Did you mean: 

DSLR 101 3.0

jazzman1
Rising Star

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Unless there is only one item in your viewfinder, which is next to impossible, there are an infinite number of distances between you and the items.

Only one distance is in perfect focus, and depending on depth of field, a range of distances will be in acceptable focus.

Zooming the lens doesn't change the distance anymore than it compresses the distance between objects.

Maybe it's my imagination, but I often feel a tugging on my leg when I read some of these postings.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

"... when we 1st met and talked about the lens I should buy."

And I believe I also stated you needed a goal.  You changed that goal.  That changes what gear you really need.  Buying just to be buying is often times very costly.  Just ask me!  I have no goal except ... fun.

There may be times when using all the focus points is good.  However, I can't think of any.  The best use of all the points is selection in a particular situation.  Otherwise I use just the center. And I have 45 with 39 cross-type.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

And I believe I also stated you needed a goal.  You changed that goal.  That changes what gear you really need.  Buying just to be buying is often times very costly.  Just ask me!  I have no goal except ... fun

I'm not faulting you at all, in fact I agree with your logic, even now that my goals have changed.  But since I will keep my 60D when I move up to FF, maybe a few quality EF-S would be in order.  Maybe in the future.  Right now since EF's seem to be serving me well, I'd like to concentrate on EF's.

After I changed just to my "center" focus point, I took test shots (3 of each lens) outside my door and all were dead on target., from wide, to mid, and long range.    I used 3 different lens, a EF-S, EF, and EF L. lens   That seems to have solved my delimma, thanks again.  My goal is to have fun too, though not in the same way as you.  My primary goal in buying lens is not duplicate ranges I really don't need to, or I should'nt buy twice.  I really don't want to waste money here.  And I want  good performing lens with good IQ.  Won't be many more L's I don't think (maybe 50mm) especially when I go for a Zoom in a 600mm range.   The L's in that range are much too heavy and costly for me.   Unless I have a special need for one.    I agree that many lens reviews are not reliable info to make a choice on any particular lens.  But I still think (for me)  they can be helpful.   I will only buy lens from a top source like Canon, B&H, or Best Buy, where I'm guaranteed I can return it for a refund if for any reason I'm not satisfied.   My own evaluation of a lens is what I will use to make my choice.   I've sent 2 lens and other products back to those places, and had no trouble at all getting a refund.  And the refund or excahange was prompt.   I only buy from authorised Canon Dealers.   I've learned my lesson long ago with those off brands, and deals too good to be true.

A couple more things   Smiley Happy

" Won't be many more L's I don't think (maybe 50mm) ... "

EF 50mm f1.2 L II ?  Really ?  This is a seriously expensive lens.  It is also very difficult to master.  It is very heavy and it requires a front protecto filter.

It is also one of my most favorite lens. Smiley Very Happy  But I don't recommend it to anyone that isn't willing to put the time in and learn how to use it.  Is that you?  The EF 85mm F1.2 L II is even harder to master and even heavier.  But is a wonderfully fantastic lens.

"Unless I have a special need for one."

You can rent!  I don't but many folks do.  My niece, in the business now, rents all the time and it works for her.

"I've learned my lesson long ago with those off brands, ..."

Appearently not!  There ARE some very good "off brands" stuff out there.  You just need to know which.

"I agree that many lens reviews are not reliable ..."

And at this point of your maturation, you are not able to tell which one is and which one isn't.  How can that possibly help you?   The reviewer might not have know how to properly focus.  And then wrote a review that said it wasn't sharp.  Sound familar?  Think about it. 

EB

Won't be many more L's I don't think (maybe 50mm) ... "

EF 50mm f1.2 L II ?  Really ?  This is a seriously expensive lens.  It is also very difficult to master.  It is very heavy and it requires a front protecto filter.

Have no fear Obiwan, I won't get that lens for sure.   That's why I said maybe, but not really.   I was thinking of a Art Lens, but really did'nt want to say.   I was hoping you caught my drift  Smiley Frustrated

You can rent!  I don't but many folks do.  My niece, in the business now, rents all the time and it works for her

Yep, I'm aware of that and may just do that

I've learned my lesson long ago with those off brands, ..."

Appearently not!  There ARE some very good "off brands" stuff out there.  You just need to know which.

I know there are a few other lens in 3rd party brands that stand out, I'm not talking about them.  I been listening to you Obiwan  real close on gear you think good.   I have my eye on the ones you told me about  Smiley Happy.   I just did'nt want to name them, but yeah, I'm looking at the "comtemporary" in a 600mm Zoom.   The Sport and Canon L's are just too big, costly, and heavy for me.   I think you know the one I mean.    I've been reluctant to name any 3rd party lens, even the good few.  I listen to you well when you point out good gear.  Like you, I think most are 2nd rate and not worth hard earned money  Smiley Frustrated.   But the ones you've told me about are on my long range list for sure  Smiley Wink .

And at this point of your maturation, you are not able to tell which one is and which one isn't.  How can that possibly help you?   The reviewer might not have know how to properly focus.  And then wrote a review that said it wasn't sharp.  Sound familar?  Think about it.

Obiwan you don't listen to what I say very good sometimes.  Read my reply again, you missed my statement.  I said I will read reviews but won't let any make my choice to purchase for me.   I will judge each lens I buy from my own evaluations and real life tests.  If any don't hold up to my satisfaction, I will return it for a refund.   I have learned.  In fact, I've never bought a lens just from reading a review.  All I've recently bought were ones you agreed was good.  EF 24-105mm L, EF 50mm f/1.4, and of coarse my 70-300mm L which you gave your nod on.  The EF 28-135mm  witch I returned, after I got the 24-105.   I replaced my EF 75-300mm kit lens with the 70-300 L.   I had gotton the nifty fifty f/1.8 before we met.   I got the EF-S 18-200 mm for a all around, and it's filled it's purpose.  I know you don't like it but I did'nt get it cause it set the photography world on fire  Smiley Wink    Anyway I got it the day we met in the mail.   I buy my lens from reputable dealers who have excellant return policys.  I don't lose anything but time if a lens don't workout.     I listen to you Obiwan, more than you think.   If any gear  is in question to me I will always ask your opinion  Smiley Wink.

@jazzman1 wrote:

Won't be many more L's I don't think (maybe 50mm) ... "

Have no fear Obiwan, I won't get that lens for sure.   That's why I said maybe, but not really.   I was thinking of a Art Lens, but really did'nt want to say.   I was hoping you caught my drift  Smiley Frustrated

You can rent!  I don't but many folks do.  My niece, in the business now, rents all the time and it works for her

Yep, I'm aware of that and may just do that

I've learned my lesson long ago with those off brands, ..."

I know there are a few other lens in 3rd party brands that stand out, I'm not talking about them.  I been listening to you Obiwan  real close on gear you think good.   I have my eye on the ones you told me about  Smiley Happy.   I just did'nt want to name them, but yeah, I'm looking at the "comtemporary" in a 600mm Zoom.   The Sport and Canon L's are just too big, costly, and heavy for me.   I think you know the one I mean.    I've been reluctant to name any 3rd party lens, even the good few.  I listen to you well when you point out good gear.  Like you, I think most are 2nd rate and not worth hard earned money  Smiley Frustrated.   But the ones you've told me about are on my long range list for sure  Smiley Wink .

Obiwan you don't listen to what I say very good sometimes.  Read my reply again, you missed my statement.  I said I will read reviews but won't let any make my choice to purchase for me.   I will judge each lens I buy from my own evaluations and real life tests.  If any don't hold up to my satisfaction, I will return it for a refund.   I have learned.  In fact, I've never bought a lens just from reading a review.  All I've recently bought were ones you agreed was good.  EF 24-105mm L, EF 50mm f/1.4, and of coarse my 70-300mm L which you gave your nod on.  The EF 28-135mm  witch I returned, after I got the 24-105.   I replaced my EF 75-300mm kit lens with the 70-300 L.   I had gotton the nifty fifty f/1.8 before we met.   I got the EF-S 18-200 mm for a all around, and it's filled it's purpose.  I know you don't like it but I did'nt get it cause it set the photography world on fire  Smiley Wink    Anyway I got it the day we met in the mail.   I buy my lens from reputable dealers who have excellant return policys.  I don't lose anything but time if a lens don't workout.     I listen to you Obiwan, more than you think.   If any gear  is in question to me I will always ask your opinion  Smiley Wink.

Against my better judgement, I'm gonna chime in, uninvited, to second a point Ernie Biggs has been making for weeks: You are entirely too preoccupied with equipment. You're primarily a street photographer. It's what you enjoy doing and apparently what you're best at. One of the main things a street photographer has to learn is to travel light. Vivian Maier, one of the most prolific and admired street photographers ever, trudged around Chicago with nothing but her Rolleiflex TLR and a handbag full of film. Most photographs of Henri Cartier-Bresson, the founding father of street photography, show him wearing a beat-up old Leica with the 50mm pancake lens that was popular at the time. Their simple equipment let them blend into the crowd and put their subjects at ease. And they didn't arrive home every night with a screaming backache.

The plain truth is that you are already well equipped for your chosen role. You have a perfectly serviceable camera in your 60D, and your 24-105 lens is one of the best street photography lenses currently in production. And you now have a telephoto that's plenty long enough for covering the jazz performances that are a staple of your photography. So you don't need an Art lens or an f/1.2 or any of the other exotic items you seem to crave. Forget about a "long range list" and concentrate on getting better at what you're doing now. The future will take care of itself, and a year from now you may have a completely different take on what you need. Above all, spend your time taking pictures, not reading catalogues and reviews. Or arguing with Ernie about whether he misunderstands your goals.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hey Bob good to see you, been wondering where you were.  Have no idea why you thought coming here was not a good idea.  But in any event, I'm not home at the moment I'm at a favorite wi-fi spot.  But I will cont. when I return home this eve.  You've said some interesting things and most of them I have to say, I agree with you.  As you know I respect yours and Biggs knowledge and opinions on Photography, as well as other chaps on this site.   That probably won't change either way.  Be back soon my friend.

Ok Bob I'm back.  Before I address your concerns I will give you a little background info, to maybe help you understand my motives and actions.  1st off, I'm a Cancer surviver, had liver Cancer Surgery this past Feb at Mayo Clinic, and have other health issues I'm dealing with.  When I was told I had Cancer late last year, and that surgery was highly recommended immeditately, I was devestated.   Going through this process has impressed upon me my very own motatility.   It's made my outlook on life so different than before, and really makes me appriciate the simple pleasures and joys in life I use to take for granted.   It's also made me stop projecting too far in the future, and concentrate just on today.   Now, I try to enjoy everyday as if it's my last day, but also I try to live as if I would live forever....because I just may  Smiley Wink  

You hit the nail on the head when you said I like street photography and cultural/social events.   It depicts life in all it's elements and I like to capture those moments.  The ups and downs in life, the joy, as well as the downside.  But I do also want to do landscaping, I just have'nt put as serious an effort in doing so yet, but I do intend to.   But I do have my tools now for that, don't I !!!!.   Nothing I've bought, I could'nt afford, nor has anything put me in any kind of financial bind.   But I have no idea if that will change, if I start incuring huge medical bills in the future.   Right now I'm seeing 3 different Docs and am conttinuing taking tests and going for treatments and checkups.  But no matter what may happen to my finances in the future, I now have most of the gear I'll need to do what I love.   I've mainly used my EF 24-105mm L, and EF 70-300mm L to get accustomed to using them.  To understand how to use them, and the best shots for each to be used for.  But for most of my street and event photography, as you say, I should traval light and I do.  Most days I only take my Canon EF-S 18-200mm walkaround cause that's all I need.  There's days I go out shooting just for fun and practice, not to take serious shots.  I put the wear and tear of practice shots on my walkaround lens.   For those days I want my best shots I take my 24-105mm L.   But there's 2 things about that walkaround lens where I thought it fell short.  It's longest range is only 200mm and it's a EF-S, that I could'nt use on FF.   This week I got a replacement walkaround, a 18-300mm, so it also takes up the slack when I don't have my 70-300mm L..  And it's a lens I can use with a FF body when I decide to get one, if I get one.  I'm still in the testing stage with it, but if it works out as good as I hope, it'll replace my 18-200mm.   I intend to learn to use all my gear and learn Photography to the best of my ability.  Some days that's better than others but I try not to complain and take it all in stride.  Learning this stuff is hard enough, just itself at 68, so I try not to add to that grief.... stuff I don't feel really matters.  I take life and my photography today 1 day at a time.  I'll either reach my goals or I won't.   But I can have great fun and enjoyment on this journey no matter the outcome, or whatever else I go through day to day.  Long range goals are good, but not as good for me now, as living in today.

I will say no more about any gear I may acquire, nor expect anyone to try to teach me photography on this site.  I only hope that someone will be kind enough to help me with any problems I may encounter day to day with photography.  Or issues with my camera, lens or/and my pictures.  I ask no more than anyone else here when they make a new post seeking help.   

I still have the utmost respect for you, biggs, and all the great people here, trying to help.  I also marvel at some of you guys knowledge and read your posts most days.  My goals and process may not be what some think it should be.  But all I can do at this point is do what I think best for me.  Hope to talk again soon my friend, your help as been invaluable, and I know it can be again.

@jazzman1 wrote:

This is a article, I think, is refuting DOF as I understand you guys are explaining it.  I'm not saying it is, I don't know...I'm learning.   Is he, "Ken", saying the same thing you guys are, or is his take a different spin on DOF???     Your feedback of what Ken says here would be very helpful..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/focus.htm

Well... I made it all the way to the 2nd paragraph... and Ken is already wrong.  <sigh>

Ken is a bit of a hack.  He blogs to suppliment income and sometimes he says controversial or just out-right wrong stuff.  I suspect part of the time he does it because he doesn't know... and part of the time he does it because controversy drives traffic to his website.

My feedback on Ken is.... don't read Ken.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

This is a article, I think, is refuting DOF as I understand you guys are explaining it.  I'm not saying it is, I don't know...I'm learning.   Is he, "Ken", saying the same thing you guys are, or is his take a different spin on DOF???     Your feedback of what Ken says here would be very helpful..

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/focus.htm

Well... I made it all the way to the 2nd paragraph... and Ken is already wrong.  <sigh>

Ken is a bit of a hack.  He blogs to suppliment income and sometimes he says controversial or just out-right wrong stuff.  I suspect part of the time he does it because he doesn't know... and part of the time he does it because controversy drives traffic to his website.

My feedback on Ken is.... don't read Ken.

LOL LOL LOL...coming from you and Biggs says alot.  I know all I need to know about his opinion.....Thanks much.

BTW...Since this topic is DSLR 103 3.0,      Everything you guys say here may be valuable, to not just me, but also other newbies who may look in.  Some of you peeps are amazing with the knowledge you have.  Won't mention any names, to protect the innocent, but a few of you guys are Human Photography Dictionaries.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Negative. That's not what I want talking about. I was talking about when you focus at a particular point that distance is perfectly sharp and a range around that is acceptable based on the circle of confusion that establishes DOF. One might control DOF by choosing aperture to selectively highlight the subject.

Hyperfocal distance you select a focus point so that the closet and furthest item of interest is in acceptable focus relying on DOF.

I know you know this; I just to be sure all readers do.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Not negative.  They are really extremely related to each other. Most people wil be happier with hyperfocal distance than COC.  COC depends on the sensor size and viewing medium.  Hyperfocal distance is lens driven.

EB
Announcements