Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

B

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

IMG_3441.JPGIMG_3438.JPG

I must be missing something. I see little or no lopsidedness in the first picture. The second is less clear-cut, but I'm not sure I see it there either. Coastlines are tricky. As a coastline recedes from the viewer, it will appear to converge towards the horizontal centerline of the picture. That's because more vertical space is being subtended, the farther out you look. Remember what I said about verticals; they look pretty much OK to me. Don't be fooled by the flagpole; the flag is pulling it in the direction of the wind. Note that the building behind it is straighter. You may just be too picky.

Another thing I'm beginning to notice (or think I see) is many structures built on the water don't seem to all be perfectly level.   If not, then things on the water will line up different from eachother.  If so, maybe that's a factor in me getting my frames correct.  If I'm using something as a focus point, and that object is not straight itself, my lines will be off in my pic.   Just a thought that just popped up.

I've been taking shots and looking at my pics carefully and have come to the conclusion that many of the problems with straight lines, such as buildings are distortion.  Either barrel or pincusion.  I do know that some of my pics were my fault not getting the shot right, but not all.   On close examination I believe distorion was at fault on some.   Even in the pics I posted here.  I mentioned this when I posted them, but no one commented on that.  As I said then, in one pic the building to the right of the pic leaned to the right.   The building on the left side of pic leaned to the left.   That can't happen from operator error, if it can, please tell me so..

BTW............How did your trumpet playing come out yesterday???   You and Obiwan are very gifted peeps, I tell ya.    I'm a fustrated musician myself, always wanted to play the guitar but never learned.    Most of my favorite Jazz artist are guitar players.  Love sax, trumpet, and piano also, In fact I like all the instruments.   Loved Miles Davis, Lee Morgan and Freddy Hubert.   The new players are good also.  The "Jazz Attack", at the Jazz Fest was fabulous.  Here's a pic.   Huge Groove, Richard Elliot, (Sax) and Peter White (Guitar)               BTW...This was a nite shot about 100 yards away (EF 70-300mm)

IMG_3366.JPGuitar)

All my jazz or music is with students.  Mostly kids.  I also play 2nd trombone in the Olathe Civic Orchestra, 1st trombone in the Shawnee Concert Band and 2nd trombone in the Hallmark Cards Company Concert Band.  I have done many, many musicals in the pit for Gardner Community Theather.  There's more mostly just as boring so I won't bore you further!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

All my jazz or music is with students.  Mostly kids.  I also play 2nd trombone in the Olathe Civic Orchestra, 1st trombone in the Shawnee Concert Band and 2nd trombone in the Hallmark Cards Company Concert Band.  I have done many, many musicals in the pit for Gardner Community Theather.  There's more mostly just as boring so I won't bore you further!

You're very gifted my friend.  And you're giving back to your community.   Thumbs Up   Smiley Wink

@jazzman1 wrote:

BTW............How did your trumpet playing come out yesterday???

Well, I didn't make a fool of myself. But I was playing only simple stuff - mostly "Taps" over and over at various cemeteries along the parade route. Playing a brass instrument isn't rocket science. Your lip and overall technique will deteriorate over time. But it's like riding a bicycle: you never forget how.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

BTW............How did your trumpet playing come out yesterday???

Well, I didn't make a fool of myself. But I was playing only simple stuff - mostly "Taps" over and over at various cemeteries along the parade route. Playing a brass instrument isn't rocket science. Your lip and overall technique will deteriorate over time. But it's like riding a bicycle: you never forget how.

Bet you did great.  That must be tuff playing "Taps" over and over all day.  I give you guys brownie points just for that.  Playing Trumpet may not be rocket science but it's a talent I sure wish I had learned.  As I said, I'm a frustrated musician myself.

Can DPP 3 correct any of the issues I'm having with my pics???

@jazzman1 wrote:

It can adjust the rotation, if that's what your asking, and can handle an unusually small increment - 1/100 degree, IIRC. IOW, less than one minute of arc. It's in the same tool that does cropping. (Do any necessary crop first, then the rotation.) In DPP 3 it's off in the "Tools" menu, but a little better integrated with the GUI in DPP 4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

It can adjust the rotation, if that's what your asking, and can handle an unusually small increment - 1/100 degree, IIRC. IOW, less than one minute of arc. It's in the same tool that does cropping. (Do any necessary crop first, then the rotation.) In DPP 3 it's off in the "Tools" menu, but a little better integrated with the GUI in DPP 4.

I was talking about straightning my lines, to correcting other stuff like barrel and pincusion distortion, and the other things I am encountering with my pics that need correcting.  Don't know what IRC, IOW, nor what ARC is???

BTW.....I used "Peripheral Illumin. Correct. yesterday, I had it disabled.  Then when I processed my RAW pics as usual none of the correction features (sharpness, color, tint, etc) in DPP would work.  All I could do was batch process to Jpeg and change size.   Seems if I use this feature in camera, DPP disables itself from any post corrections. 

I did download the data for my 70-300 to DPP.   But don't think it is going to be input in my camera.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements