cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4.6.10.0 vs DPP 3.14.40.0 and Canon 550D / 1000D

olafcanon
Contributor

Hello all,

Over the years I took a lot of RAW pictures with my Canon 1000D and later with my Canon 550D

Yesterday upgraded to DPP 4.6.10.0 with the serial number of my Canon 550D (EOS Rebel T2i)

Most of my RAW files have edits (mostly rotate 90 degree / Rotate / Crop / White Balance) done with DPP 3.14.40.0

DPP 4.6 shows the files... but all the edits are gone!

I took an old un-edited RAW picture copied/renamed it and did the same simple edit and save with 4.6 and 3.14

The files are very different and of different length.

Is there a way to convert the DPP 3.14 processed RAW files to a DPP 4.6 format without losing my edits?

A tool that recurses maps would be great.

Thanks,

Olaf

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"Is there a way to convert the DPP 3.14 processed RAW files to a DPP 4.6 format without losing my edits?"

DPP doesn't process edits util the file is exported as a JPEG or TIFF. DPP just associates edit recipes with the file and reads thoe recipe when you open the file in DPP. DPP4 cannot utilize the edits/recipes from DPP3 or earlier.

You could convert the DPP3 files to TIFF and then import them to DPP4 for further editing, but you couldn't undo the DPP3 edits.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hello John,

You in fact just describe my problem.

Let me explain what I would like in a bit more detail.

I took a picture in RAW several years ago. Say img_001.cr2

I used DPP 3.14 to change the White Balance and Crop it a bit.

Today I have DPP 4.6 which looks a lot nicer.

I now like to continue working on img_001.cr2 and open it in DPP 4.6

It reads the image and all the setting of the camera, but the edits (White Balance and Crop) are gone.

What happens (as far as I can see is) is:

- The edits are saved in the RAW file by DPP 3.14 in the way it is done for DPP 3.14

- The file is opened in DPP 4.6 and it reads all the original data, but the edits I made with DPP 3.14 are ignored.

What I would like is a tool that:

- Read the edit date from img_001.cr2

- Convert the edit date (My WhiteBalance and Crop) in the (new) DP 4.6 format.

- Add the edit data to the file img_001.cr2 and write it to a new location, or to a new file, or make a backup. Whatever.

The result is a RAW file with the original edits in a DPP 4.6 readable format.

I can then open that file in DPP 4.6 and continue to work on it.

All this is much like converting a document to be used by a diffferent word processor.

You write:

"but you couldn't undo the DPP3 edits." 

But I do not like to UNDO the edits.... I like to USE them.

I like to CONTINUE with a RAW file with the original edits. In case I later like to export it to TIF or JPG in a slightly different way.

So what I need is an UPGRADER to upgrade my edited DP 3.14 RAW files to DP 4.6 format, so I do not have to use 2 incompatible versions.off DPP.

Olaf

Hi Olaf.

Unfortunately, you can't do what you want with RAW files. You could convert to TIFF and continue editing in DPP4 but you couldn't use DPP specific features like Picture Style, DLO, ALO, etc., only general editing tools.

If all you did/want is crop and WB its not that big a deal to repeat it in DPP4. Even though the names are similar DPP4 and DPP3 are different programs. Just like Lightroom won't read DPP edits.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

Maybe it is not possible with the Canon software at this moment.

But I feel they better start working on an upgrader.

I have 14000+ RAW files and most have been edited.

And it is not rocket science. But you must know the inner details of how the RAW file is composed for both versions of DPP.

I hope the one day a tool turns up so I can type:

>DPP3_to_DPP4 *.cr2 /s

Where the /s switch means: recurse all maps....

- Olaf -

Hi John,

I just now did the following:

Copied a RAW file from my camera to a map.

renamed it a.CR2

copied it to b.CR2

Opened a.CR2 in DPP 4.6

Changed the White Balance

Cropped the Image

Closed DPP 4.6 - It asked me to save the file and I did

Now I noticed that the new file (from DPP) is 5 kByte longer....

Opened a command prompt and....

c>fc a.cr2 b.cr2 /s

FC: a.CR2 longer than B.CR2

My conclusion:

DPP 4.6 does NOT change the actual image and camera and exif information of the RAW.

It just adds the edits to the end of the file.

But in another format compared to DPP 3.14

Time to sleep...

- Olaf -

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Hi Olaf. I'm just an end user. I don't have any insight into the way the software works.

Have you done a comparison of DPP3 edits and DPP4 to see if DPP4 is better. I haven't.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That is my understanding. RAW files are never altered. Recipe files are appended. DPP4 will not read earlier DPP recipes and vice-versa.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I agree about the appending of edit date to the bare RAW. That would surely be the best solution. You can thus always recover the unaltered RAW.

But it also makes it a bit easier to write a tool to strip the edit part from a DPP 3 processed RAW, converted it to the DPP 4.6 standard and append it to the bare RAW data.

Like I said before: not rocket science, but you need to fully understand the data formats used for both versions of DPP.

Looks like a nice job for Canon 🙂

Plenty people must now have the same problem.

Where are the DPP developers. I mean Japan/USA/Europe?

- Olaf -

@olafcanon wrote:

Is there a way to convert the DPP 3.14 processed RAW files to a DPP 4.6 format without losing my edits?

Incredibly, no.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements