cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D7, D70, or ???

BlessedFarmgirl
Apprentice

Looking for advice- D7 or D70 or...?

Thanks for the add! I’m an amateur photographer. I’ve used my cell phone extensively for pictures, bought a Rebel T6 about 9 months ago to step into the dslr world and didn’t want to spend a pile of money if I wasn’t going to use it. Well, I use it and now am trying to decide what the next step is.

I “think” I want a D7 or a D70. Right now and for the next 6 years, I’ll be shooting sports. I want fast frame rate and good in the diverse lighting gyms offer. There is a 7D with my dream lens (70-200) for $1000 in my area.

Price is a factor in my decision. The one thing I love about the Rebel is the WiFi capability.

What are the pros and cons between the D7 and D70? Is an eyefi card worth it? I just got a 50mm lens and tonight will be the first time I’m trying it.

Other than sports, my main subjects are landscapes.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Do you mean the 7D and 70D? D7 and D70 are more of a Nikon nomenclature.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@BlessedFarmgirl wrote:

Looking for advice- D7 or D70 or...?

Thanks for the add! I’m an amateur photographer. I’ve used my cell phone extensively for pictures, bought a Rebel T6 about 9 months ago to step into the dslr world and didn’t want to spend a pile of money if I wasn’t going to use it. Well, I use it and now am trying to decide what the next step is.

I “think” I want a D7 or a D70. Right now and for the next 6 years, I’ll be shooting sports. I want fast frame rate and good in the diverse lighting gyms offer. There is a 7D with my dream lens (70-200) for $1000 in my area.

Price is a factor in my decision. The one thing I love about the Rebel is the WiFi capability.

What are the pros and cons between the D7 and D70? Is an eyefi card worth it? I just got a 50mm lens and tonight will be the first time I’m trying it.

Other than sports, my main subjects are landscapes.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated!

I am just going to assume that you’re referring to the Canon 7D and 70D DSLRs, not Nikons.  On that note, I am going to suggest that you first spend some time learning more about your T6, and the Canon lineup especially.  Although, if you really want to step up to the next level, then you will definitely want to upgrade your body.  I’m just saying make an informed purchase, one based upon your own experiences, and not so much that of others.

Learn what your T6 can do, especially when it comes to ISO performance.  Admittedly, the T6 is an entry level camera with few of the bells and whistles found on a 7D or 70D.  Those are older bodies, each with its’ own history of pros and cons.  I am not sure Canon USA still repairs [either] of them, anymore  Getting repairs is something to consider.  One reason people might sell a camera is because it can no longer be factory repaired.

Invest your money in TOP quality lenses, because your images will never be any better than the “glass” that you are using.  Most any of the current Canon 70-200mm lenses are part of their professional grade “L” Series of lenses, and are an excellent buy.  I suggest that you find out how old your dream lens actually is.  Buying used lenses can be chancy.  I do not advise spending a lot of money on any lens, sight unseen.  And, if you do not know what you are looking at, then I do not advise buying any used lens, at least not without a trusted friend and fellow photographer at your side.  

Wi-Fi does not impact image quality, at all.  The T6 has somewhat limited Wi-Fi capability, and and Eye-Fi card may have even less.  The company stopped making them a few years ago now, AFAIK.  If you are serious about shooting, then you will want to shoot as RAW files, not JPEG files,  If you do not know what that means, then pick up your T6 and try it out.

RAW files allow for more extensive control over your editing, which is crucial if you want to up your game..But, RAW files may not transfer via Wi-Fi to a web service.  In fact, you cannot transfer RAW files, except as a multiple file download to a computer.

If you are interested in shooting indoor sports, then you will most likely will have poor lighting and will not be able to use a flash, either built-in or external.  Gyms tend to have poor lighting.  Under such conditions you would want an f/2.8, or faster lens.  If there is such a thing as an all purpose sports lens, then a 70-200mm would be it, and an f/2.8 versions would get my vote, as best choice.

Shooting most sports would require a fast shutter speed, somewhere around 1/800 or faster.  Your T6 would struggle under those conditions, because of its’ below average ISO performance, by today’s standards.  You will find that the older 7D and 70D are really not significantly better than the T6 in that regard.  In fact, their ISO specifications are all nearly identical.  Those bodies represent more of a feature upgrade, than a performance upgrade.

For what you seem to want, I would not advise either the 7D or a 70D.  In fact, I do not advise buying both a body and a lens at the same time, due to your limited budget.  I would advise buying a top quality lens, first and foremost.  Or, buying an enthusiast grade, or semi-professional, camera body.  Both the 7D and 70D were once at the top of the heap for enthusiast camera bodies, but that was several years ago.

Excellent low light performance comes at a price, which is another reason I advise buying either/or, but not both a body and a lens at once. You want to buy it once, and buy it right the first time.  Avoid the seductive temptation to buy something “for now”.  Any photographer can tell you that they have been down that road at least once, and it is [not the frugal path to building a great camera bag.

Right now, the best camera for low light performance under your $1000 budget is a full frame sensor body EOS 6D at the Canon Online Refurbished Store, and it gives you a one year warranty, which is not something you will get buying used gear.  

But, I do recommend that you buy a quality lens before you upgrade your body.  There is much the T6 can still teach you.  Buying an EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens just might be the best investment you could make at this point.  It is fast, and very sharp.  It is not an EF-S mount lens, so it would work with either your T6 or a full frame body like the 6D.  

Follow the 50mm lens up with one of the current Canon EF 70-200mm that are offered in the Canon Refurbished Store.  They sell out quickly, so you may wind up having to buy a new online from Canon, or an authorized Canon dealer.  I buy all of my Canon gear [either] direct from Canon, or from one of the top online Canon retailers, B&H Photo Video in NYC.  

I foresee spending double what your budget currently is to begin to get the performance that you seem to want.  Half of that would go towards a body, and a bit more than half would go towards a near professional grade lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Like the other posters I am assuming you are refering to Canon equipment - the nomenclature can be a bit confusing but Canons are identified by a D(number) while Nikons are idenifited byt (number)D.

Frankly I think you should stay with the body you have until you can clearly say that the body is holding you back.  All photography begins with mastering the three pillars of exposure , Aperture,Shutter speed and ISO.  I would recommend working on mastering the relationship between them and their individual effects on what you want to focus on, how you want to capture speed and how you manipulte the sensitivity of the camera to light.

It is only comparitivelt recentl that technology has allowed us to have all the other sophisticated features that your camera already has, but limiting yourself to the basics will build a basis of knowledge and skill that will allow you to take great images with any camera.

As has been said before, If you really want to upgrade your equipment then look to better lenses.  Camera bodies are replaced with frequency and lose their resale value quickly, but lenses are a long-term investments.

You need to figure out what kinds of things you want to capture - for example you may want to specialize in bird photogrqaphy, in which case you want to invest in long telephoto lenses; but if you like to take portraits then you would consider something in the short telephoto range with a fairly small f Value - to limit your depth of field and isolate your subject from the background.  You have not identified what lenses you have so it is difficult to give more specific advice.

The best investment you will ever make is to gain more knowledge and skill: they will help clarify what you like to shoot and you will have a better technical knowledge to evaluate the units available,  If you have not done so I would suggest joining a camera club and learning from the other members, and if you have library access search the catalogue for an item called Lynda.com - if it is there you have free access to a huge range of educational videos from top photographic instructors that will take you through every level and many types of photography.  It is a great educational resource.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Like the other posters I am assuming you are refering to Canon equipment - the nomenclature can be a bit confusing but Canons are identified by a D(number) while Nikons are idenifited by (number)D.

No, it's the other way around.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It can't be Nikon.  There is no D7, yet and the D70 is obsolete. However, the Canon 7D and 70D are no longer made new. So, my question is, are you looking used?  If so the 7D is a far better choice on the used market than the 70D simply because it is build way more durable.

"The one thing I love about the Rebel is the WiFi capability." Not on the 7D is on the 70D.

"I’ll be shooting sports. ... "my main subjects are landscapes." Either can do both.  Don't let anybody tell you one or the other can't.

"Price is a factor in my decision"  Looks like that is the determining factor but the 7D is the better choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements