Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

Any teacher that doesn't push there kids or students to the right course isn't worth having.  If I let the kids in the beginning music class do as your last post indicates you want, no one would learn to play music.  It is the same with photography.  You start with easy basic stuff and progress.  Hopefully.  When things begin to stray you pull them back to the course at hand.  If you took a course for a grade in the local comminity college, do you think they would let you wander off topic?  Without trying to get you back?

You have a point, however!.  It may be time to,"...  then I let him bump his head till he gets tired."

EB

I agree with what you're saying about direction and teaching.   I'm talking about telling someone what and what not to buy.  Yes, students are expected to follow whatever guidelines are given for any particular course or class.  They must manitain class room standards.   That's not what I'm referring to here.  We're not in a class room here.   I've followed your suggestions and direction, except when it was about buying something I either did'nt want, think I need, or could afford to buy.   And you never mentioned any stardards or guidelines I was to follow.   You said do whatever works for me.   Buying what works for me has nothing to do with folowing photography instructions.   I will learn at the same pace if I have 1 lens or 5.  I will learn at the same pace no matter what I own, except something I need that I don't have.  In fact, having certain gear is sometimes essenial, to understanding some things in photography.  We must have our tools for practical understanding of the things we have to learn.    Hands on so to speak.   As long as I have the tools I need to learn what I need to know, whatever other purchases I make should not be a issue here.

You seem to think I have gotton off track by buying some of the gear I've bought.   Please tell me where and when that happened???.   Where have I gone off track???   Don't tell me what I bought that you don't agree with, tell me where I've gone off track in my learning photography???  What is it you seem to think is holding me back???

On letting me bump my head, I think your idea is to withdraw and not help me at all untill I see things your way.  That ok, if that's the way you see it, that's your right.    But that's not something I've ever done or will do.  I still help people while watching them bump their head cause it's not about me.  Sometimes I even chuckle a bit watching them struggle through their pain.  After all it's their head hurting, not mine.  Most learn over time.  Sadly a few do not.

f you think that's me second-guessing you, you'd be wrong. You're a more impulsive purchaser than I am, I suppose, but that doesn't mean that what you're doing is wrong. What you should guard against, IMO, is letting other people make decisions for you. And especially against encouraging them to do so

Hey Bob.  Sometimes it takes me awhile thinking over stuff before I get proper perspective on things said to me.   I think I understand more now the points you're making here.  Looking back, I'm beginning to think you're right on your point of view.  Did'nt think so when I 1st read your post, but now I'm starting to see the part I played in what you're saying.  I don't think I have let anyone make alot of decisions I really did'nt want to make.....maybe 1 or 2.   But on the encouragement part, maybe you've hit the nail on the head.  But in doing so I thought I was doing the right thing.   It's always good to give credit and encouragement whenever one feels it's due.  But sometimes we run the risk of creating a difficult situation for us to deal with.   It's another learning situation, and no matter how well our intentions are, we still evaluate the results of our actions and change where needed.

I posted a question to you about DPP, but you never responded, so I deleted it.  I have to assume you had your reasons and you thought not replying was the best course of action.  It's Ok my friend and still hope to pick your brain again soon  Smiley Wink

@jazzman1 wrote:

I posted a question to you about DPP, but you never responded, so I deleted it.  I have to assume you had your reasons and you thought not replying was the best course of action.  It's Ok my friend and still hope to pick your brain again soon  Smiley Wink 

Most likely I just hadn't gotten around to it. Or I thought that since you're switching to Lightroom, the question had become moot. Try me again if you're still interested, and I'll see if I know the answer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

Most likely I just hadn't gotten around to it. Or I thought that since you're switching to Lightroom, the question had become moot. Try me again if you're still interested, and I'll see if I know the answer.

It is moot now, since I uninstalled DPP, and re-installed.   Whatever was the problem with DPP it's solved now, DPP is working fine.   Though I do have LR 6 now, I will also keep using DPP.   I can only install LR 6 on 2 Pc's (1 desktop, 1 laptop), and will have to use DPP on 2 other Pc's.   Though I will put most of my focus on LR 6 for now ( I know I'll have a big learning curve),  I will need to learn many new features.    But I will need to be profient with both editing software programs.   I'm hoping Obiwan will help me along with LR, but will still need your help also, with DPP.

"On letting me bump my head, I think your idea is to withdraw and not help me at all untill I see things your way"

And it is.  Smiley Frustrated

I am throughly content to let you bump away.  The problem with beginners is, they don't know, what they don't know.

In the fact of learning Lightroom and/or DPP, it is not which is better at this point.  It is the fact they are diffucult to learn from the start.  Trying to learn both at the same time just complicates the matter.

Plus I am not up to or am I going to argue over the issue.  It is your choice as all has been.  Go for DPP first and when you are satified with it, try LR next.  You may find DPP is all you need.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"On letting me bump my head, I think your idea is to withdraw and not help me at all untill I see things your way"

And it is.  Smiley Frustrated

I am throughly content to let you bump away.  The problem with beginners is, they don't know, what they don't know.

In the fact of learning Lightroom and/or DPP, it is not which is better at this point.  It is the fact they are diffucult to learn from the start.  Trying to learn both at the same time just complicates the matter.

Plus I am not up to or am I going to argue over the issue.  It is your choice as all has been.  Go for DPP first and when you are satified with it, try LR next.  You may find DPP is all you need.

Since I have paid good money for LR, I'd be stupid to not learn how to use it.  Since I have 2 Pc's that does'nt have it installed, at times, seldom I agree, I may have to use them and I have DPP on them.   I do understand your logic defining the 2 programs and the difficulty learning both..... I agree.   My main focus for now will be on LR, since I feel it's the better of the 2 programs (I have DPP 3)  and I can do things with it I cannot with DPP.  Will let you know how I'm coming along.

Obiwan I just shut my Pc down, i'm beat,  and LR is a wopper.  I see I got my work cut out for myself.  I managed to import my pic files but stopped there.  I looked in "preference" but did'nt know what to change or any settings I should make.  I decided to do nothing for now, before I changed something, or made a mistake, I should not do.   I'll tackle it tomorrow when I'm fresh.  I do have a club meet downtown with a class on composition.  But I will get to LR before I go.  I'm gonna try and learn what I can from the help file.   Oh buddy...feet don't fail me now  Smiley Frustrated

On that conversation about attaching the camera strap to the tripod mount on the camera when carrying heavy L lens...I got a question.   The thought occured to me about the weight of the lens, bearing on the camera lens mount, when we use that lens on a tripod.  Would'nt the same weight pressure be on our camera lens mount...or not???   Seems to me the weight on the camera mount would be the same???   And if so, why does'nt the lens weight pose no problem when on a tripod.  Not saying you guys are wrong about what you said, I agree on that.    That's why I bought the Canon lens ring mount.    I'm just asking for clarity when that same weight of the lens is on the camera, while on a tripod, as when hanging from a sling strap when attached to the camera mount.   It's a puzzle to me.  Not arguing what was said just needing clarity.

First off you are not using your head.  In one case the camera is supporting the lens.  In the other the lens is supporting the camera.  Does that not make sense?  I guess it does boil down to which is heavier.

The longer the lens gets, the more it acts like a lever.  So the weight increases dramatically.

All lenses have some distortion.  Either pincushion or barrel along with some other stuff.   The photos I corrected for you were user error.  Plus LR automatically corrected for the rest of the ungoodies the lens has.

There are two things here that effect distortion.  One is you didn't hold the camera horizonal.  Which you didn't.  The other is perpendicular to the subject.  Which you didn't.  The first is easy to fix in LR.  The second is not.

You must see your lens as a cone accepting light rays.

Look at this.  It shows how that type of distortion would effect you photos

images.png

Comprende amigo?  Smiley Happy

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements