cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

i think i made a mistake telling you my ultimate goal is to have a business.  i think that made you take a different route in teaching me.  i really think you're trying to teach me and encourage me into areas i'm not ready for yet.  be better if you saw me as the rookie i am, and just help me learn the basics.  i trully don't see raw being an issue right now, especially since i've already started using raw.  whether i see the defects or not has no bearing on me taking pics in raw.  i will see it as i learn, i'm positive about that.  i'm doing, and trying to learn, best as i can, and moving too fast into stuff before i'm ready can not be helpful.  if you forget about the business aspect, and just see me as a rookie in photography, i'll move right along i'm sure.  far as the lens and camera i get, that's one of my charactor defects.  i always will get the best gear for whatever it is i like to do.  it was that way with my audio/video gear, my pc's and all my grown up toys.  i would get the best camera and lens i can afford even if i only took pics every now and then and not take things as serious as i have.  i just appriciate quality gear.  seriously, let's just slow down and take things as they come.  i'll understand all you tell me in time.   but too much at one time will only overwhelm me and my process of learning will slow down.  I believe you have the best of intentions and i do appriciate all you've taught me.

Biggs, the file won't open.  None of the programs I have can open it, least that's what they all say.  I'm gonna take a break and try to find the answer to this.  I get this with alot of files it seems.  I will get back after I find a solution.

You know Biggs it does take a little longer to convert RAw files to Jpg.  I have to set the pexel number and then start conversion.   Not a long time nor hard to do but it does take longer than just uploading Jpg.  I'm practicing cleaning up pics and adding more color, brighten when needed, etc.  I see I can even shapen a pic.  I see why some folks pic look so good, you can doctor most bad pics up to look good.  Comparing my own pics to others I see I've been comparing apples to oranges, LOL.

I do need to find another place to take pics, I need different challeges to get better.   One can only do so much with the same scene over and over.  I'm going to look for new interesting places to shoot. 

As I see it I will have 3 lens as my basic setup to work with.  50mm, 24-105mm, maybe 70-200mm or the 70-300mm.  I like the extra reach the last lens has.  Then maybe I can add a 150-500mm or 150-600mm.  That's 4 lens in all, but I'm not sure I won't need a few specialty ones for certain shots.  I'd be happy to only have to have 4 lens total, but not sure if they're all I would need.  I know it'll be good for awhile with only the 3, but when I start a business I may need a few more.  But I don't want to duplicate any of the range I'll already have if I don't need to.  So I will only get the best lens I can afford.

When I start my business I may need to upgrade from 4L mm lens to 2.8L mm's lens, what do you think?????.  But that's a ways off, at least a year or two from now..  I will also be in business with my video's and DVD/CD's.   Many folks today want their pics on DVD and CD, instead of on Photo Paper, though I'll do photo paper also.  Then I can make a nice slideshow with special effects, even background music.   I can really make memories folks will cherish.  I have 2 camcorder's now, a consumer and Prosumer level.  I plan to replace the Consumer Camcorder with a Professional Camcorder.  I had a video business back in the days of analog gear, when you were into 35mm.  Digital threw a monkey wrench in my world.  I had to start all over and learn digital and it has'nt been easy for me.   I'm just getting the hang of it all..

You did'nt push me into anything Biggs, you did what any good teacher would do.  You encouraged me along to do better.  It worked, and I'm the better for it.  I've had to do the same thing when I've mentored guys.  People are always intimidated with change and learning new things.  Especially when learning don't come easy.  But alls well that ends well (grin)  I ain't mad at you my friend.

You're right about the inches vs. pexels, I have no problem with that.  To each his own.  Depends on what you're doing and trying to acheve and the program yu're working with.   I think I know what pexels are, they make the resolution in a photo sharp.  I don't know the tecnical explenation, but I know you need a minimum number of pexels for a given sharp image.  And I know if you crop a pic, your image will suffer if you don't have enough pexels to start with.  Anyhow I think that's right.

As far as computers go, what you have will run DPP and LR with no issues.  There is no need to upgrade it.  You do need a pretty good monitor and as big as you are comfortable with.  A good video card, too.

I think I know what pexels are, they make the resolution in a photo sharp.

Hmmm...Smiley Happy...do we need to start a discussion of pixels?  Almost nobody understands what they are.

EB

Far as pixels my mouth is closed, I'm all ears.  Don't want to look more stupid than I already look.  Continue please.!!!!!!!!!!

I have 2 decent monitors.... 17" 1080p on one of my i7 laptops, and a 22" 720p on one of my desktops.  But the desktop only has an intell i3 Processor, and not that good a graphics card.  All my Pc's have 8gb Ram.

"Biggs I see the wavyness in the pics, but I see that in the RAW as well as the jpg.  I can't tell the difference.

BTW...What's the fastest SD card you use with your camera's.  I want the fastest my camera can utilise.  I'm using SanDisk Class 10 Extreme Plus 80 mb speed .  Is that overkill with my 60D and SX60 HS Super Zoom???"

First the SD card.  The fastest card is usually not a requirement unless you shoot video.  It is always best to use the SD card that Canon recommends in your 6D manual.  As a matter of fact, it is always best to use what Canon recommends no matter what accessory it is.  They built and know your camera better than anyone else.

Second do you not see unwanted aritfacts in the shadow areas?  How about noise?  How about a loss of sharpness?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to RAW in post.  ...

I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant to say.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Good lord, Bob from Boston, I need a keeper.  Smiley Frustrated  You are absolutely correct.

"The RAW has been converted to RAW  jpg in post.  ..."  I edited it!

I do disagree on the pixels vs inches, however.  Not saying in time a person shouldn't use it, but for starters it is far easier to understand the size of monitor they have.  When you teach people, almost anything, you need to start slow with baby steps.

Another reason I want Kareem to just use one ot two or perhaps three pictures until he understands DPP ( preferably LR or PSE).  I want him to use "P" mode and AF for now.  With evaluative meter and a set ISO of say 200 to 400.

If he insists on DPP, maybe you can give better pointers than I.

EB

Biggs I will certainly use the settings you suggest here.  After class today I thought of dropping my ISO to 100.  I was using 400.  But I will try your 200-400 setting.  I'm all for moving to P mode and AF.  In fact, that's what I've been using all week.  I got off auto a few weeks ago.  Basically I will be using the setting you named from now on till I stepup from there.  I noticed a few things lately that had got by me.  On several pics in the last few weeks I thought I had taken pics outta focus.  But on close examination I realised my camera had focused on something closer than what I was aimong at.  That made the object I was trying to capture, out of focus, and the closer object in perfect focus....like a tree leaf for instance, or tree, or some other object. near'er to me.

Sorry Biggs, not saying you're wrong about the pics you posted, just that at this point, I don't see what you see far as defects in that Jpeg pic.  Not you, it's on me, I just don't see what you see yet.  My eye is not trained enough yet to see it.

Announcements