cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10, sickenning slow

sensia25
Contributor

Ever since I purchased 80D, I have to move on to DPP4 which is becoming more of hassel to use. I had DPP3 working perfectly with 60D files. It was fast and snappy. Then came DPP4. On a highend i5-4690k/16GB RAM system, this freaking software works like a dog. A file deletion locks up the screen for seconds. RAW processing is slow as hell. Please, Canon, bring back the snappy DPP3.

I have read adding a Nvidia based GPU may improve the speed of DPP4 but I don't want to spend 100 dollars on anew GPU. Canon, how about enable support for OpenCL from ATI?

End of rant.

17 REPLIES 17

Even photographers don't use Kelvins the way when they are selecting lighting.

For examle, when you buy lighting, you might want 'daylight' color balance.  The daylight is about 5700ºK... that's the actual temperature of our Sun -- a G2 class star.  

If you hate the "white" LED light bulbs with the pale blue cast and prefer the light bulbs that resemble what you had with an incandescant light with a golden cast, then you're probably shopping for something in the 2500-3000K range. 

If you look at Orion in the winter, you might recognize the stars Betelgeuse and Rigel.  Betelgeuse is a red super-giant star with a temperature of 3500K.  But Regel - the blue star - is about 11,000K.

If you own a telescope, then during the summer months you can point it to Alberio - the head of the constellation Cygnus the swan.  But Alberio is actually a double-star and it's one of the most interesting doubles becuse of the very strong color contrast between the two stars.  One is definitely blue, the other is gold.    The "gold" star is just a tiny bit over 4000K.  The "blue" star is a a little over 13,000K.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albireo).

Higher color temperatures are bluer... not redder.  Hotter, higher-energy sources pump out wavelengths of light that repeat more frequently.  That produces a bluer color.  Lower energy sources produce wavelengths that repeat less-often... each single wave is longer.  That produces a reddish color.

When you buy lighting systems, the color temperatures represented in Kelvins are basically correct for photographic lighting... it's only incorrect when you deal with post-processing software such as DPP or Lightroom. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

You can fight it all you want there Tim but you ain't gonna change it.  We both know the facts but others do not and could care less.

No different that the stubborn dpi confusion.  Look at how these guys on this forum replied to that!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@TCampbell wrote:

I get that people will refer to an image as "warmer" as having more amber/orange/red tones and a "cooler" has more blue tones.  My problem is that they state that in Kelvins... and they get it backwards.  If the kelvin value is higher then the image will change to the BLUE side... not the red side.

I agree with your previously stated point about "warm" vs "cool", but in this case I think you misunderstand what DPP is doing. When they set the color temperature (in degrees K), they're referring to the presumed color temperature of the ambient light, not the colors in the image. So if you change the color temperature from 5200 (daylight) to, say, 5700, you're telling the program to correct for a 500-degree increase in its assumption of the color temperature of the ambient light, i.e. to make the resulting image 500 degrees less blue.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

I get that people will refer to an image as "warmer" as having more amber/orange/red tones and a "cooler" has more blue tones.  My problem is that they state that in Kelvins... and they get it backwards.  If the kelvin value is higher then the image will change to the BLUE side... not the red side.

I agree with your previously stated point about "warm" vs "cool", but in this case I think you misunderstand what DPP is doing. When they set the color temperature (in degrees K), they're referring to the presumed color temperature of the ambient light, not the colors in the image. So if you change the color temperature from 5200 (daylight) to, say, 5700, you're telling the program to correct for a 500-degree increase in its assumption of the color temperature of the ambient light, i.e. to make the resulting image 500 degrees less blue.

Ahhh... now that makes sense!   I was baffled as to why the colors were shifting opposite of what they should.  

This means, in theory, that if I take a RAW shott outside at mid-day (clear sunny day) then bring it into DPP or LR and adjust the white balance to 5780k (the color temperature of sunlight) then I should get reasonably accurate color balance.   (There will likely be some variation based on the sensor filters for a given camera model.)

I learned something new today.  Thanks Bob!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The program thinks like a camera and not like a physicist. The temperature slider in LR and the reason the adjustment seems backwards is that you are choosing a color temperature to compensate for, not setting what the color temperature of the image should be. In LR reducing the color temperature value cools off the image, while increasing it warms up the image. This certainly seems backwards based on the actual Kelvin scale for color temperature.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@sensia25 wrote:
None of that effected DPP3. The culprit is DPP4. WMP has nothing to do with DPP4 as was evidenced from procmon log.

Okay.  Mine runs just fine, though.

[EDIT]. BTW, you're correct about none of it having anything to do with DPP.  I never said it did.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I noticed a little sluggishness... a typical adjustment seems to have about a 1-2 second delay before the screen updates.  Granted their huge RAW files.  

Mostly what I notice are that in DPP, if I change the white balance, saturation, or most other global image adjustments ... there's about a 1-2 second lag before it shows up on the screen.  If I do the same in Lightroom it seems to happen almost in real-time (delays are minimal).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I noticed a little sluggishness... a typical adjustment seems to have about a 1-2 second delay before the screen updates.  Granted their huge RAW files.  

Mostly what I notice are that in DPP, if I change the white balance, saturation, or most other global image adjustments ... there's about a 1-2 second lag before it shows up on the screen.  If I do the same in Lightroom it seems to happen almost in real-time (delays are minimal).

I hope this works.  First time I have ever uploaded to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/btUuHHqvOQs

That is a short clip of how my DPP4 runs on Windows 10.  Does that look slow.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements