my plan.  So i told you.  I really do appriciate your willingness to help me toward a business but all i wanted and still want is to learn photography.  If i'm good at that, all the rest will fall in place.   But if i'm no good as a photographer, a business would only be an expensive failure.   You know the saying...find something we love to do and figure a way to get paid for doing it.  I love photography.  Even if i go into business one day, it'll only be partime.  I never wanted to make a business where I would live off photography income, I have a comfortable retirement income.

i've been wondering what darktable was, i've seen it alot in guys tags here on site.  i will look at them.  I suppose for now I'll try to tackle some of the free ones.  You keep showing me pics of your recent work, so guess you do, more than just play with your toys.  You do take very nice pics and I see you're very artistic with your photo's with your post work.  I know it's hard to make a living in photography for the average joe, i know it's alot of work, i'm under no illusion about that.  I can imagine there must be alot of good photographers out here who cannot earn a living with their work.  Photography is fun to me and has many side benefits also.  Soon I'll start taking day and weekend  trips just to have fun with my camera

BTW....One of the things my classes will touch on is composition.   The instructor said we should take pics that tell a story.  I'm eger to hear what he says about that.   I do need to put more thought in what and how I shoot.  All 3 of these classes I'm taking are very basic though, just enough to get a rookie's tong wet to want to learm more.  later there will be a class on lightroom.  I'm looking forward to that also.  My biggest worry about being out taking pics is changing lens out in the elements.  How do you safely change your lens when working?   Have you ever caused issues with your camera/lens doing that???   We have'nt said anything about tripods/monopods, what do you say about those???   What to look for in a good one, and is price  important???   Unless I am doing photography as a business, I can't see the value of tripods $1,000.00 or more.   Heck I'm happy with mine (have 2) and they cost less than $200.00 each

" I really do appriciate your willingness to help me toward a business but all i wanted and still want is to learn photography."

There any number of approches to a goal.  One is not buying gear twice. If you are OK with that, it makes no difference.  If you have that goal in mind but go out and buy willy-nilly you will waste money.  If you want my personal and brutaly honest opinion (don't read furtther if you don't).  You should forget the business end of the deal.  Go out get some stuff and have fun.  You will be much happier.

Now if we are back to sticking with amature gear, just get what fits you and you like.  Tripods or software or, whatever.

EB

You should forget the business end of the deal.  Go out get some stuff and have fun.  You will be much happier

That I will my friend.  I do want to stick with EF L lens.  I ilke decent gear and know that quality pieces are the better investment. 

I did want to know what level of tripods is best to get and the best brand.  I also asked what is the best process to change lens out in the elements.  Now that I only have one body, I'll have to change lens sometime.

"I did want to know what level of tripods is best to get and the best brand.  I also asked what is the best process to change lens out in the elements.  Now that I only have one body, I'll have to change lens sometime."

On the best tripods, as an amatuer/hobbyists, any of the top brand will do.  You have to remember the requirements are different for the gear a professional needs as compared to hobbyists.  Get the best for you. One that fits your budget.  Is easy to carry and use.  I personally use Manfrotto for traveling and it would be a good choice.

Again the approch about things like changing a lens is different too.  I never even give it a thought.  If I am on a job and need to change the lens, it gets changed.  That is what CPS is for, if needed.  Again why the pro gear is made so tough and strong.

Sometimes the only difference between pro and consumer lenses is build.  Not IQ.

Amatuers and advanced amatuers simply don't put the stuuf to the same abuse as we do.  And, I might say, at this stage of my life and career, me too.

For the last couple years, when I get the oppertunity to do a shoot, I have found myself, taking one body.  Possibly two.  And two, possibly three (not often), lenses.  One reason I am selling off so much stuff.  I simply will never use some of it again.

I have so many photos saved because I am required to keep everything active for six months.  I keep most for two years or more on backups.  This is common in business.   It is one of the guarrantees I offer clients.  You are not, again, in that situation.  Don't be afraid to delete.  Don't be afraid to be critical.

If I were you, now, my basic suggestions would be get a better monitor, get Photoshop Elements and take classes.  All the classes you can!  Use what you have and learn it.  You have a better camera and lens, than most people in your situation have.

EB
Announcements