Legend
Legend

Maybe you will like these better.  I try to please! Smiley Happy

_D4_9792.jpg

_D4_9797.jpg

_D4_9806.jpg

_D4_9809.jpg

_D4_9812.jpg

All with my best of class, 1.3 body the EOS 1D Mk IV.  Birders favorite camera!  I love this camera. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
150 REPLIES 150

Man Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Wink

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I may change how I think here, I've been known to do that from time to time. "

Hmm, ... really!  The biggest issue with new 'still' photographers is, they don't know what they don't know.  Smiley Frustrated

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I may change how I think here, I've been known to do that from time to time. "

Hmm, ... really!  The biggest issue with new 'still' photographers is, they don't know what they don't know.  Smiley Frustrated

That is, I think it's fair to say, a failing not unique to photographers (still or otherwise).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That is, I think it's fair to say, a failing not unique to photographers (still or otherwise).

Thanks for you guys insightful observations. 

And by the way I agree with all that's been said about the high quality of lens by XYZ makers.  I've been reluctant to name any brands other than Canon for fear that my post will get deleted.  For some strange reason others can do that but some of us seem to get hit for saying less.  So, whenever I fail to give a XYZ brand any accolades it does'nt mean I don't agree, only I feel I'm treading on water here and don't want to rock the boat.

"Hmm, ... really!" Smiley Wink

They don't delete unless you break one of the rules.  After all it is their site and it is a Canon site, pretty fair to say, don't you think?

They don't want you pointing to third party web sites.  And they don't want you to advertize other brands.  Not too difficult to understand.  But I have mentioned Sigma and Tamron and I believe I have reported the facts and truth about them.  I do consider all the rest as pure junk and not worthy of reporting.  Oh, yeah, there are a few high end lenses but insignificant for the vast majority of us.  Plus they all have issues of their own.

Canon is not dumb.  They know the score and the competition.  Maybe they gather some market info from it?  Who knows?

Up until a few years ago, maybe two, I would not touch a third party lens.  Things change. I have changed.  They have changed.  Nobody, but nobody makes the lenses that Canon does. Period!  End of story.

EB

I was out shooting last night for the 1st time after dark in my same favorite park.  My results were not very good.  I tried to get shots of downtown accross the water that I take all the time in the daylight.  I had my 24-105 f/4L and 70-300 f/4-5.6L.   A few shots were ok, I had to raise ISO to 1600, even to 6400 at some ranges, stopped down a notch, and kept my range at 70mm with the 70-300mmL.  Anything I tried to shoot at any closer zoom range (100-300mm) my camera struggled and the shots blurry.  My 24-105mmL did a little better on the park around the park lights.    Some shots on the park around the park lights were Ok, but anything accross the water was'nt much good.  I see I'm going to have to get a faster aperture lens for night shots but not sure what I should get.  I know I will need f/2.8 or faster.  What would be a good all around 1 lens choice for low light???  What aperture and Zoom range???   Or is an all around lens not a good choice for this???

Canon has a new EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens that's an upgrade to the old one for the same price.  It has better specs, even a metal seat, over the older 50mm.  Would this be a good choice to replace the old 50mm f/1.8, or is the EF 50mm f/1.4 a better choice???   I've heard about focusing issues with the 50mm f/1.4

Comparison Chart [Mod note - Cleaned up and fixed link]

BTW....It just dawned on me that I could use my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for nightime low light shots.  I had it with me last night but did'nt think to try it.  I only have used it 1 time since I had it and most times I even foget I have it.  It does'nt have a metal seat and I've heard it may stick to my camera and be hard to take off.   For this reason, I've been reluctant to use it.

First you know I only comment on lenses that I have personally used.  At least I try to manitain that posture.  Since I have not used the new version of the 50mm f1.8 I can not comment.  Personally I do not like the EF 50mm f1.8.  I have had two of them.  For the average Joe, they are probably, OK but not for me.  They do not, or at least have not stuck on any camera that I have ever used one on.

The EF 50mm f1.4 is a very fine lens.  I highly recommend it.  It is not a full stop faster than the f1.8 you have, however.  Never the less, I would sell the f1.8 and buy the f1.4 today!  Now if you really want the King of 50's, you want the EF 50mm f1.2 l II.  This is THE 50mm.  There simply is nothing like f1.2.  It may not be quite as sharp as the f1.4 and it is harder to use correctly but well worth it.  So much so, I sold my Sigma 50mm f1.4, the sharpest 50mm made, in favor of the EF 50mm f21.3 L II.

If you want the shapest 50mm on the planet, the Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART is it.  Period.  I do think everybody should have a 'normal' lens.  That is a 50mm on a FF and a 35mm on a cropper.

But it don't get any better than this combo.  The 1Ds Mk III and the EF 50mm f1.2 L II.

IMG_0254.jpg

I know the 5D Mk III guys (!Bob from Boston!) are turning blue because I chose the DS3 but except for the high ISO thingy the DS3 is the better camera.  I sold all my 5d's, (1, 2, and 3) remember.

EB

I know the 5D Mk III guys (!Bob from Boston!) are turning blue because I chose the DS3 but except for the high ISO thingy the DS3 is the better camera.  I sold all my 5d's, (1, 2, and 3) remember

I tried to find your Canon DS3 but failed to find it.  Is it a new camera not for sale yet???    B&H did'nt have one.  I was curious to know about it since you put such high accolades on it.  It must be a fine camera since you say so.  You think better than the Mark lll huh!!!

@jazzman1 wrote:

I know the 5D Mk III guys (!Bob from Boston!) are turning blue because I chose the DS3 but except for the high ISO thingy the DS3 is the better camera.  I sold all my 5d's, (1, 2, and 3) remember

I tried to find your Canon DS3 but failed to find it.  Is it a new camera not for sale yet???    B&H did'nt have one.  I was curious to know about it since you put such high accolades on it.  It must be a fine camera.

Ernie's talking about his 1Ds Mark 3. It's a large, heavy, very expensive full-frame camera from several years ago. It has since been replaced by the 1DX, another large, heavy, very expensive full-frame camera. Both are designed for long life and abusive use under challenging conditions. Unless that happens to be what you need, you should probably not consider buying one. In your particular case, you'd have to be crazy.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jazzman1 wrote:

I tried to find your Canon DS3 but failed to find it.  Is it a new camera not for sale yet???    B&H did'nt have one.  I was curious to know about it since you put such high accolades on it.  It must be a fine camera.

Ernie's talking about his 1Ds Mark 3. It's a large, heavy, very expensive full-frame camera from several years ago. It has since been replaced by the 1DX, another large, heavy, very expensive full-frame camera. Both are designed for long life and abusive use under challenging conditions. Unless that happens to be what you need, you should probably not consider buying one. In your particular case, you'd have to be crazy.

You're probably right here Bob.  Biggs likes stuff that will take a licking and keep on ticking.  I like good gear myself, but subject my gear  to as less abuse as I possibly can.  I really baby and handle my gear gently.  So I probably won't be needing gear of that nature.  I'm still looking toward your Mark lll cause you told me it's excellent ability with low light.  Untill you told me that, I never even considered a body for that reason.   Maybe by the time I'm ready to get a FF body, Canon will have come out with a newer better body for low light, or better yet, new tech to tackle that issue.  Would'nt surprise me none with tech improving at the speed of light these days.  And I kind of have the feeling Canon is working on stuff to blow the comp out the water in the near future.   Some of the new gear put out by 3rd party companies recently, should have Canon looking over their shoulder.....for real.  Canon can't keep their perch at the top anymore sitting on past accomplishments.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements